Bending 1/8" steel plate without a brake - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Bending 1/8" steel plate without a brake

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-25-2011, 11:35 PM   #16
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

For the bend location... leave your corner big then bend it. After its bent ... hold up to the Jeep and mark where it needs to be cut for a perfect fit...

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #17
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Saw this pic on Pirate... it might not be too difficult to increase the size a bit to get the proper radius.

pissa
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #18
Swagoffroad
Vendor
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here is my solution to bending plate steel, as for a ~6" radius I would agree for this one off part it is cheaper to buy than to fabricate Jeep corner armor.

20 Ton Press Brake DIY Builder Kit

Press Brake kit comes unassembled, you do the final assembly and welding.

Designed to fit the Harbor Freight 20 ton press.

Press Brake includes adjustable back stop and side top for accurate repeatable bends.

Max Bending Radius (deg.) 110

Max. Bending Capacity 3/8" plate

Max Bending Width 19.25"

Tools required for assembly, welder, grinder, level, small square.

THe DIY builder kit includes the following parts:

Press brake base plate
Side stop
Back stop
Top machined die
Bottom die
Back stop guide rails
Top die guide rail rod
Top die guide rail DOM tubing
Top die ram center 1.75" dia tubing
(2) 3" threaded rods
(2) Shaft collar locks
(2) Springs
Misc fasteners
Detailed Instructions

Click here to view Youtube demo video.

http://www.swagoffroad.com/20_Ton_Press_Brake.html

Thanks Troy

Visit us on Facebook
Swagoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #19
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I found a company that will fab the blanks up for me. I'm working on the minute details now for the CAD drawing. The cost is minimal compared to what it would cost me to do myself. $200 shipped, and then I can cut the excess off. If it works out, I might see about having more made for the JF crew if they are interested in diamond plate steel corners.
Unread 04-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #20
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Please keep us updated, I have been wanting a pair of steel diamond plate corner guards also. But the only ones I've seen are the thin aluminum ones.
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #21
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Hey athos76, any updates? I tried to pm you but you're box is full.
Unread 02-17-2013, 03:09 AM   #22
WJDaddyTrick
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughboy View Post
I'll tell you what I use, but beware it probably isn't the safest way, and it is certainly a miss use of equipment. I bought one of those cheap harbor freight pipe benders for $80 with one of there 20% off coupons. As a pipe bender, it sucks, but I use the 3/4 in. die, place a 4 in. piece of 3/4 in square tube in it with the edge up. I then place the flat plate cross ways thru the bender. I place a couple of c-clamps at the top of the bender to add a little strength, and bend away. I have bent up to 1/4 x 4 in plate into a 90% angle this way. It beats the way I used to do it by a long shot, I used to clamp the plate to my work bench, heat it with my torch, and bear down on it with long crescent wrench handle. I'll post up pics of anyone is interested. PS. I really like the press picture from pirate, I'll have to make one of those, it's probably much safer.
Yes please. Interested in pics.
WJDaddyTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #23
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by athos76 View Post
Well, I found a company that will fab the blanks up for me. I'm working on the minute details now for the CAD drawing. The cost is minimal compared to what it would cost me to do myself. $200 shipped, and then I can cut the excess off. If it works out, I might see about having more made for the JF crew if they are interested in diamond plate steel corners.

When I got these done a few years back using the local company...was about $120 bucks. Rather than "having the jeep"...I used cardboard across the top of the rear corners and traced. Gave them the tracing with the measurements needed. You can see how the broke it ever couple inches. 3/16" plate. Fit like a glove.

Unread 02-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #24
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

You can bend up to 5/16" A36 with a large arbor press. I did some that was 20" wide with some gentle bends in it. You can bend 10ga at a fairly sharp 90 using three pieces of angle iron, two welded side by side on a piece of flat plate and the third piece of angle iron used to push down the piece you want bent between the welded angle iron.

WSS

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #25
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raider View Post

When I got these done a few years back using the local company...was about $120 bucks. Rather than "having the jeep"...I used cardboard across the top of the rear corners and traced. Gave them the tracing with the measurements needed. You can see how the broke it ever couple inches. 3/16" plate. Fit like a glove.
Any chance on getting contact info for that company? I'd love to get a quote from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sik78cj7 View Post
Hey athos76, any updates? I tried to pm you but you're box is full.
Sorry about that. I had to put the project on the back burner for a bit due to my wife deploying. I got a new quote for the company and they upped the price to 285 from 200. So I decided to shop around. My local welder might let me use their brake to attempt it myself as long as I buy the steel through them.
Unread 03-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #26
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by athos76 View Post
Any chance on getting contact info for that company? I'd love to get a quote from them.

Harold Butzer Steel in Jefferson City, MO. I can tell you that there recent price increases were the driving force behind getting my plasma cutter....and it wasn't the steel costs..lol. Ask for dan. He's going to want something to go off of so I'd get some measurements and send him an email after talking with him. Then mail him a template cut out of cardboard.

I've got a buddy whom we just put crusher corners on and I could probaby get a template and get some made for you...but with a new plasma table showing up today....it would be a few weeks before I could start on it if you weren't in a hurry.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.