Which bender for roll cages, tube fenders, and bumpers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Which bender for roll cages, tube fenders, and bumpers?

Halloween Savings to die for!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?
Hydraulic 8 100.00%
Manual 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 11-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
j33p4l1fe4x4
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Which bender for roll cages, tube fenders, and bumpers?

Both are roughly the same price.
Just need to know which is better for bending tubes for things such as cages, tube fenders, side steps, bumpers, etc.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5073_200365073

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400412224600

Unread 11-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
KalvinsBlueJeep
1946 CJ2A 

I have both the benders above, the top one will bend thick wall tubing only! bending 2" .095 wall will flatten out and kink and not look very good. the 2nd one is for flat bar only will not bend tubing.

I also have a Pro-tools MB-105HD:
http://www.trick-tools.com/Pro-Tools...4#.UnVPO3cgpwE
with a set of 2 inch dies. bends .095 wall very well but will cost a lot more then the 2 above.

So, if $$ is limited, the top "pipe bender" will work as long as you bend heavy wall tube or pipe. and practice with whatever you buy before you build a actual part. there are many different types of pipe and tubing and they all act a little different while bending.
KalvinsBlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Spend the money in a nice bender or you will spend the money on the tube you crushed repeatedly trying to make nice bends. I have both of these benders and they bring on the suck! Get a pro tools, jd2 or similar.

I found a heavy duty jd2 in eBay for $150. The guy said he bent his JD bender(trying to use thicker tube than recommend) and therefore used his bender as a template to make a new one of 3/4-1" plate. I have one from him and bought jd2 dies and could not beat the price or satisfaction!
Unread 11-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

the first one you posted is a Pipe bender. aka a "tube kinker".

the second one you posted is actually a bar stock bender, not a tube bender. it is made for bending small round and square bar stock as well as some small flat stock as well. that style is what you want, but you need an actual tube bender to build a cage and such.

I have a Pro tools 105 HD with air/hydro conversion and love it.

I'd check out site sponsor Rogue Fab for a nice economic bender. yes it is about $800 but you won't be able to get a ready to go bender for much cheaper anywhere else.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
94jeepman
Jager93

2005 WK 

Top one is for pipe and kinks or dimples the tubing you use. If you want it done nice get an actual tube bender it might be more expensive but you will be 200 times more happy on the out come
KHAKI MEMBER #59

The WK mods: SC flashpaq 3870, flow master super 40, 3.5" X Factor leveling kit, 33" M/T baja claws, 17" pro comp wheels, one 12 inch subwoofer, rugged ridge tailight gaurds, rola rack with 18" extension
94jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
bumperthumper
1995 ZJ 

Fit what it's worth, the top one won't kink the pipe if you fill what you're working with with water and freeze it. The ice helps hold the pipe together. It's the same process they use to bend brass and copper to make trumpets and other instruments.
bumperthumper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome bit of trivia but how do you freeze a 12' stick of tubing? I guess some of you would be in luck but I rather have a proper bender and live in a warmer environment. I've used sand on smaller projects.
Unread 11-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
bumperthumper
1995 ZJ 

Well the only time I've ever done it was 3' in a big *** freezer lol
bumperthumper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

My wife would kill me if the freezer was full of DOM. Get the appropriate bender then look up the hydraulic upgrade. I found a way to mount my bender on the cherry picker frame and use the ram to bend the tube.
Unread 11-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
ZJ-5X

You can cap one end and fill the tubing with sand. Make sure you tap the tube occasionally with a rubber hammer to compact the sand, then cap the other end. Duct tape the caps as well, then bend. Works very well and you don't have to wait for it to freeze or have to worry about rust down the road.
ZJ-5X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Never got the sand trick to work. Not wetting the sand or dry tapping with the hammer. Not to mention the fact that a 20' stick of DOM, full of sand isn't fun to maneuver.
ltrail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #12
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

sand trick is a joke. it does work sometimes, but is not consistant. better off buying a bender meant to do the job than to try to rig one up that is simply not up for the task.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 12-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
1982cj8
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The problem is the bender dies are not made for tubing, they are made for pipe. Pipe and tube have different measurements, tubing is measured outside diameter, pipe is inside. So 2" tube is 2" outside while 2" pipe is 2" inside.

4X4XNORTHWEST.COM
1982cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #14
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982cj8 View Post
The problem is the bender dies are not made for tubing, they are made for pipe. Pipe and tube have different measurements, tubing is measured outside diameter, pipe is inside. So 2" tube is 2" outside while 2" pipe is 2" inside.
It is more the way it bends the material. a proper bends pulls the tube around a die to keep a uniform bend. the HF style pipe bender simply pushes the tube in a simple spot creating a pressure point, therefore crushing the tube instead of bending it like it should. even with proper sized dies, the HF style will not give the same quality bends of a proper bender.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 12-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #15
1982cj8
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yes but part of the reason the tube bender works better is the die is the proper width so the tube cannot expand as it is bent, if the HF bender had that it would not kink the tube as badly. The extra width of the pipe size allows the tube to spread out as it is bent.

4X4XNORTHWEST.COM
1982cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.