Base metal temp affecting welds???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Base metal temp affecting welds????

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 11-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
firejeep344
1983 CJ7 

Base metal temp affecting welds????

Hey guys I was welding tonight and the welds were very porous. It was almost like I had a lot of rust or oil in the weld, but it was clean bare metal. I am welding 1/8" box with a hobart 187 at 5/50 with 25/75 gas nad .030 wire. It got down to like 25 degrees. Welds were great yesterday @ 60 degrees and nothing else changed. Would a lack of gas be doing the same thing? I have like 550 psi left in the bottle and the flow is @ 30 -35 lpm. I also thought my nozzle may be clogged. Any tips and help would be appreciated.

firejeep344 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
Bear-Olemiss
1981 CJ5 

Take a torch an preheat just a touch, to get the chill out. Yes. base metal temp affects welds and BTW gas is too high.. 22-25 lbs
Bear-Olemiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
mcneil
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The torch will also burn off any excess moisture, which causes porosity.
mcneil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2008, 01:56 AM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

check your O-rings on the gun lead. my friend and I screwed around for two weekends trying to figure out why we had porosity...turned out the O-rings where shot. Replaced them & applied a light coat of vasoline and they welds were perfect again.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2008, 05:21 AM   #5
willness33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firejeep344 View Post
Hey guys I was welding tonight and the welds were very porous. It was almost like I had a lot of rust or oil in the weld, but it was clean bare metal. I am welding 1/8" box with a hobart 187 at 5/50 with 25/75 gas nad .030 wire. It got down to like 25 degrees. Welds were great yesterday @ 60 degrees and nothing else changed. Would a lack of gas be doing the same thing? I have like 550 psi left in the bottle and the flow is @ 30 -35 lpm. I also thought my nozzle may be clogged. Any tips and help would be appreciated.
I doubt the base metal temp being 40 degrees cooler would affect the weld considering the thousands of degrees temps created by the arc. Welding mild steel takes place in the coldest of climates without preheating. Your nozzle could need cleaned. Also, you state your gas flow in l/min? You have a funky regulator/flowmeter on that bottle. If it's the one that comes with the 187 it's in cf/h increments, not l/min. One last thing, I think tap 5 might be a bit hot for 1/8" and on tap 5, the wirespeed of 50 i/min would be on the low side. Give tap 4 a try with the wirespeed at 50-55.

Sorry, I have to keep typing here. LOL 550 psi left in the tank is still plenty of gas. That's not your problem. Was there any breeze blowing where you were welding?
willness33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2008, 06:07 AM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

I would check a few things first. If your connection of the gun to the machine is like mine, it is very possible that you are not fully seated into the bracket allowing gas to leak out past the o rings. You could have a gas leak at the back of the machine or the tank.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

If the metal is pretty clean, the next place I'd look is at "lack of shielding gas" as mentioned already. As for the 550psi, that's plenty. I alwasy run my bottle till it doesn't even register on the PSI gauge. Then, I keep my eye on the flow gauge until it drops to about 20ish... or slightly below. When it won't maintain 20cfh, I switch tanks.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #8
firejeep344
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for all the help. I think that it was a clogged nozzle. I cleaned it out and everything seemed ok. I just did a few spot weld though no long beads. I was mistaken about the lpm (thinking of O2 at work) it is cfh, and I turned it down to 25. That should help a tank of gas last longer eh. We'll see how it goes tomorrow when I finish my fenders.
firejeep344 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #9
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I actually have trouble with my welder below about 40 degrees. The wire will not spool out smoothly and instead it come out jerky. Instead of getting the “frying bacon” sound, it more like someone playing a bass line through a blow speaker.

I can sit there and watch the wire slipping on the drive wheel, but it will not improve no matter how much or little tension I have on the drive wheel.

Any suggestions?

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #10
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ROCK View Post
I actually have trouble with my welder below about 40 degrees. The wire will not spool out smoothly and instead it come out jerky. Instead of getting the “frying bacon” sound, it more like someone playing a bass line through a blow speaker.

I can sit there and watch the wire slipping on the drive wheel, but it will not improve no matter how much or little tension I have on the drive wheel.

Any suggestions?
point a small heater at the welding wire? not enough to cause the welder to overheat and shut off, but just enough to raise the temp around the welder to ~50.
Unread 11-17-2008, 07:02 PM   #11
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I've run my welder (Miller 210) in temps below freezing without problems. Maybe your liner needs to be changed out?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #12
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
I've run my welder (Miller 210) in temps below freezing without problems. Maybe your liner needs to be changed out?
Maybe, I have only put like 25lb of wire through it. What is the recommend amount of wire to feed though it before changing it?

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #13
Porky
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would get porosity in my welds occasionally. I tracked it down to the wire i used had corrosion or contamination on intermittent spots towards the end of the roll of wire. What a pain in the a**. I had to strip off a bunch wire and look at it in good light to find it. Name brand wire, pi**ed me off.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #14
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is why I prefer TIG welding.
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #15
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ROCK View Post
Maybe, I have only put like 25lb of wire through it. What is the recommend amount of wire to feed though it before changing it?
i think its about how the material deteriorates over time and use in that time...i.e. sunlight (UV rays) break down plastics, rubber dries out and cracks, steel rusts, etc. How much gas you cycle through will probably effect it too...Argon being very inert will probably make the liner last longer, but flux-core & air will probably deteriorate the liner faster. I'm sure rusty wire would scrap and causes deterioration as well. I don't know crap about liners tho, haven't had to replace one yet...

Linky for reading: http://www.webrodder.com/article.php?AID=205&SID=3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.