axle welds - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > axle welds

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
ArmyFO13F
1999 TJ Wrangler 

axle welds

I am setting up an axle and doing the welds myself. I have nice welds for a beginner but how can I ensure they penetrated the axle and mounts enough? I used a flashlight to look inside the tubes and it seems I have good heat penetration. I am using lincoln 035 flux core with a 90 amp welder. Would it be smartest to tack them on then get them professionally finished?

ArmyFO13F is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyFO13F View Post
I am setting up an axle and doing the welds myself. I have nice welds for a beginner but how can I ensure they penetrated the axle and mounts enough? I used a flashlight to look inside the tubes and it seems I have good heat penetration. I am using lincoln 035 flux core with a 90 amp welder. Would it be smartest to tack them on then get them professionally finished?
90 amp welder is not gonna get it...tack and take to someone who has a more sufficeint machine...

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with the post above, 90 amps just isn't "hot" enough for axle work. Even 140a isn't ideal, but can be made to work in the right hands.

I would go ahead and tack everything in place, and let someone with a larger machine finish the welding.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
ArmyFO13F
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Next question, I have welded the spring perches on. Can I leave them on and have the pro weld over them or should I remove them and start over?
Unread 09-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

You probably can. However, it would definately help to run a grinder over your welds to knock them down.. or even a cutoff wheel to gouge them out a bit.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
ArmyFO13F
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Would a 170a welder do the job? I would really like to do this build on my own and learn things in the process. Thanks for all the helpful input so far guys.
Unread 09-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyFO13F View Post
Next question, I have welded the spring perches on. Can I leave them on and have the pro weld over them or should I remove them and start over?
It really depends on how good the welds are. The problem with most of the smaller machines is they don't have the heat to get good penetration, so while they may leave a decent looking bead, it will have very little penetration. Most shop guys, especially speaking from a liability standpoint, won't weld over old beads, so they will probably be some grinding involved. I know I wouldn't want to risk welding over a questionable bead, as there is too much chance for inclusions, etc...

As far as your other question, a 170a machine should provide enough heat. It still comes down to ability, though, but this is a great chance to work on your welding...just get in some practice!

Remember the old saying, your either a good welder or a good grinder!
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
ArmyFO13F
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tip. I will definately take off the perches and start over with a stronger machine. Gives me a reason to buy a torch anyway.
Unread 10-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

use a ac/dc stick welder and use 7018 rod
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.