anyone used a harbor freight 18 ton pipe bender - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > anyone used a harbor freight 18 ton pipe bender

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-29-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
bft89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

anyone used a harbor freight 18 ton pipe bender

hey im think of getting a 20 ton pipe bender from harbor freight and i want to see if any one has used it and weather it will cut it to bend some pipe for a stinger and maybe some one inch to make some rocker guards/ steps even if i have to use my torch to heat it befor bending thats fine with me

Unread 01-29-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It is a kinker!
90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I haven't used it, but I have read enough about the HF pipe benders to say...
If your bending PIPE, it will probably do just fine. PIPE ≠ TUBE, they have different OD, and it will kink tube without a lot of extra work.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
I haven't used it, but I have read enough about the HF pipe benders to say...
If your bending PIPE, it will probably do just fine. PIPE ≠ TUBE, they have different OD, and it will kink tube without a lot of extra work.
X2. You will kink your tubing with a pipe bender.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have not personally used it but I have heard that it will bend tubing ok if you pack the tubing with sand and seal off the ends. Just throwing that out there.
Wrangler_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
bft89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

im not looking to bend like exhaust tubing i want to bend some stuff to make a roof rack and some side steps and stuff
Unread 01-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have one it makes kinks not bends.
90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
bmxer0122
1987 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...der-94623.html
has anyone had experience with this bender? I would be using it to make a custom bumper and maybe tube fenders.
bmxer0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxer0122 View Post
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...der-94623.html
has anyone had experience with this bender? I would be using it to make a custom bumper and maybe tube fenders.
Did you see this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Freight
* Great for copper and aluminum tubing
* Bends to 180
* Handles tubing as thick as 18 gauge
* 29" handle for leverage and control
* For 1/2" and 7/8" diameter tubing
That's not what you're looking for.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 12:04 AM   #10
Rutdigger
2010 JK Wrangler 

You can use it..but you are going to need to do some modifications to it. You will need to make some pieces that go ontop of your shoes to keep the tube from walking up. Then you are going to have to take the shoes with you when you get your tubing and get the size that actually fits the show. Then you are going to need to fill it with sand and pack it in. It bends square tubing great after you build a show for it..lol. I used it for everything on my Jeep. Look up my projects on here they all start with "my turn to build..". If you are looking for a really cheap alternitive to buying a more expensive bender then the dies associated with it, then get this one.

[CENTER]The more you play with it, the bigger it gets![/CENTER]
Rutdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #11
bmxer0122
1987 YJ Wrangler 

wow i read that but for some reason it didnt register... does anyone have any recommendations for an affordable tube bender?
bmxer0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #12
Rutdigger
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxer0122 View Post
wow i read that but for some reason it didnt register... does anyone have any recommendations for an affordable tube bender?
Well, if you are a do-it-yourself guy, which is appears you are, then there is a guy selling plans for one hereTube Bender I have these plans and this is a VERY good bender. All in all it will cost you are bout $350ish to make. But when you are done you will have yourself a great tube bender!

Click on the link then click "proceed to website"

[CENTER]The more you play with it, the bigger it gets![/CENTER]
Rutdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
93yj_1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i bought one and only use it for construction now lol. wast of time and money!
Unread 02-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #14
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I got one and tried to bend some 1" conduit. It folded it in half and the bender went back to HF.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #15
mark123
1985 CJ7 

believe it or not I did some nice 90 degree bends with 1" and 3/4" sch 40 aluminum pipe with one of these benders. The trick was to aneal it first. I blackened the bend areas with acetylene only and then burnt the soot off with a neutral flame (the temp neede to burn soot is close to the anealing temp needed) and as soon as the soot was gone I quenched the pipe in cold water. After that it bends nicely.
mark123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.