Anybody build a trailer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Anybody build a trailer?

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 07-20-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
k8ysv
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody build a trailer?

I've been looking at the old military M100 and M416 Jeep trailers and woul dlove to have one. Porblem is, they're commanding top buck from collectors. There's a company out of Nevada (I think) who's reproducing them as off-road trailers and they're awesome, but they're even more expensive than an original.

I found a neat little utility trailer kit at Northern tool for less tha 200 bucks. I'll have to build a box on it but that's no big deal. Can't weld though so it'll have to be plywood. My concern was the tires. It's got 8" wheels on it so i'm thinking of replacing the hubs with a set of 5-lug 4-1/2" hubs and tossing some old Jeep steelies on them. Sound feasible to anyone? Anyone ever do anything like this before?

No, this trailer frame won't be sturdy enough for rock crawling, but it'll be plenty to haul gear to the campsite. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford 3 grand for one of those re-pops.

2004 Patriot Blue Wrangler X, 33"x10.5" BFG Mud Terrains, 4WDH 2" lift with 3/4 inch spacers, 1" BL, 1" Brown Dog MML, Yukon 4.56 gears, Yukon Super 35, ARBs front and rear, Warn 9.5ti winch, GPS, MP3, Some hooks and lotsa skids.
k8ysv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2005, 04:06 PM   #2
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8ysv
I've been looking at the old military M100 and M416 Jeep trailers and woul dlove to have one. Porblem is, they're commanding top buck from collectors. There's a company out of Nevada (I think) who's reproducing them as off-road trailers and they're awesome, but they're even more expensive than an original.

I found a neat little utility trailer kit at Northern tool for less tha 200 bucks. I'll have to build a box on it but that's no big deal. Can't weld though so it'll have to be plywood. My concern was the tires. It's got 8" wheels on it so i'm thinking of replacing the hubs with a set of 5-lug 4-1/2" hubs and tossing some old Jeep steelies on them. Sound feasible to anyone? Anyone ever do anything like this before?

No, this trailer frame won't be sturdy enough for rock crawling, but it'll be plenty to haul gear to the campsite. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford 3 grand for one of those re-pops.
This subject popped up before: You change the hubs to change the wheels, quite probably having to change the axle or the spindle to accommodate the bigger hub, then you have to come up with a lift kit to clear the fenders with the big tires, or weld on bigger fenders, then you have to make whatever modifications you need to to line up the hitch to the correct height, then you sit back and decide that you just spent all of that money and time modifying a $200 trailer and now you've got a really neat $200 trailer. Or, you could just go buy what you want to begin with, and it will last a heck of a lot longer for what is quite possibly the same money. I bought a 6x12 on 15 inch wheels, treated 2x floor deck, a 6000 lb. axle on 3500 lb. spring set, lights, etc. etc. for eight hundred bucks even. A 5x10 was under six hundred. Either could probably be had for 200-250 used. Those bolt-together kits just don't hold up, in my experience: get something welded together; they're cheap enough.
dwilliams35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2005, 07:02 AM   #3
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

For some reason trailers seem to be alot cheaper in texas than elsewhere. If you could weld, I'd say do it and weld it all together, but just bolting everything together and building the box out of plywood won't hold up as well... Although if you're good at that stuff, you could make it come out well and look good.
SlinkyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2005, 07:18 AM   #4
Kahu
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I see those old military trailers on craigslist.com all the time for under 600. Im actually thinking of getting one even though I dont need it
Kahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2005, 09:23 PM   #5
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

skip the hubs deal, pick up a used D35 from someone who wants to give theirs away. matched bolt pattern to the jeep and it should be beefy enough to take whatever you want to put in it. perch width between YJ 35's is 40" so it should fit a 4' trailer fairly nicely. just a thought

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2005, 10:04 PM   #6
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Building a trailer from scratch is really simple if you can weld. Since you can't weld, the Harbor Freight or Northern trailer is fine. Just make sure you get the 5 on 4.5 hubs so that you can use the same size tires as your Jeep. I am building a TearDrop trailer to pull behind my Jeep and I put 31x10.50 tires on it.

I started with 60' of tube steel.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.