Any welding tips for a total newbie? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Any welding tips for a total newbie?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Any welding tips for a total newbie?

I have a cheap crappy Harbor Freight flux core welder. I've screwed around a little bit just to get a feel for it before doing my tube fenders. But some actual expert advice would be appreciated.

It only has 2 settings... high and low. And I'll be welding thin metal to 1 1/2" .120 tube.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I bought a Welding textbook from the local Vo-Tech. Try on-line for a used textbook. Miller, Lincoln or Hobart has some short videos and FAQ's for welding on their website.

Practice, practice, practice. Cut apart your practice and see if you have good penetration.

Welding sheet metal, you have to use short 1/2- 1" stitch welds to prevent warping the sheet metal.

Beter quality welders are easier to use and make better welds.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice

oh and a steady hand goes a long way + good ventilation, have a fan on you or at least your face to keep the fumes away from your lungs. fumes = bad + will give you a headache for a few days if you get enough, ask me how i know
Unread 02-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Welding sheet metal, you have to use short 1/2- 1" stitch welds to prevent warping the sheet metal.
So weld and inch, skip 3", weld one, skip 3... Then come back and fill in the middle sections and inch at a time once it's cooled?

My build thread...
Unread 02-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, and should I set it to low or high? Low would be my guess, but I don't want to screw this up.

My build thread...
Unread 02-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Always weld to the thinner material. So if you burn through the sheet on high use low and move a bit slower.
Unread 02-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
So weld and inch, skip 3", weld one, skip 3... Then come back and fill in the middle sections and inch at a time once it's cooled?
Yes.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 05:23 AM   #8
JokerZero
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Start off by getting rid of that Harbor Freight. Made that mistake it burns through sheet metal and isn't strong enough to weld thicker guages. Maybe it's just me but I use a Lincoln and Miller at work with gas assist and those things are literally plug and play anyone can run a solid bead with them. On the other hand my buddy loves his Harbor freight so it could be personal preference
Unread 02-04-2011, 06:40 AM   #9
RJMICP
1984 CJ7 

your harbor freight will work just fine for what you're using it for... I have the same machine, but let me give you some advice... get rid of the cheap POS flux core that it came with, and get yourself a spool of Lincoln wire... I recommend 0.035... you can pick it up at Home Depot for about 13 bucks... I'm doing a rocker panel and floor pans once the weather breaks...
RJMICP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSooNmonkey View Post
Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice

oh and a steady hand goes a long way + good ventilation, have a fan on you or at least your face to keep the fumes away from your lungs. fumes = bad + will give you a headache for a few days if you get enough, ask me how i know
X2 practice and have ventilation. I am a newbie still, but it is getting easier.

I found a local place that sells by the pound not by the piece, they sell me tubing and plate scraps for .25/lb. I can make stuff, decide it looks ugly, and start over real cheap. Just find a simple project to start. Mailbox holder? Bird feeder? Cargo rack?

The ventilation is no joke. If you have brake cleaner on the steel when you weld, the smoke that comes off of it is poison. It will make your organs shut down. Be careful! Even in winter I open two doors to the garage and try to keep my face out of the path of the smoke.

Think about it, you are using electricity and gases to make carbon molecules change how they bind to things. Very powerful and cool stuff

I am having fun with it, I'm using the $100 Harbor Freight stick welder. I've gotten good enough to do a few things to the Jeep. But I have other fun projects in mind too, like making big house numbers for the front of the house from steel plate, maybe like a big metal dinosaur, or something

measure zero times, cut eight or ten
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

^^ does said local place ship?
Unread 02-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #12
stuff2c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

clean clean clean... if it ain't clean it needs to be...REAL CLEAN, I don't know crap about welding! but i do know this one. and like they have already said... do not breath the stuff.

[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkRed"][COLOR="White"]If you are not a Jeep Forum Supporter maybe you should reconsider... It's already saved me 10x what my Supporter membership cost me.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE="5"]"There is great need for a sarcasm font"[/SIZE]
stuff2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #13
CoryA
1977 CJ7 

Best welding tip right here

take a class at your local community college

pretty cheap hopefully a good instructor, access there machines materials

most let you bring in your own projects and will help you along the way

I've learned a ton by doing this
CoryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #14
ScottHightower

I hate to be redundant but practice as much as you can.

One thing newbies seem to forget is to watch the puddle. If you keep an eye on the puddle you will see the metal melting and know that you have good penetration. Work the nozzle in a circular or back and forth "U" pattern to make sure you tie in both parts. Be careful to keep your wire in the puddle at all times. If you jump out of the puddle you are moving too fast. If you are blowing through you are moving too slow.

The final test is a destructive test. Weld two parts together, clamp one part in a giant vise, then smash the second part with the largest sledge hammer you can find. Eventually the two parts should separate but the weld should be in tack. If the weld is good the metal adjacent to the weld will tear first.

Scott
Fab Manager
Welders360.com
ScottHightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #15
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Good tips here. Thanks guys.

My build thread...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.