Any experience with this welder? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Any experience with this welder?

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Any experience with this welder?

I may be in the market for a welder in the next week or so, either that or more mods for the jeep (havent decided which yet) if so, would this be a good welder to start with http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-E...3#.UebQp6weXWd
I need a 110v welder, and one that is preferably in that price range or cheaper.

Mulvihill64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Save up a few more bucks and get the same one with gas. This unit is marginal at best for roll bars.
With gas its a good unit for sheetmetal and slightly thicker. Once again the gas will give nice welds with less experience.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
AtTheHelm

For $80 more get the Hobart Handler 140. It includes a Smith regulator plus a better machine imo.
AtTheHelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbruzan
Save up a few more bucks and get the same one with gas. This unit is marginal at best for roll bars.
With gas its a good unit for sheetmetal and slightly thicker. Once again the gas will give nice welds with less experience.

Ron
I read the one I'm looking at can be converted to gas, and is the gas one also 110v?
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes to 120 volt and its cheaper to get the whole package at once.

Ron

Registered Six Offender
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

ok i will probably go with the lincoln 140, just out of curiosity will this be powerful enough to outboard my rear shocks, or weld a truss onto my axle?
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Only if you are an experienced welder. This machine will be more than maxed out for those jobs. A 175 amp machine is the correct machine for those types of jobs.

Ron

Registered Six Offender
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

That is too small for many projects, you can find those a craigslist all the time from people moving up. I found a Millermatic 211 with tank for $900. It have about 2 minutes of use on it. It has been one of my best purchases ever. After having it I think I would pay $2,200 for it if that is what they cost.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
mattmont

Better price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvihill64 View Post
I may be in the market for a welder in the next week or so, either that or more mods for the jeep (havent decided which yet) if so, would this be a good welder to start with http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-E...3#.UebQp6weXWd
I need a 110v welder, and one that is preferably in that price range or cheaper.
That is good for sheet metal work and that is about it. We had one in our tool & die shop for onsite work. If that is all you need Harbor freight has a 90 amp one that you can pickup on sale for $100 that can use flux core or be converted to gas that actually works better than the Lincoln did. We added a better clamp to the ground and are able to do pretty good welds up to 3/16" thick on good clean steel. The clamp from factory has a very small contact area. for the money on a portable you really cant beat them. but I would recommend a 250 amp welder for all your cage or frame work.
mattmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ok i will probably go with the lincoln 140, just out of curiosity will this be powerful enough to outboard my rear shocks, or weld a truss onto my axle?
It can be done with a quality 140a machine, but I would only feel comfortable if the machine was set up with .035" flux core wire and the machine was on a dedicated 20-30a circuit 120v circuit. You can absolutely do trusses and shock tabs with a 140a machine, but it requires the correct amount of prep, and preheat never hurts. Like its been mentioned, a 175a and up machine would be preferred, but a competent individual could do it with a 140.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I think i will put this off until tax return time. I have a 220v outlet for my pool filter, I just need to check the amperage on the breaker. I figure it would be fine to run a short extension cord >50 feet to the welder?
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvihill64 View Post
For less money and it can be used with gas.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-K218...item19dae70029

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.