Any certified welders on here? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Any certified welders on here?

Disc Brake Kits from ECGSECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #16
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

i like running the wire feeder, just don't do it often enough, so every time i get back into it, its like a learning curve again.

jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
Lincolnwelding
2000 XJ Cherokee 

This thread turned into way more then i expected. This is awesome for a beginner like me haha. Thanks for all the replys guys!
Lincolnwelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #18
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

along with the safety glasses, a respirator is your friend. I like the 3m with pink replaceable filters.
Unread 07-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #19
Lincolnwelding
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ive never actually used a respirator. Just had the vents in the shop. But i do want to buy one.
Lincolnwelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #20
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

technically you are supposed to be fit tested for them,. but if you try it and feel fine with it, I wouldn't worry. they work great.
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #21
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdart View Post
along with the safety glasses, a respirator is your friend. I like the 3m with pink replaceable filters.
Don't forget there are lots of different filters and sizes of those filters even the pink ones. I normally have 5-8 different filters on hand for different jobs all dependent on what can be expected. Some of my filters are the same type but for different uses. If I had the money a nice Powered Air Purifying Respirator would be the next purchase.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #22
Stow
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Tig root and hot pass was a pretty standard navy test back in the day, not sure now.
Stow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #23
attackcammel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I used to be certified in all position stick fluxcore to unlimited thickness , tig 3/8 pl, and stick pipe I messed up and never got my certs signed off on but now with my new job as an ironworker I have to take all my cents over agin it won't be bad to take the test just a hassle. Keep your certs up to date
Ordinary cars lie to you. They tell you that everything is controlled, warm, safe, smooth ---- we know this is a general falsehood. There is extreme beauty in the world and the best way to find it is to be out in it --- all the way. In a Jeep. Cause you can't get there in a Camry.
attackcammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #24
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Depending on the type of work you're doing there will be different certifications. If you're doing AWS code work (D1.1 structural or D1.5 bridge, etc) then you have to certify (be tested) to your employers certified/engineering approved weld procedure, and your cert is only good for that employer for as long as both are kept current and you remain employed by them. If you leave their employment then that cert is no longer valid and you're no longer certified.

As far as state issued welder certs... never had to deal with it. Maybe a CWI in a state that does that stuff can chime in.
Shadownwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #25
jasonswelding
1999 TJ Wrangler 

In Oklahoma you can get state certified, but you will have to retest for just about any job. I work in the oilfield and carry my state card because some oil companies prefer to have certified welders to work on the drilling structure and mud lines. If I started doing refinery or pipeline work I'd have to test for that job. One of the guys I work with had his certification right out of welding school. He went out for a pipe job and was told "I don't care if you got certified by Jesus himself, your still testing for me."
jasonswelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #26
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonswelding View Post
In Oklahoma ... One of the guys I work with had his certification right out of welding school. He went out for a pipe job and was told "I don't care if you got certified by Jesus himself, your still testing for me."
Was that certification by any chance from Tulsa Welding School?
Shadownwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #27
jasonswelding
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure.
jasonswelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #28
squire_wj

I am a journeyman welder with all postion FCAW and SMAW and qualified pipe ticket (high pressure pipe). Mostly structural steel, 95% of which are bridges. I got lucky right out of school to get a job and work with a 40 year old veteran of the trade who taugh me a lot.
squire_wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #29
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

SMAW AWS 6g pipe

GTAW 6g

I-CAR structural and non structural

D9.1 6g sheet metal all chromium metals up to 1/4"

was also a union journeyman (local 32 iirc) for a short while in Florida before joining the USCG.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #30
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
We have that as part of our apprenticeship training now too because of how much it's used now a days in cast walls and floors and foundations.

There is now even a deck welding certification to qualify you to weld floor decking down on structural building floors for a pour..and all only 7018 or better..makes it a PITA to plug weld through decking with 7018 because you have to flick off the flux on the end of the rod everytime,unless you want to look like woodpecker pecking at the decking everytime..lol.

The old days of carrying around a pouch full of 5P rod and "sparkling" away is over for the decking and bridging
I used to carry a little rock around to tap my rod against and break off the flux on the tip beause of that.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.