Any certified welders on here? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Any certified welders on here?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Lincolnwelding
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any certified welders on here?

I was just wondering how many others are certified and what your cert is for. Just graduated highschool and am certified in 3g on 3/8ths plate, 3g in unlimited thickness, and 4g on 3/8ths plate all smaw. I took the nys dot weld test but got arc blow and it was a no go.

Lincolnwelding is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
jasonswelding
1999 TJ Wrangler 

6G 6" pipe OK state cert. I do more structural work than pipe, but this covers me for both. Most pipe jobs will have you test, no matter what cert. you have.
jasonswelding is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Lincolnwelding
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Structural work is what i want to get into. Thats awesome that your certified in 6g pipe. Ive only ever messed with pipe a few times but it wasnt 6g and i sucked at it
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

smaw and fcaw 3g and 4g 1/8" to unlimited thickness all position, aws north american. something like that. I haven't really welded in a while though. I always wanted to try a pipe test.
jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

SMAW 3G and 4G test on 3/8's plate, certified up to 3/4", all positions. GMAW 3G and 4G tests on 1" plate, certified unlimited thickness all positions. Certified with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet Division of Materials. I got certified while in school for welding, however I let my certifications expire as I don't use them and I don't weld professionally much.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I actualy can't even remember how many weld cert's i've had since 1979..pretty much everything except aluminum,i only had that once when a transformer blew at Plant Hatch Nuke in Baxley Ga and we had some aluminum structure to replace.

Most of the Nuclear plants i work on Outages all over the USA will require a 2" Heavy Wall 6G with a backing ring for SMAW as a starter,they figure it covers every position at once,if you pass that,then on to other weld processes and coupons.
Anymore i just take the 6G open butt,TIG root and hot pass,then fill out with 309L stick,this gives you TIG,Stick and Stainless all in one shot.

If you are getting into structural,your best bet is to also learn Fluxcore and Dual Sheild,it's becoming the standard for all new infrastructural all over the USA..Especialy the new NR233.But keep mastering stick,because of it's portability and proven strength it will never be a loss art like i keep hearing some people say..lol.

I've only had to certify on GMAW twice in over 30 years of structural work and that was because i was at the time working a shop that builds Vessels for chemical plants,you'll rarely ever see that out in the field because it's uselessness in the wind,don;t worry much about that process for the fact if you can run a good stick and/or fluxcore you can smoke a GMAW's butt without thinkin about it at any given time.

These are just a few of the papers and records i have on hand,i throw them away most of the time because unless you are back on that site within 6 months welding,they are usless and you'll have to do it all over again.

One thing i WILL stress,,take it from someone who knows first hand..ALWAYS wear your PPE,these new Z87.1 safety glasses and lens covers WILL save your eyes in the future,i am going through a bunch eye trouble right now because years ago it was a choice,not a requirement...
certs.jpg

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Lincolnwelding
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
I actualy can't even remember how many weld cert's i've had since 1979..pretty much everything except aluminum,i only had that once when a transformer blew at Plant Hatch Nuke in Baxley Ga and we had some aluminum structure to replace.

Most of the Nuclear plants i work on Outages all over the USA will require a 2" Heavy Wall 6G with a backing ring for SMAW as a starter,they figure it covers every position at once,if you pass that,then on to other weld processes and coupons.
Anymore i just take the 6G open butt,TIG root and hot pass,then fill out with 309L stick,this gives you TIG,Stick and Stainless all in one shot.

If you are getting into structural,your best bet is to also learn Fluxcore and Dual Sheild,it's becoming the standard for all new infrastructural all over the USA..Especialy the new NR233.But keep mastering stick,because of it's portability and proven strength it will never be a loss art like i keep hearing some people say..lol.

I've only had to certify on GMAW twice in over 30 years of structural work and that was because i was at the time working a shop that builds Vessels for chemical plants,you'll rarely ever see that out in the field because it's uselessness in the wind,don;t worry much about that process for the fact if you can run a good stick and/or fluxcore you can smoke a GMAW's butt without thinkin about it at any given time.

These are just a few of the papers and records i have on hand,i throw them away most of the time because unless you are back on that site within 6 months welding,they are usless and you'll have to do it all over again.

One thing i WILL stress,,take it from someone who knows first hand..ALWAYS wear your PPE,these new Z87.1 safety glasses and lens covers WILL save your eyes in the future,i am going through a bunch eye trouble right now because years ago it was a choice,not a requirement...

Thanks for all the info man. Ive actually never tried fluxcore or dual shield. I messed around with mig in the shop but never tried to certify in it because my teacher was pretty oldschool and basically only used stick on his jobs. Or atleast from what hes told me. Like you he worked on nuclear plants at one point in his life. I was really under the impression that stick was the most commonly used and that would be all i would need until it was to late.

And as for the saftey glasses, my first year welding i had some hot slag fly into my eye and that was enough to convince me to always wear my saftey gear. Plus it was really stressed in my boces shop in my last 2 years of highschool.
Unread 07-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

that's an interesting test, with the open tig root and 309 stick fill. never heard of that one. is an x ray?
Unread 07-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdart View Post
that's an interesting test, with the open tig root and 309 stick fill. never heard of that one. is an x ray?
Cut & bend on some sites,xray on others.All depends on the site requirements..other words its up to the weld tech on site.

It's actualy kind if weird on different tests at different places..

For example,down at Port St Lucie Fla nuke plant last year they were testing 100's of weldors hiring in for a steam generator change out and was having about a 70% failure rate,so i was a lil nervous going all the way down there and if i failed the test,i was not paid a dime for the travel.
I was told i would be taking a 6G on a 6" pipe with a backing ring because of alot of the pipe and tube structure,but once i got there,he decided to give me a 1" beveled plate with a backing plate all positions..i finished that and waited 2 days for the Xray and passed,went in to start work,got called back out to the test shop for a 6G 6" stainless...lol
I've learned in the past 30+ years..NEVER expect anything untill you are there,always expect the worst though and be prepared.
I went down to Pensacola a few years ago on a boiler job at plant Crist..1" plate beveled..i started on the vert and about 1/2 way through the micro manager came and looked and said get on the bus down to the site..your hired..lol

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 07-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnwelding View Post
Thanks for all the info man. Ive actually never tried fluxcore or dual shield. I messed around with mig in the shop but never tried to certify in it because my teacher was pretty oldschool and basically only used stick on his jobs. Or atleast from what hes told me. Like you he worked on nuclear plants at one point in his life. I was really under the impression that stick was the most commonly used and that would be all i would need until it was to late.

And as for the saftey glasses, my first year welding i had some hot slag fly into my eye and that was enough to convince me to always wear my saftey gear. Plus it was really stressed in my boces shop in my last 2 years of highschool.
Stick is the main process in the feild,but fluxcore is gettin more and more common because of the speed and much better filler wires now a days.
Now on repairs and mods in places like paper plants,coal burner power plants,car plants..pretty anywhere where there is and outage or shutdown,stick still dominates because the crazy spots you'll be in,but again,,wirefeed is slowly but surely moving in there too where ever it's suitable...an LN-25 Lincoln is getting lighter and lighter and more portable by the year( i love runnin an LN-25.we call them "squirt guns"..just pull the trigger n squirt that baby in there)...lol

If you get into a structural fabrication shop you'll be running plenty of wire feed,fluxcore,dual shield and hard wire,stick is too slow for the high production to get the steel fitted and welded and out to the site on time...there's nothing like a bunch of P'd off ironworkers and engineers waiting on truck load of steel..............the ole days of running a pile of JetRod in the shops are pretty much gone with all these new wire feed machines.

The more processes you learn and get the hang of,the more versatile you are and always have a back up in other areas when needed...generaly a company will hang onto someone with more process capabilities than a guy with just one..

Never forget 9/11

Unread 07-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

One more thing..the safety glasses thing is mainly to keep from all the years of exposure to IR and UV rays,we didn't have the high quality glasses and lens we do now a days..never be that tough guy and think your ok...i'm payin dearly for it right now..............

Never forget 9/11

Unread 07-19-2013, 01:37 AM   #12
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

3G-4G SMAW, GMAW, FCAW, and FCAW-G all up to 3/4", unlimited thickness FCAW, and 1G to 5G pipe- smaw.

depending on what kind of work you get into, certs dont mean too much... they just get you in the door for a weld test but they are good to have, nonetheless. that being said, the experience gained from countless hours welding in a booth, is nothing like the experience gained working in a fab shop for a few months.
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
jasonswelding
1999 TJ Wrangler 

A friend of mine had to get stud and rebar certified for a small job.

Kind of an odd one.
jasonswelding is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonswelding View Post
A friend of mine had to get stud and rebar certified for a small job.

Kind of an odd one.
We have that as part of our apprenticeship training now too because of how much it's used now a days in cast walls and floors and foundations.

There is now even a deck welding certification to qualify you to weld floor decking down on structural building floors for a pour..and all only 7018 or better..makes it a PITA to plug weld through decking with 7018 because you have to flick off the flux on the end of the rod everytime,unless you want to look like woodpecker pecking at the decking everytime..lol.

The old days of carrying around a pouch full of 5P rod and "sparkling" away is over for the decking and bridging

Never forget 9/11

Unread 07-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #15
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

7018+deck=sucks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.