Anti-Coning Rings for Beadlocks with Pitbull Rocker Radial Tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Anti-Coning Rings for Beadlocks with Pitbull Rocker Radial Tires

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 09-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
cwildmann
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Anti-Coning Rings for Beadlocks with Pitbull Rocker Radial Tires

Hey All,

In a pinch and need some advice. I am in the process of buying a diy weld-on beadlock kit for my 15" steel wheels. I really want to add anti-coning rings to prevent the outside ring from warping. The problem is that I plan to run a set of 37x12.5R15 Pitbull Rocker Radials and the bead thickness is close an inch thick. I contacted the manufacturer and they confirmed it is about an inch thick and from online research I found that people have measured it to be around 0.94".

The company that I am buying the beadlock kit sells anti-coning rings for the wheels that is basically 3/16" thick x 1/2" wide flat stock bent to the circumference of the inner circle for the inner ring. I am pretty sure that an anti-coning ring that stands off of the inner ring a 1/2" will not help me here since my bead thickness is about an inch thick.

So my question is how high should the anti-coning rings stand off of the inner ring? should it be equal to the bead thickness? Should it be about 75% to make up for the rubber compressing?

I think I am going to add my own after I get my wheels by buying 3/16" thick flat stock that is at the right width for my tires but don't know what the right width should be for a tire that has a bead thickness of an inch.

Thanks in advance to you guys for helping me out.

cwildmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

You would want the tire beads to be able to "crush" a little bit in order to seal.

Instead of steel, I've got a buddy who just ordered a strip of UHMW plastic (like 1"x1" square x 60" long per rim). The plastic is relatively hard but is still flexible enough to bend it into an "O" shape. Since it's sort of "spring loaded" when rolled, it springs open against the beadlock bolts.. holding itself in place.

The stuff can also be cut/sanded/ground down to a whatever thickness you need.

I would probably mock up one of the tires, lightly snug the outer ring in place, measure the gap between inner/outer rings, and then pick the thickness that's the same (or slightly less than) as that. If you've got access to a table saw, planer, bandsaw..etc, it would be really easy to trim down the strips to allow a good clamping of the bead without coning the outer ring in.

Part #8702K122 at www.mcmaster.com

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
jason m
your ad here...

Or use a V-belts that fit the outside the bolt hole's, there probally the cheapest thing to get. If you need thicker than the normall parts store offers try a truck stop.
Like BESRK mock up a tire first, I know my 39's had a thick chunk on the lip also, probally around 3/4-7/8" thick and I have no issue's.

Heck I don't even take my own advise, I dont run any coning rings. Had the tire's on a weld on bead lock for years with zero problems.
I bet my rings are bent but I really dont care they lock that outer bead in tight and thats all that matters, oh I also run 32 grade 8 bolts per rim.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i'm not running a coning ring with my pitbulls. I also didnt grind the weld down on the lip of the wheel. few friends have started to leave the weld "hump" and it seems to seal better.
1997 ZJ, 1992 YJ, 1992 XJ
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
cwildmann
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info guys. I've decided to wait untill I get the new tires to then figure out what to do with the an anti-coning ring.

Since 3/16" flat stock is so darn cheap I might just go that route. 5 pieces of 3/16" thick, 3/4" wide, 48" long flat steel is only about $25.... hopefully 3/4" will work well with the .93" width tire bead. I'll keep you guys posted with how well it goes.

If anyone else is running Pitbulls - how well are they sealing and what trick (if any) have you needed to do to get them to seal well? I have heard that since the tire bead is so wide that it doesn't seal well in the bead seat on a normal wheel where the seat is only 3/4" wide... thoughts? Anybody do the duct take trick by making a layer of duct tape to act as a new lip for the tire to seal up to?
cwildmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.