another welding table! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > another welding table!

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
orange80cj7
1980 CJ7 

another welding table!

Hey everyone I'm going to be starting my welding table build here soon, so far what the plan is would be 4x8 top 3/8 thick with an expanded metal shelf, a place for the welder, some tools and future plasma cutter.. My main question would be what to make the frame of, 2x2, 4x4? And how thick it should be to support the top and whatever I put on it ( bumpers, tractor parts, axles etc) any help would be awesome especially ideas that I should integrate into the design

orange80cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

at work ours is a 36x60" 1/2" plate witha 3" heavy c-channel frame and has supported everything we have thrown at it. for ease of material sourcing i would go with 2" box tubing for the frame.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
orange80cj7
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
at work ours is a 36x60" 1/2" plate witha 3" heavy c-channel frame and has supported everything we have thrown at it. for ease of material sourcing i would go with 2" box tubing for the frame.
Thanks for the fast response! do you think the 4x8 top might be over kill for what I plan on? All that will be on it is stuff for the jeep and occasional tractor repair stuff.
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

there are very few times when our 36x60 is too small, but it has been a couple times on large projects. if you can go 4x8, i would juts for the occasion when you need it, but i doubt you will need it that large very often.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If your already planning and have the funds for a 4x8x3/8 i'd definetly go with that..especialy since you said your planning for a welder and Plasma-arc..

Once you start messing around with those 2,you'll be finding many projects around the house and vehicles to save you money.

As always..the bigger the better..a 4x8 table is pretty standard in any fab shop,it makes it real nice to build things square and straight on a 4x8,rather than be just enough or not enough.

A 4'x8'x3/8" A36 plate is about 490 lbs,you can even save money by relacing the planned box tubing frame and legs with 1/4" 2x2 or bigger angle iron,that will be more than strong enough to handle anything you'll be working with at home.

Only stitch weld the bracing to the table,to prevent warping of the table,not much is needed to just hold th frame to plate.

Whatever you decide to use for framing,make sure you box the framing in as close to the outer edge of the plate,then put cross bracing inside the box to help with any possible future warping of the plate.

Welding and cutting on a table can warp it in a hurry,so when cutting with the plasma try to support your work up off the table so the heat doesn't warp it when cutting

It really doesnt take much heat to warp a 3/8" plate,so the more framing and cross bracing under it..the better.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
orange80cj7
1980 CJ7 

The plan is still to go with the 4x8 but if the steel supplier has a top in the scrap pile I might have to pick it up depending on the price, I would still try to keep it around that size. The shortest I would want to go would be 6 foot. What should the price be per foot for 2" square tubing? And when building the table, what would be the best way to start, laying top down on the ground and welding from top to bottom, or start on the frame and when done put the top on and finish welding it up?
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange80cj7 View Post
The plan is still to go with the 4x8 but if the steel supplier has a top in the scrap pile I might have to pick it up depending on the price, I would still try to keep it around that size. The shortest I would want to go would be 6 foot. What should the price be per foot for 2" square tubing? And when building the table, what would be the best way to start, laying top down on the ground and welding from top to bottom, or start on the frame and when done put the top on and finish welding it up?
As far as the prices go,they very considerably from supplier to supplier..and state to state..only way to know is to call or go ask..check the price differences between the box tubing and angle iron..

While building it..start of with the plate laying on the floor,build the frame right onto the plate first,,and weld it up..this way it all stays flat,when building the whole frame and then putting the plate on you'll rarely ever get a perfectly flat square frame,then when you put the plate on it'll be out of wack...

Once you get the frame welded on the plate,start adding your legs and other framing and just make sure it is all squared up before welding it out.

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 06-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
1971CJ5Man
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I built my table using 1" thick x 5' x 6' plate for the top, 4" pipe for the legs, 3" pipe for the frame and 4"x4" angle down one of the 6' sides. When you need to use a BFH the table doesn't vibrate or rattle. 15 years ago that plate was $2500.00 so I can imagine what it would cost today. I use to own a fab shop so what I used to build that table was left over from a job. Ironworker709 is right lay the plate flat on the floor and build it upside down flip it over when your done. Make sure your welder is up to the challenge if it's not rated for that thickness you want have enough penetration and the table may fall apart. I used old faithful stick rod (ARC welder) machine.
1971CJ5Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
orange80cj7
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971CJ5Man View Post
I built my table using 1" thick x 5' x 6' plate for the top, 4" pipe for the legs, 3" pipe for the frame and 4"x4" angle down one of the 6' sides. When you need to use a BFH the table doesn't vibrate or rattle. 15 years ago that plate was $2500.00 so I can imagine what it would cost today. I use to own a fab shop so what I used to build that table was left over from a job. Ironworker709 is right lay the plate flat on the floor and build it upside down flip it over when your done. Make sure your welder is up to the challenge if it's not rated for that thickness you want have enough penetration and the table may fall apart. I used old faithful stick rod (ARC welder) machine.
Okay well I just searched my local craigslist and there is a 42 x 72 of 1in plate steel!!! For 300 dollars?!!! I might have to get it, but how strong of a frame will I need to support that much weight?
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

That's a little over 1000 lbs. You'd be surpised how little it takes to hold that up. It's more of a matter of what works best. I'd skirt the outside edge with some 2" x 3" x 1/4' angle, just stitch weld it every few inches, so it doesn't warp. Keep that back away from the edge about 2" too, that way you've got a nice 2" lip all around the outside for clamping things down. Even that thick I'd run some cross braces under it, like on 2 ft. centers. Then I'd use some 3" x 3" x 1/4" tubing for legs. Weld that to the angle iron and the plate itself. Works best if the angle is welded with the tall side to the inside too and vertical, that gives more area to weld the legs to.

If you can afford it I'd take that plate somewhere and get a few 1/2-13 holes tapped through it. That would let you clamp things out in the middle of the table. Or you could rent a magnet base drill and do it yourself.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
orange80cj7
1980 CJ7 

Here's the link for the steel http://orlando.craigslist.org/mat/3861582261.html does it look like a good buy? There's some rust but it looks to be surface to me, it's a lot of steel for the price
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

43"x73"x1" of common steel comes to around 890 lb...

Jim gave great advice....

You are stealing that for 300.00..JUMP on it!

Never forget 9/11

Unread 06-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #13
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You are stealing that for 300.00..JUMP on it!
Agreed, if I was closer, you'd be SOL by now, and I'd be welding legs on it right now rather than typing.
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #14
orange80cj7
1980 CJ7 

Just called, he cut up some of it to make him self a table the remaining dimensions are 42x46.... Would that be big enough of a table for jeep projects? I feel it's kind of small, I wish I saw the ad the day it came out lol
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #15
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Thaty's still a great size. Mine is 48x62 and there's been nothing on my Jeep that it's not big enough for. Lot's of times you can make things in sections anyway so you can work with what size table you have.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.