Another welding help thread, complete newbs need some a shove in the right driection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Another welding help thread, complete newbs need some a shove in the right driection

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Another welding help thread, complete newbs need some a shove in the right driection

So my friend and I have just acquired two welders, a stick (Lincoln AC/DC 225/125) and a MIG (Century welder rated at 90 amps and 120 volts). We were lucky enough to get these both brand new at the grand price of free, but unfortunately neither of us has a clue in this world what were doing. We've been trying to find anything we can online, but haven't found much thats very useful so if any of you would be kind enough to point us to some links that could help us get started or maybe suggest which welder we should start with while we are trying to learn it would be much appreciated. Sorry as I'm sure this type of stuff comes up a whole lot on here. I've searched and couldnt find what I was looking for, if its out there and I missed it feel free to torch me (as long as you provide a link to the thread ofcourse) Thanks in advance everyone.

Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
TwistedcaB-
1991 XJ Cherokee 

i find that mig is easier to do.
TwistedcaB- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Something I found very useful before firing up my welder was to just see a ton of videos on youtube for a general idea of what to and what not to do.

The most helpful ones I found were the ATI welding class previews.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

In particular:
Introduction
MIG basics
Flux-core MIG welding
Controlling the puddle

Don't forget to wear the right protective clothing and welding helmet. An auto-darkening helmet is a great help and will benefit you so you can really see what is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2008, 11:18 PM   #4
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the links! those will be a great help for sure.
Unread 11-28-2008, 11:31 PM   #5
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Oh and the most important thing to do is PRACTICE! Just get some scrap stuff, cut up your parents' lawnmower, steal a shopping cart and cut it up, just find stuff and practice sticking things together. Then take hammers to it and try to destroy it to see how well you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2008, 11:41 PM   #6
jackbauersmom
2006 LJ Wrangler 

the indianapolis art center, in broadripple, offers some welding classes for sculpture. i took a couple there and they were pretty helpful in learning techniques and different welders. only cost a couple hundred bucks if i remember correctly.

indyORV
treadlightly
jackbauersmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2008, 12:56 AM   #7
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757 View Post
Oh and the most important thing to do is PRACTICE! Just get some scrap stuff, cut up your parents' lawnmower, steal a shopping cart and cut it up, just find stuff and practice sticking things together. Then take hammers to it and try to destroy it to see how well you did.
Thats what we spent most of tonight doing, trying to weld washers to steel and stuff, we decided we needed a little more guidance
Unread 11-29-2008, 12:57 AM   #8
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauersmom View Post
the indianapolis art center, in broadripple, offers some welding classes for sculpture. i took a couple there and they were pretty helpful in learning techniques and different welders. only cost a couple hundred bucks if i remember correctly.
Ill definitely have to look into those in the summer, but currently Im too busy at college and much too poor with my job being only in the summer haha. Thanks for the tip though!
Unread 11-29-2008, 01:01 AM   #9
Ratmeat
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I believe Hobart has a forum like this one only all about welding. At least they used to...

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount of up to and including his or her life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Ratmeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2008, 01:02 AM   #10
Ratmeat
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yup, here it is.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount of up to and including his or her life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Ratmeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2008, 08:24 AM   #11
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Miller has a few 3-4 minute clips on their site also. I'm sure You tube will have a lot more. Miller just wants you to buy the DVD's.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2008, 11:36 PM   #12
Woolecox
2009 JK Wrangler 

This book is real good:

"Welder's Handbook, RevisedHP1513: A Guide to Plasma Cutting, Oxyacetylene, ARC, MIG and TIG Welding"

You can get it on http://www.amazon.com

The original "Welders Handbook" is good too and starts out with the basics of gas welding.

Miller has a lot of good information on their website: http://www.millerwelds.com
Woolecox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2008, 12:24 AM   #13
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it!
Unread 11-30-2008, 08:46 AM   #14
Vanmantraveler
1981 CJ5 

All great ideas.... I have been a welder since 93, here is a few hints I can offer.... Little circles going from one part to the other... make sure the heat (and the weld) hit both parts and get penetration with the heat. Go find something that has a nice weld on it, get two pieces of steel and try to make your welds look like that. Slow down, that is the biggest mistake most new welders make. Look (with the welding hood on) at the point of the Arc (talking mig here) you want the arc to be melting at the steel not above. If it is melting above the metal turn the heat (voltage) down or the wire speed up. Always try to weld down or horizontal so your welds don't droop. If you can't clean your metal real nice get Tri gas...(instead of 75/25 Argon/CO2 you get 73/25/2 the two being O2 to burn off the impurities) Listen to your weld, a nice hot weld has a bacon fry sound, if it sputters adjust your welder, if you feel the welder kick back turn down your wire speed you are not melting the wire as fast as it is coming out of the tip. Never weld without gas, it makes for spongy welds and lets the tip get hot and melt. Have fun and don't rush, a weld takes time to develop... If you have more questions just ask us we can help, You want lessons come on I will put you to work with me.... we can destroy a few new trucks and make my boss cry.
Unread 11-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #15
Vanmantraveler
1981 CJ5 

All great ideas.... I have been a welder since 93, here is a few hints I can offer.... Little circles going from one part to the other... make sure the heat (and the weld) hit both parts and get penetration with the heat. Go find something that has a nice weld on it, get two pieces of steel and try to make your welds look like that. Slow down, that is the biggest mistake most new welders make. Look (with the welding hood on) at the point of the Arc (talking mig here) you want the arc to be melting at the steel not above. If it is melting above the metal turn the heat (voltage) down or the wire speed up. Always try to weld down or horizontal so your welds don't droop. If you can't clean your metal real nice get Tri gas...(instead of 75/25 Argon/CO2 you get 73/25/2 the two being O2 to burn off the impurities) Listen to your weld, a nice hot weld has a bacon fry sound, if it sputters adjust your welder, if you feel the welder kick back turn down your wire speed you are not melting the wire as fast as it is coming out of the tip. Never weld without gas, it makes for spongy welds and lets the tip get hot and melt. Have fun and don't rush, a weld takes time to develop... If you have more questions just ask us we can help, You want lessons come on I will put you to work with me.... we can destroy a few new trucks and make my boss cry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.