Another TJ Bumper Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Another TJ Bumper Build

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-01-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
RubiconTed

Another TJ Bumper Build

Hey Guys,

As you can see from my post count, I'm a newbie here. I have begun the fab of my front and rear bumpers for my 06 Rubicon. After searching the threads I have decided to go with something similar to Besrk's design. As a matter of economics, I will be purchasing the prefabbed shakle points and hinge assembly. I will also be tacking the structural joints in place and then taking everything to get welded by a pro. In the rear I will be incorporating the standard receiver tube and shackle mounts. The tire carrier will have an adjustable tire mounting plate, CB antenna mount, Hi-Lift mount, accessory mounting point and a pin to lock the carrier in the open position.

Here's the initial bill of materials for the metal only:

4x2x3/16"x20' $70.00
2x2x3/16"x20' $48.00
3/8"x3"x20' $35.64
3/16"x2"x20' 15.08

Tax 13.93

total 182.65

thats enough to make four bumpers . plus they cut it in 10' sections for no charge.

I'm guessing I'll have about $250 tied up in the total cost for front and rear together

Last edited by RubiconTed; 03-01-2007 at 08:15 AM..
RubiconTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

You guys with your super cheap metal prices... you make me sick!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
RubiconTed

At these prices, one could almost make a living at it.

Last edited by RubiconTed; 03-01-2007 at 08:29 AM..
Unread 03-01-2007, 09:14 AM   #4
RubiconTed

The cost is adding up.

2 x Clevis Mounts (400-CLVMNT) = $35.90
1 x Tire Carrier Hinge Kit (400-TCHNGKIT) = $42.95
1 x Wheel Plate (400-WHLPLT) = $17.99
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $96.84
United Parcel Service (30.00lbs) (Ground): $33.79
Total: $130.63

Metal - 182.65
Misc. prefab'd parts - 130.63
recv'r tube from Northern Tools 12.00

Total 325.28

However, I can either build a second bumper or sell the other half to someone else looking to build their own. With this in mind, I can subtract 50% (91.33) of my metal cost which puts me at $233.95 for front and rear bumpers including tire carrier. Still darn cheaper than buying those run off the mill units from mail order.
Unread 03-01-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
RubiconTed

Put another couple hours in today.

cut, welded and rough ground the end pieces for front and rear bumpers.

Unread 03-02-2007, 07:05 PM   #6
RubiconTed

Worked a few hours today and managed to get thr front and rears mounted. Everything is on hold until the clevis mounts, carrier hinge and wheel plate arrive. For some reason the rear bumper looks crooked in the picture. It's NOT. I measured and double checked everything twice. Must just be the angle I was shooting the picture from.

Unread 03-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #7
powerwagon67
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Lookin good! Where did you get your wheel plate from?

Quad Zilla TowRig 2001 F350 Powerstroke SuperCrew (AKA Clyde)

GhostRidersJeepClub.ORG
powerwagon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #8
RubiconTed

I ordered the tire carrier hinge, clevis mounts and wheel plate from http://www.atozfabrication.com.
Unread 03-06-2007, 05:11 PM   #9
RubiconTed

Since I'm waiting on my parts from A to Z Fab., I decided to build a CB antenna mount. I had already bought a 4 foot antenna and wanted to make it work. I decided to build a mount that would bolt behind the plastic license plate bracket using the existing holes.

"NOTE"

When I removed the plastic license plate mount, I noticed surface rust forming. I cleaned it up and it's fine now. But, this is an area others might want to keep an eye on for corrosion issues.

After building and painting the bracket, I coated the back side with Plasti-Dip. I wanted to put a barrier to aid in the prevention of corrosion and this seemed like a good solution. (Time will tell). The antenna sticks up about a foot above the top.

That piece of pool noodle in the picture keeps the spring from slapping the body.

Last edited by RubiconTed; 03-06-2007 at 06:10 PM..
Unread 03-10-2007, 05:35 PM   #10
BeachCrawler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just finished mine. I used BESRK's thread to design mine. Thanks to BESRK by the way. I was a little skeptical about paint. I happen to have a powder coater handy. I got into the powder coating a bit. I found a bottle of "Metallic Copper" and a bottle of "Clear" so I hit up my shackles. Here are some pics.

preparing4.jpg

preparing.jpg

powdered6.jpg

mounted2.jpg

mounted3.jpg
()_) ()_)--<>-)_)
BeachCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 06:58 PM   #11
RubiconTed

Looks good.. My parts from Zach will be delivered Monday. I still need to cut the holes for my clevis mounts and then move on to the tire carrier construction. With any luck I'll be preping the entire project for paint next weekend.
Unread 03-10-2007, 06:58 PM   #12
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I like that.. how long does it take to cure the powder coating using that heat lamp? I'm intrigued by that setup.. what if you were to have a very slow moving conveyor belt system so the bumper moves slowly over the lamp? or perhaps two lamps? or perhaps use the lamp inside some brick oven setup so it would uniformly heat the whole bumper at once?.. Hmmmmm... my wife is gonna kick my butt if I buy yet something else to clutter the garage.. of course, it would have to wait until after I get my CNC Plasma Table.. soon.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 06:26 PM   #13
BeachCrawler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
I like that.. how long does it take to cure the powder coating using that heat lamp? I'm intrigued by that setup.. what if you were to have a very slow moving conveyor belt system so the bumper moves slowly over the lamp? or perhaps two lamps? or perhaps use the lamp inside some brick oven setup so it would uniformly heat the whole bumper at once?.. Hmmmmm... my wife is gonna kick my butt if I buy yet something else to clutter the garage.. of course, it would have to wait until after I get my CNC Plasma Table.. soon.
It takes a looooong time with the lamp. The part or area you are coating has to reach 375-400 degrees. Once flowout (liquid look) starts, it has to stay at the temperature for 20 minutes for complete cure. The bumper took awhile because I had to keep moving the lamp to the next area. Each time I moved the lamp I had to recalculate the time the lamp stayed on that area because while I had the lamp curing one area for awhile, the next area had been sitting at 300 degrees for a bit. All in all it took about 1 hr. 45 mins. Well worth it. The powder cost $8.00 a bottle. There is enough in the bottle for atleast 3 bumpers. The powder coating equipment is quite expensive, but I didn't buy it, its my jobs. If I had an oven ($10,000+) it would have taken 20 mins. Me and a couple of guys at work are thinking of designing a brick oven setup like you mentioned. We are going to use a lamp like the one I used at the bottom of the oven and one at the top. The trick withh the oven is, that it has to be 400 degrees throughout the entire are of the oven.

Check out this site. This is where we bought the equipment. We have the "HotCoat Pro" model. http://www.hotcoat.com
()_) ()_)--<>-)_)
BeachCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.