Another TJ 4 link - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Another TJ 4 link

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutIntroducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 01-31-2011, 02:51 AM   #1
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

Another TJ 4 link... 3 link added!

Thought id put this in too since most of the other stuff ive done for my jeep is in here

been puttin this off for a long time but ive finally gotten sick of replacing RE stuff so decided id take the money itd cost for another rebuild and do this. Running all 7/8 ruff stuff heims, triangulated 4 link with 2" .25 was DOM.

to start heres kinda the rough out line of link placements, its changed since this screen shot but once its finished all re input the final numbers

start of the truss, made at work one day real quick, 3/8 x 3" plate

pulled the jeep in friday and cut the axle out

cleaned the frame, and then the 8.8 lost all its old brackets 200 bucks down the drain...

tacked the new truss on and threw it up under to check the clearance to the tub at full bump

took a wire hanger and used it to get the profile of the housing and then transferred that to some cardboard to get the actual shape.then traced it onto some 3/16 plate and cut it out

nick and herschel cleaning it up while i make the upper link tabs out of some 3/8

the result, nice and tight

welds for the truss

truss welded up and and cleaned

more sexy welds

completed truss

cgmrdc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 02:55 AM   #2
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

Heres the start of my frame mounts, theyll make more sense once they are welded to the frame and i add the supports...

so my ruff stuff heims still havnt showed up and ive run out of things to do without them in hand so for the sway bar link mounts i thought id get creative.

and last but not least Beer-a-myd!

like i said, hopefully the heims how up tomorrow and i can place the frame brackets and get them clearanced, drill all my holes and cut my links, ill keep this updated once more gets done. feel free to ask any questions
Unread 01-31-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Nice work!! I'm gonna have to remember the coat hanger template thing.. looks like a real time-saver.

Drilling those 3/8" thick upper link mounts by hand..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

Thanks! Def made for real clean install...

And yeah, by hand... been looking for a used drill press but havnt found any in my area. Thank god for step bits! And lots of cutting lube lol
Unread 01-31-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

Thanks! Def made for real clean install...

And yeah, by hand... been looking for a used drill press but havnt found any in my area. Thank god for step bits! And lots of cutting lube lol
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

its done!

heims finally showed up, but without the misalignment spacers so i drilled all the holes out to 5/8 and took a piece of 2" square tubing (measures just ever 2" wide) and also drilled a hole in it and bolted the tabs to it while i welded.

uppers

lowers

sway bar mounts and primer

here are the frame brackets, holes allow for 50% and 70% AS

in place

the issue...

bc im using the 2.5" box its hard to space things away from the frame and i thought i had enough room... but alas... time to start cutting more...

in the mean time (to keep all the guys helping me busy) we went ahead and mocked everything up with PVC so they could cut the links

so while i worked on the frame notches the links got cut and the 8.8 got painted

and then another issue... but i knew it was gonna be the case. bc i run 5" of uptravel on 2.5" of lift, sometimes things get in the way of each other. nd i wasnt about to compromise the geometry i wanted bc of a little sheetmetal

heres another clearance problem that i havnt taken care of yet, the lowers hit the frame with about 3/4 " of travel
Unread 02-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #7
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

so now the solutions... i took and cut into the frame 2" down and half way into the top of the frame. then along to corner and just folded it in. then the ends were filled... i also gusseted the upper mount

which apparently i dont have a good picture of...

and the hole in the floor. 12 ga rolled and formed around the corner of my welding table... my buddy nick has prolly 4 hrs in em... would be nice to have the proper tools...

nick welding

so before anyone say, the lower mounts are butt ugly... why not shape em? well bc they are the same height as my skid so...

so bc the cutting brake needs separate lines i decided to run the lines down the uppers. i went through BOXES and BOXES of brake lines till i found soft lines with female ends on both ends. if anyone wants the pns let me know. they were like 12 bucks a piece but they only had two in stock... and you need 4...

need to get some clamps and actually permanently attach it but zip ties work for now...

on its own weight for the first time in 4 days

and the snowy shakedown... yes doorless

where it contacts
Unread 02-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

WOOOT!!!

Unread 02-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
Tyler99TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How much better do you think this set up is over the factory 4 link and track bar? Did you think about stretching your wheelbase?

I was looking to 4 link the rear and I figured that I might as well stretch it at the same time. Then I have to move my gas tank, and lengthen my driveshaft and get new corners and move the coils, etc...
Tyler99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

MUCH!!! with the 8.8 and my wheel base about an inch back from stock i had all sorts of gas tank-rear diff-trac bar interference. to fab a trac bar that would clear everything and still allow the amount of down travel i run it made more sense to me to build this set up. also my trac bar bracket hit the rear x member and has pinched my fuel line almost completely shut. its fine for some but the engineer/fab nut in me likes the idea of being able to control the ways my suspension performs and knowing why it acts the way it does helps in a lot of situations.

stretching is a lot of work and takes a fair bit of time. and not really needed with 36s. with as little lift as i run my break over angle would suck. and this being my dd (and only vehicle i own) i cant afford that kind of down time. and imo a rear stretch w/o a front stretch looks goofy.
Unread 02-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Really great work

That frame mount is very cool and gives me ideas for mine when the time comes.

Also, I never would have thought of the trick with the coat hanger but that's a pretty cool trick. I'll have to remember that
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 12:30 AM   #12
Jtrux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I dont know much about heim joints but do you think they will last with DD use?
Unread 02-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #13
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

Dave at ruff stuff said I should be getting between 18 and 24 months out of em, depending on what kind of terrain I wheel on, which is more than I was getting between rebuilds on my re joints... but to further answer that, the ride is so much better than is was with re. Everything feels tighter and the rear end actually follows the jeep and not the road.
Unread 02-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #14
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work! I might be a bit partial to the steel blue

Im looking at doing something similar and outboarding as well. Compared to the Ruffstuff heims, how do you thing JJ would hold up?
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

Call currie and talk to them is all I can really say. Johnny joints are pretty popular I just wanted to try these.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.