Another rear bumper/tire carrier build with a little more beef! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Another rear bumper/tire carrier build with a little more beef!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 04-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
flipper1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Another rear bumper/tire carrier build with a little more beef!

Well i Have been watching and learning and I decided to build my own(using some ideas from here and there). I completed it a few months ago and was trying it out before I posted, just to make sure everything worked.

It all started with this,

We'll start with the bumper,

It is a piece of 2"x4"x3/8" tubing. I cut and angled the ends for clearance. The clevis mounts are cut from 1" x 2" stock with a 1" hole. They were cut through the bumper and are welded on both front and back.

The receiver is a store bought piece from TSC. I used the 6" one. This was also welded from the front and back. The "saftey chain hook up spot" is a plate of 1/4" with 3/4" holes punched through.

The mounts were made of 3"x3"x3/8" square tubing 3" long welded to a piece of 1/2" flat stock 9" x 3". This was big enough to cover the stock bolt holes in the stamped stock rear cross member. The bottom strap was bent and welded on. It is made from 2" x ? x 7/16" flat stock. It was welded to the bumper but bolted to the frame. Behind the stamped stock cross memeber (not pictured) is four (total) 2"x 2" x 3/8" angle iron welded on both sides of the frame (inside the frame and outside) in both corners. They were tricky to get in there and welded up but the shackle clears them just fine. A total of 10 grade eight bolts hold it all together.

Unread 04-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
flipper1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Next is the tire carrier, I had planned on running 39" tires so I wanted a something good and sturdy.

The spindle is a complete unit I got from somewhere ( really can't remember), but it is a 1250 lb setup. It came with bearings, seal, spindle, outside hub, well basically everything. The right sized hole was cut through the bumper, top and bottom, and the shaft was welded in top and bottom.

The bottom piece was suppose to be 3" tall but I didn't want to wait for that size tubing so I went with 2"x 2" x 5/16" square tubing for everything. Another receiver was used from TSC in the top so I adjust/ remove the spare if I needed to.

I made a tire mount out of an old unit bearing from a 2500 Chevy truck I just cut off the bearing and stuff and welded it onto a peice of square stock (can't remember the size), and added some 3/8" braces and it was good to go. I welded it kinda offset so I could raise or lower the tire a few inches if I needed to. I drilled a few sets of holes so I could move the mount in or out depending on what backspace rim I used. I drilled a hole and welded a nut to the receiver so a 9/16" bolt could be used to keep the mount from rattling.
Unread 04-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
flipper1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

For the latch I used a piece of tubing that was 1/4" wall with a 1" ID. and welded it through the bottom brace. I left it sticking out about 1 1/2" inches so you would not bust your knuckles screwing out the bolt.

On the bumper I used a piece of 2"x 2" x 3/8" angle with a 1" nylon lock nut welded on the rear. Yeah I know, the heat from the weld kinda melted the nylon part!

A 1"x 4" bolt was welded to a peice of THICK wall tubing. I went this route because it was cheap, and the size of that bolt could help with load carrying on the spindle. I will say it does not rattle!

Finished product! It is very tight and has not came open while driving. I need to find a way to secure the T- bolt to the swing arm some how so I won't lose it.

And I made a getto cooler rack but I dont have any good pictures, i will get some better. It is made from 1" square tubing and is welded/braced to a piece of 1/2" plate that is removeable from the unused lug studs (very top one and very bottom one) on the tire mount.

How it looks from the rear, with only a 36" tire.

Unread 04-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
TheSherp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I built somthing very simular. how long have you had this on with your 39" on it. I have a 33 on mine and I've noticed that it has sagged just a little. I also bought a pin like yours to make sure this wouldent happen. Its not bad at the moment but if it gets worse I'm not going to be happy.
TheSherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
flipper1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't keep the 39" on it all of the time. Only when I drive it for a long distance away from the house and on trail rides. I haven't had a problem with it since I got it done(5 or 6 months).

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.