Another Garage Hardtop Hoist - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Another Garage Hardtop Hoist

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Another Garage Hardtop Hoist

The ceiling height and cramped quarters leaves much to be desired so I had to change things up from others that built theirs before. Thanks to all who posted theirs, giving me ideas to make mine work.
Originally I did not have the center pully point and one side pulled at about a 12% faster rate.
When not in use the cables interlock and 1" box steel tube cross bracing gets wire tied up.

In use.

With sport bar and seats pulled for roll in bed liner install.

tangotag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Nice job man!
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
CJ7Pilot

You know, I bought one of those worm-drive hand winches from Harbor Freight, and I've never used it for anything because you can't let the cable out (unless you just slowly unwind it).

I always thought is was useless, but you've found a good use for it. Good job!
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good!

Being such a light application this may not matter but..those cable clamps you have put on there,the general rule of thumb is"Never saddle a dead horse",which is a simple way for us Riggers to remember and teach that a cable clamp belongs with the saddle part on the live side of the cable..not the dead end side,that's the way they are designed to be used.
And no i wasn't looking for something wrong..lol..it's just a habit for me since as an ironworker rigging is one of our specialty.

I like how you designed it for more headroom..great job!

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the compliments.

Ironworker709
"Never saddle a dead horse" = The U bolt should be covering the dead end and the maliable "saddle" goes on the load end. Right?

For safety sake and future reference I will change my clamps to reflect the correct way.
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangotag View Post
Thanks for the compliments.

Ironworker709
"Never saddle a dead horse" = The U bolt should be covering the dead end and the maliable "saddle" goes on the load end. Right?....correct

For safety sake and future reference I will change my clamps to reflect the correct way.
cool,again i wasn't "Nit Picking"..lol..just a habit since i use those cable clamps daily for rigging and safety lines on the iron.

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:49 PM   #7
clark123456
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Great job! It's much better than my current setup.

Do you have a price tag on that setup?
clark123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 04:09 PM   #8
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Price tag, kind of hard to say as I had most of the materials laying around in the shop. I had bought the winch about 3 years ago figuring I'd use it some day, steel tube was extra shop stock, the locking carabiner was too worn for field use but still functional, and I ran to pick up some small parts from a home improvement store. I borrowed a friends Hand Swager for the permanent cable sleeves at the carabiner and one lower end. The other 3 lower connection points have the trio adjustable clamps.
Less than $100 for sure.
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
JWMII
1978 CJ7 

Top Hoist

Nice Job. By the way the Iron Worker is right,but remember you only need two things to be an Iron Worker. Size 13 hard toes and a size 3 hat.
JWMII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #10
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWMII View Post
Nice Job. By the way the Iron Worker is right,but remember you only need two things to be an Iron Worker. Size 13 hard toes and a size 3 hat.
and you forgot the part about needing to have"Women Reppellent" to ward them off because they drool over the size 13 shoes and other parts that match that size....

Never forget 9/11

Tags
garage , hard top , hoist

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.