Angle Grinder or Die Grinder??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Angle Grinder or Die Grinder???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 01-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Angle Grinder or Die Grinder???

So for Xmas I recd a stainless siphon sprayer and decided to return it for a grinder of some sort and maybe a gravity feed sprayer. Good decision?

What is the difference between a die grinder and a straight or angle grinder? Or better yet, which will I get to use more as a Jeep owner? Is a HF model good enough or should I go some other brand name?

KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

An angle grinder is what you want.

I will never use harbor freight angle grinders. I have a picture for that involving 200+ stitches ....

Spend the extra cash and get one with a paddle switch vs the sliding switch. Tons safer and easier to work with.
Unread 01-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #3
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

die grinders have their uses, usually hard to reach places. You need an angle grinder for sure though. its in the top 5 tools needed to keep your Jeep running. BFH and nice set of torx bits would be great choices also on said list
Unread 01-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, Norcal_Chris, sorry about the 200+ stitches! Advice taken!

Goob, I have a BFH, Torx bits, a nice compressor and a bunch of air tools etc... for some reason I haven't purchased a cutting wheel/grinder.... I just got a bit confused and think people refer to anything close as an angle grinder. I never hear people say I grabbed my die grinder...

KCCO
Unread 01-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #5
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've had 3 harbor freight angle grinders over the years, they all worked well beyond what I would expect for a $15 investment and none of them hurt me. Air tools from harbor freight have never proven durable in my experience so I would't even consider a die grinder from there.

As said above, you can do alot more with a angle grinder than a die grinder... or at lease do it more efficiently. I still tend to use the die grinder cutting wheel alot in the tighter areas for the same things as the angle grinder... each tool has its purpose though.
Unread 01-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

you will use a right angle grinder as much as any other tool you have.

Wait till they are on sale for $10 and buy several. It's way easier to swap from cut wheel, to grinder, the flap wheel to, to wire brush by just changing which is plugged in.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #7
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Die grinders are great if you need to grind inside of small things. I agree with paddle switches, whether its a die grinder or angle grinder. Much safer than a regular on/off switch.
Steve707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
you will use a right angle grinder as much as any other tool you have.

Wait till they are on sale for $10 and buy several. It's way easier to swap from cut wheel, to grinder, the flap wheel to, to wire brush by just changing which is plugged in.
And buy ONE lifetime warranty for the lot. Only one should break at a time. I have six of the HF models in my shop. However for the big jobs, I have a proper angle grinder in each of three sizes.
Unread 01-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #9
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a Dewalt 4.5" angle grinder that I have worked the shi* out of. It was even submerged for a month in rain water. I took it apart, broke it free with WD40, cleaned it up some and I am still using it 2 years later. Not bad for a $40 investment. I have cut off wheels, a diamond cut, and various grinding wheels. I use it at home and work. Just cant beat the versatility.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I also have a Dewalt 4.5 that is about 20 yrs old now. More hours have been spent working with that one power tool than all the others combined.
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #11
1320yj

I use my die grinder a lot, reaming out holes,and cutting things with a cutoff wheel I use it much more than my angle grinder.
But if you are planning a lot of fab and welding you will need an angle grinder too.Both are available @ Harbor Freight and for the DIYer they will do just fine.
1320yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #12
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the responses... I love this forum. As for my uses, I am a backyard mechanic. I do most of the work on my Jeep. I have busted out the sawzall where a grinder of some sort def would have done the job better. I dont weld or fab necessarily but want something I can hook up that will get most of the jobs done without too much fiddling around with attachments etc...

KCCO
Unread 01-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #13
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Then get both.
Unread 01-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #14
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you aren't sure how much you are going to use it, go with a cheap HF unit to start. If you end up using it often and eventually kill it, then buy a better one.

I have a great 4.5", 11amp Milwaukee (via Home Depot), and would recommend it. But it's at a totally different price point than the HF.

I also have a 4" HF unit that never use. I thought it had died, but it only needed new brushes (HF included spare brushes in the box). I never use the HF because the Milwaukee is so much more powerful, that I can accomplish tasks faster with it - even when including the time required for changing out cutting wheels to grinding wheels, etc.
Unread 01-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #15
Jeepsr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_chris View Post
An angle grinder is what you want.

I will never use harbor freight angle grinders. I have a picture for that involving 200+ stitches ....

I want to see the pic. And what happened to cause the damage? Cause I got a couple of those things I use in nasty places. I know they up to no good, but I did not know I needed to keep eye on them or pat them down for a knife...

My attempt at humor.... But I really want to know.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.