Alternator/Welder - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Alternator/Welder

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #31
buckshot500
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
That will be a good thing if you plan to use it as a production shop welder where a 100% duty cycle is needed. Otherwise, even a 20% duty cycle is fine for the occasional trail repair as alternator welders here on JF will mostly be used for.
That's prolly true, but if you consider the low cost of an old large frame Ford alternator from a junkyard, that has at least 100 amps that's hard to beat!

You can burn 1/16" rods all day, for the price of the alt, a new belt & some thick jumper cables! Maybe $60.00

90YJ98XJ
buckshot500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #32
DonAltman3
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Belive it or not you can get that alternator all day long from "first call" the commercial leg of Oriles Auto Parts store.. they carry Dixie alternators .. You can get the 22SI with the same voltage and it has a smaller case from Dixie. That lease neville pad mount is a good alternator and I haven't had any trouble with the dixie knock off of them. I have some with 500,000 miles on them...

I manage a diesel shop/fleet for a concrete company and uses these dixie alternators all the time.
DonAltman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 08:11 AM   #33
sprad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4W-93XJ View Post
sorry to say, this isn't a MIG welder.. MIG stands for Metal Inert Gas.. Inert gas being CO2 or Argon..

That's a flux core welder.. if you look at the wire ID it'll have a T standing for tubular wire.. MIG uses S wire, or solid wire..

Sorry to say but he was right, that is a MIG. the kit he has shown comes with the gas tube so u can run it with solid wire and gas or no gas and flux core wire.
Unread 08-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #34
Kman1983

1983 CJ5 

Any more pics? I'd like to see those doors also!
Kman1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #35
1997xj2dr
1997 XJ Cherokee 

full frontal hijack.....
with how huge the internet is and how cool weldernators are i'm kinda suprised how few write ups like this there are. I keep searching and come acrossed the same few ones. I bought 40 feet of #2 wire and a stinger and ground today. I'm trying to figure out the easiest alternator to use, it seems like ford ones are. But i want a fool proof way to weld by next week.
Unread 06-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #36
bigwahini
1998 TJ Wrangler 

switching ideas

You said that just before you strike an arc you would flip a switch to energize the field wire. Have you thought about a push button switch on the handle? You could energize whenever you wanted......Scottie.
Unread 07-31-2010, 11:45 PM   #37
buckshot500
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwahini View Post
You said that just before you strike an arc you would flip a switch to energize the field wire. Have you thought about a push button switch on the handle? You could energize whenever you wanted......Scottie.
That's a great idea Scottie, I may have to give that a try!

That would really work well with a TIG torch too. Saw one at the pawn shop the other day, but didn't have the cash to grab it.

90YJ98XJ
buckshot500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #38
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i herd tell you can weld with 2 batterys?

fla cracker head born and bred

build- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hread-1065655/
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator , welder

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.