air compressor scfm question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > air compressor scfm question

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits 2010-14 Jeep Wrangler Island Topper Black Rugged Ridge 1352007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 Door Black Cargo Net (

Unread 10-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
muddmonky
1998 XJ Cherokee 

air compressor scfm question

sorry if this is in the wrong spot but i wasnt sure where to post it.

my question is about air compressor scfm and a few tools im looking at. i know what scfm but its the rating on the tool thats confusing me.

i want to use impact guns and air ratchets mainly so im looking at 26 galon compressors and up. the highest scfm iv seen on a compressor was 10.5 on a 60 gallon and around 7-8 on the smaller ones.

snapons impact gun says...
Air Consumption, Free Speed, CFM (SCFM) [L/MIN] --- 4.0 (29) [113]

well scfm is in () but iv never seen a compressor at home depo that had 29 scfm they only got to a max of like 11 so does that mean i cant run that gun on those 60 galon tanks? or am i sapost to be looking at the guns regular cfm of 4 which means its plenty for that tank to handle.

muddmonky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If an air tool's consumption exceeds the output of your compressor, what that means is with continuous use you will eventually run the tank down, and have to wait for the compressor to recharge it before you can resume work. For an impact wrench, and the size of compressor you are looking at, don't worry about it. You will not normally run that type of tool continuously. For air sanders/grinders, sandblasters, etc. it can be a big issue.
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
93Survivor
1993 YJ Wrangler 

As was stated, it becomes an issue on continuous use. As a shop compressor running air tools, I'd recommend a 60 gallon minimum with a 80 gallon preferred. It's like nearly every thing else with power/shop tools, your best bet is to buy the best you can afford.

Also make sure of the rating on the compressor. A lot of scfm ratings are based on the absolute peak HP of the motor and not the sustainability of the pump. A good quality 2 stage oil bath compressor, with a quality motor is all that most home guys would ever need.
93Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
coolin4u
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I know you said get the best you can afford but i cant afford any but gonna buy one anyway.so what can i get by with till i hit the lottery?
coolin4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

On a budget, you might try searching CL. I picked up a 5hp 80gal compressor with a low rpm Kellog pump.. thing chugs along at like 800rpm and spits out 15cfm @175psi or so.. and it's quiet enough that you can talk normally while standing next to it.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #6
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Second BESRK on the looking for used compressors. You may be able to get something cheap/free that will either work, or will work once you've put a little effort into it.

When I first bought my house, I was given a monster of an old compressor by a friend who had upgraded. I had to adjust the pressure switch a little, but I used it for several years until the motor finally died. It could have been rebuilt or replaced for not a huge amount of money, but in the end I bit the bullet and bought a new compressor with better CFM (the old one had a huge tank, but it couldn't keep up with my blasters).

Gave the old one to a friend who hauled it off; he's probably still using it. They are out there; you just need to look for them.
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #7
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Not to hijack.. but I've also got an old Kellog 321 Pump sitting in the shop. It needs to be rebuilt (or at least worked on). It was the original pump on my compressor and it finally gave up the ghost. I found a replacement "rebuilt" pump for $400 and replaced it.

The pump is just sitting under a table taking up floor space. I'd hate to just turn it in for scrap but I'm not planning on spending any time on it... So, if anyone local wants it, feel free to PM me and come pick it up. It's in zip 23608.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.