Air compressor pump has water in oil - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-21-2016, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
SemperFiGuy
1980 CJ5 

Air compressor pump has water in oil

So I have been given a free 60G compressor, regardless of type and intended use I am going to keep it. I went through it for some general maintenance items and found a lot of water in the oil, was running before I got it, though I'm not sure how well. Any ways as I was draining the oil it is quite clumpy and nasty, my thought was to flush with mineral spirits until the clumps are gone and then do 2 flushes with compressor oil. Does this sound like a viable option, suggestions appreciated, no I am not willing to save up and buy a different one.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-23-2016, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
SemperFiGuy
1980 CJ5 

Wow......nothing.

post #3 of 7 Old 02-23-2016, 08:11 PM
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Seems like a good plan to me, but I don't know that mineral spirits would be my "de-crud-er" of choice. My concern would be that it could dissolve seals in addition to chunky oil. Maybe try Seafoam instead?
post #4 of 7 Old 02-24-2016, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
SemperFiGuy
1980 CJ5 

Well, thank you, I didn't even think of Seafoam, I'll look into it.

Thanks again.

post #5 of 7 Old 02-27-2016, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
SemperFiGuy
1980 CJ5 

So I decided to not flush with anything but oil since I couldn't get a really solid answer. My first flush I couldn't build past 42 psi so I went digging, chances are it's the valve in the top. Inquired into that with no clear answer other than a rebuild. So now on my third flush and spraying PB into the intake I'm up to 90 psi, oil is still crudy, but I bought a case so I will keep doing it until. Hopefully by the end of today I'll be up to max psi which is 135 and cleaner oil. The top does get hot, but not schorching, and it has quited down some with the flushing, will probably look into a new drive belt as well. Trying to stave off a rebuild as long as possible, so far looking good.

post #6 of 7 Old 02-27-2016, 08:04 PM
ffjs87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You could try some marvel mystery oil. I freed up a seized boat motor last year. If by chance I have to flush oil due to something like water, I will mix in some marvel. I would not recommend just filling it with marvel and letting it go. Just mix in 25% or so.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-27-2016, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
SemperFiGuy
1980 CJ5 

Well, I got it up to 135 as spec'd and shut down as should. Opened the bottom and let it drop and it came back on went to 135 and shut back down, held there for several hours. I ended up putting PB in both the intake and exhaust, that really seemed to help. Changed oil one more time and it's still crudy and dark almost immediately, the longest I have run it has been to fill the tank after a full drain, I only have a quart and half left. After that it will have gone through a case of 6 quarts of flushing, guess I will just keep going with it. Thank you for the MMO suggestion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.