Advice on beads - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Advice on beads

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Advice on beads

I posted these pics in my build thread, but would probably get more feedback here. I'm just starting to learn to weld. I picked up a Hobart 210 MVP a month or so ago & finally got some time to play with it this past weekend. Below are some pics of the welds. Machine was set per the card inside the door for 1/4" material. Using .035 solid wire, 75/25 gas set to about 20 cfh per the manual. The clevis mounts are 1" thick & the rest of the material is 1/4". Any advice is greatly appreciated!

This is what I am trying to achieve. These were the welds on a bumper I had made at a local fab shop.

Here are my latest beads.

I'm definitely getting good penetration, so I don't think I need to worry about the strength of the welds.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Lincolnwelding
2000 XJ Cherokee 

What type of motion are you using? Front and back or up and down a little bit?
Its hard to give advice if im not watching you weld but they look pretty good so far.

Only thing i'll say is on the third picture up it looks like you could have sat at the edges a little longer. I like to play with my settings until i can take nice long pauses and really watch the puddle fill in on the sides without burning through the material.
WJC #292
Lincolnwelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnwelding View Post
What type of motion are you using? Front and back or up and down a little bit?
Its hard to give advice if im not watching you weld but they look pretty good so far.

Only thing i'll say is on the third picture up it looks like you could have sat at the edges a little longer. I like to play with my settings until i can take nice long pauses and really watch the puddle fill in on the sides without burning through the material.
I'm using the cursive e motion. Pushing the weld. Yea, tying in at the corners is something I need to work on a bit. I also thought about dropping the voltage one setting & slowing the wire speed so I can do exactly what you mentioned, slow down a bit.

Thanks!

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
Lincolnwelding
2000 XJ Cherokee 

No problem! Post some more pics once you start playing around with it! It doesnt get much better then moving around puddles of molten metal if you ask me
WJC #292
Lincolnwelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

looking really good! try pausing at the toes of your weld a little bit longer, if you use a forward oscillating (circles) motion- it will help tie those toes in a bit without having to pause on the sides for too long. keep your voltage where its at and turn the wire speed down just a little, keep it up
Unread 10-26-2013, 05:40 AM   #6
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Welds in the first pic are good, I like them. (second reading, oh the fab shop did those? explains that.)

Other pics look like you're stepping too quickly. It's gotta wet out at the toe of the weld more, so it doesn't look like wagon tracks. Basically just watch your consistency and timing, and watch your weld puddle. The beginning of a weld is going to determine how wide your bead will be at the end.
Third pic from the bottom, bring your welds around more to meet the tie-ins and melt them in.

And heat register at the back of the material doesn't necessarily mean you got good penetration, but beyond cutting and etching yeah it's the best indication you're gonna get other than just the feel of the weld when you're burning wire.

And with that size of material, you shouldn't be dropping voltage at all. "Get it hot and penetrate."

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.