98 Cherokee into a Comanche - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > 98 Cherokee into a Comanche

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Bowdrier
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

98 Cherokee into a Comanche

Where I live it's next to impossible to find a Comanche, even just a beater for parts, therefor I would like to turn my 4 door Cherokee into some sort of truck.

How would you go about challenging this project?

1st Picture my Cherokee
2nd Picture my ms paint concept idea

Thanks for any suggestions.

img_0903.jpg  
truck-cherokee.jpg

Bowdrier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 02:07 AM   #2
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Sawzall and a welder.......

More trouble than its worth IMO

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

by the time you remove that much sheetmetal, you would have to build a decent cage for structural support out back, essentially loosing the bed space you have gained.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

A guy in my wheeling club has a friend that has made a Cheromanche, I will see if he has a build thread on some forum. I might even see him today
image-2664579423.jpg

For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
A guy in my wheeling club has a friend that has made a Cheromanche, I will see if he has a build thread on some forum. I might even see him today
I actually really like that idea. Four seats...but cargo room for coolers and gear. The shop is inheriting a cherokee....will consider this seriously...
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

It's my opinion that it's more work than it's worth. The Cherokee is shorter than the Comanche as I recall, and it is a unibody vehicle. The roof is as structural as the rails below the floor. You can get away with cutting behind the C pillar and making a tiny little bed back there, but you'll be losing cargo capacity overall. Better, I say, to keep it intact, put the back seats down, and load it as such. I mean, it's not like you don't have space in the back already. The seats do stow. If you're not a fan of carpet in your cargo volume, go ahead and rip it out and bedline it. It'd wash out just as easy that way.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the want for a pickup, but the unibody design of the Cherokee is just not conducive to that. By the time you'd replaced the structural integrity you removed by cutting the roof off, you'd have lost all your cargo space again anyway.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Go over to Pirate4x4. It's been done hundreds of times over. But yes, without reinforcing with the likes of a cage, it will be structurally weak. It may be more effort than it's worth, but tell that to the score of people who have done so in their wheeling rigs. I'm sure an adequate solution can be made for the X tube in the back.

Tags
cherokee , comanche , custom , custom jeep , truck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.