'88 YJ roll cage started... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > '88 YJ roll cage started...

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #1
SamzJeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

'88 YJ roll cage started...

Well, after I made my swing out tire carrier last weekend, I started my roll cage for my '88 YJ. I'm leaving the stock roll bar in there and just adding to it. I'm using 1 3/4 .095 (because the metal yard was out of .120 DOM), 3/8" plate steel and some 1x2 (.120) rectangle tubing (the rectangle tubing is for the "legs" that will go from the dash bracket to the floor). I made a template for the brackets that I bolted to the dash, then I cut it out of 3/8 plate steel and added a gusset to each side. I'm going to use #8 bolts when I'm finished for all mounting points. My neighbor has a tube bender, so with any luck he'll be free this weekend to make the two bends that I need for the C-pillars. Today I tack welded a few things, so I thought I'd share the pics I have thus far. With any luck, I'm hoping to be finished by this Monday (if I get those two bends done this weekend). If not, I'll at least have the front part of the roll cage all tack welded until I can get the rear portion tacked in. Once I have everything tacked in, I'll remove the cage from the Jeep so I can finish welding and painting it. Then I'll re-install her for good. After it's finished, I'm going to make a new sound bar, but I'm going to mount that behind the B-pillar instead of over the front seats. I'll also make new front speaker boxes and mount them in the front corners between the windshield and doors (up top). I'm also going to see if I can fab up a locking overhead rifle rack for two rifles (for hunting and target shooting). We'll see how it all turns out in the next few days!

rollbar1.jpg

rollbar2.jpg

rollbar3.jpg

rollbar4.jpg

Unread 05-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
SamzJeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well, today I got all of the front part of the roll cage tacked in. My neighbor wasn't available today to make my two bends for the rear part. Hopefully he can help me out tomorrow...if not, I guess I'm stuck till at least next week...which sux. Anyone have any ideas how I can make my two bends without buying an expensive tube bender? I've seen (online) some guys do some tube bending with that cheap Harbor Freight "pipe bender." I just don't want to waist my money on buying one of those and then ruin some good tubing and wasting time and money. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention earlier that I'm going to tie the roll cage to the frame too. Here's a few pics of today's work.
rollcage1.jpg

rollcage2.jpg

rollcage3.jpg

rollcage4.jpg

rollcage5.jpg

rollcage6.jpg

Unread 05-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
SamzJeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Finished my role cage and swingout tire/jerry can carrier.
image-801011204.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.