8.8 build, weld brackets before or after regearing and new bearings? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > 8.8 build, weld brackets before or after regearing and new bearings?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
linexrandy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

8.8 build, weld brackets before or after regearing and new bearings?

My brackets came in and I was contemplating burning them on this week, but I also found a shop to regear it for $150 (I supply gears and install kit). Should I regear it after I weld the brackets on to prevent any possible damage to new bearings, or should it be welded first, then regeared. Just asking because I've always heard that the welding current will travel through the bearings and could possibley melt any rubber seals in the axle, and I will be moving soon and don't know if I can find any shops to do the regear for that cheap where ever I move.

2002 TJ Apex edition. 3" Full Traction Suspension lift. 1-1/4" body lift, 1" mml. 33 X 12.50 - 15 BFG MT. 15x8 Soft 8's. LP30 and D44 rear. 8.8 and HP 30 disco for sale.
linexrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You're not going to do something stupid like attach your ground to the bearings or axle flanges are you?? If the answer is no then weld away

Quote:
Just asking because I've always heard that the welding current will travel through the bearings and could possibley melt any rubber seals in the axle,
The person that told you this.....never listem to them again on anything either welding or automotive related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
linexrandy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thats what I needed to know. Err on the side of common sense.
2002 TJ Apex edition. 3" Full Traction Suspension lift. 1-1/4" body lift, 1" mml. 33 X 12.50 - 15 BFG MT. 15x8 Soft 8's. LP30 and D44 rear. 8.8 and HP 30 disco for sale.
Unread 02-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Welding through the axle can cause arc spots on the bearings, so ground as close as possible and don't ground across the pumpkin.
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
linexrandy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This is what I kinda heard, the "pitting" for lack of a better word from the arc going through the bearings with the rollers as contact points. Of course, this is info I gathered from people who "heard it from a friend", not ones that actually had it happen to them.

Soon as I get my SYE installed, gonna mock up the axle, weld the brackets, then do the regear. That way I have nothing to worry about. Going to replace all bearings and seals anyways so it shouldn't matter. Come on tax return money!!!
Unread 02-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

On a YJ most people have the axle all together and U-bolted into place so they can get the correct angle needed for the driveshaft while they have the vehicle load on the springs..THEN weld the bracket in place.

There is NO WORRIES about welding bearings together when welding the brackets on as long as you keep the ground close to your work and no bearings in the path of the weld current.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

The problems occur when you do something like.. attach your ground clamp to an axle flange, the pinion yoke or the carrier. If you did that, the full current would pass thru roller bearings and could cause arc pitting. If you attach your ground clamp to the axle housing/tubes/end flanges, you won't have any issues.

If time allows, I'd probably weld the brackets on first just so I wouldn't have to worry about the burning the axle seals.. or maybe having spatter find it's way into the carrier area somehow.. Other than that, it really doesn't make a difference which you do first.. weld or regear.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
linexrandy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Dang, so there is some truth to it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.