79 J-10 Custom Hitch Advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > 79 J-10 Custom Hitch Advice

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 01-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

79 J-10 Custom Hitch Advice

I've been thinking about a rear hitch, especially since I've recently taken a couple loads of wood to my Grandpa. Pulling a trailer would allow for quite a bit more wood per trip. Plus, I need a hitch/recovery point. I looked at BJ's Offroad but they only sell receivers for the Wagoneer, Grand Wagoneer, and Cherokee. I know that the J-10 frame is wider than the Wag frame so clearly, that hitch won't work.

So, since a hitch cannot be purchased, I'm thinking about buying the steel and building one myself. I have two small welders (stick and wire), I have access to a shop with a plasma cutter and a nice welder, I may have access to an actual metal shop, and I have a friend who can cut me stuff on a CNC machine if I so need. In the tool department, I'm pretty much covered. If I go this route, what material do I need (size, type, etc.). I need to look things over but I'm thinking about building one for the front as well while I'm at it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not extremely well versed in this yet but with the friends and resources at hand, I feel confident in how this could turn out.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
AtTheHelm

Thought about just doing a rear bumper and integrating a receiver?
If your only doing a receiver then 3x3x0.25" should be fine.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I'm just doing a receiver. The current bumper(s) will stay. I guess material sizes is more what I'm concerned about, which I know whether front or rear, will be the same.

Thanks for the advice as well!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 01-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Bump? I haven't started the project yet so any additional advice is welcome! I recently found out the friend with access to a CNC machine also has a stock pile of metal that 'needs thrown out'. I just need to let him know what size I'll need for everything (thickness, tube size, etc.). Thanks for the input so far AtTheHelm!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.