750 Dollar Welder Budget - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > 750 Dollar Welder Budget

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 01-23-2011, 01:38 AM   #16
Bigwillie343
2002 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for all your comment guys yeah i have been checking cl daily and im just waiting for the right deal to come along but i know i need to pull the trigger soon otherwise the money will burn a hole in my pocket and go towards less important things ...beer......... lol

Bigwillie343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 02:28 AM   #17
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

the hf mask dosent get dark fast enough, it is actually bad for your eyes, that milisecond is doing damage, you dont need a million dollar auto darkening mask, just get like a 100$ one.

gas and wire is the most expensive cost of welding i get 30ft spools for around 30$ and a 1500# tank refil for me is like 70ish on the business account, its normally like 90+ for most people. Find a welding supply store and buy a tank and get on the trade program.

I bought the first full tank, and I bring it back empty and they give me another tank, as often as I want.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #18
StupendousMan

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice_Cullen View Post
the hf mask dosent get dark fast enough, it is actually bad for your eyes, that milisecond is doing damage, you dont need a million dollar auto darkening mask, just get like a 100$ one.
Well according to the specs it is faster. HF Darkens within 1/25,000 of a second and lets say a Miller Pro-Hobby Series...1/12,000 of a second. Also, your claim about "bad for your eyes" How do you know this?... experience, optometrist? My personal experience with HF one, is that I have used it for about 3 (ish) years and no problems (verified by an optometrist) welding aobut what a hobbist would weld, about 1-2 hours a day 3-4 days a week. Not until I started doing more pulse welding did I see the helmet not working as it should. Not sure if this was a problem since the beginning or the helmet just wore out? So I went to a Miller helmet and have to say, great product! (this is of course is referring to mig welding, low amp tig, you have to have a more sensitive helmet, and usually more expensive)
StupendousMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #19
Bigwillie343
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Im starting to get this really bad itch for a millermatic 211 only because of its MVP ( multi voltage Plug) capabilities but this would put me over my budget and into severe penny counting status for the upcoming couple months my question to you guys is

1. do you think its worth it?
2. do you think sometime in the near to mid future Hobart will come out with the same technology?
Unread 01-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #20
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Buy buy buy buy!
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #21
Bigwillie343
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone else have any input
Unread 01-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #22
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know...Do you think Miller will come out with a battery powered welder like the Trek 180? That also runs off of 110V.
Probably not because the parent company shouldn't compete too much with itself
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 12:48 AM   #23
Bigwillie343
2002 TJ Wrangler 

just found a Miller Syncrowave 180 SD on craigslist for 1000 dollars would this be able to handle suspension and cage welding?
Unread 01-31-2011, 02:05 AM   #24
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Remember Tig is much harder to use when it comes to welding up under the jeep. I would stick with Mig myself, Tig is great to use on the work bench but its 10x harder to use in tight spaces and upsidedown.

Just about any welder that runs off 220v will be fine for suspension and cage work.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 07:17 AM   #25
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you're still wanting to stay in the 750.00 range then go with a Hobart 187 or a Lincoln 180 and be done with it,either one will ANYTHING plus more than needed on a Jeep,they both are capable of running .025 for sheetmetal repairs up .035 for 1/4" and more..they both are capable of running .045 but that is really putting the machines to the limits which is not advisable.

You could also add about 50.00-75.00 to you're budget and get the Miller 180 with the MVP so you can use 110v if totaly necessary,but if i have access to 220v i would not use 110v for the fact no matter what wire you run it will run 100% smoother.

You will never "need" more than an a 180 amp or so machine on Jeep projects unless you are going to get into some serious full time fabrication bussines.

I still roam eBay and check out the welders,people are still gettin brand new Lincoln 180's shipped to your door for around 500.00 to 550.00 from an authorised dealer,so the Lincoln warranty is good on them.
I got mine for 500.00 shipped to my door from there

Just for an example of what a Lincoln 180 is capable of,here is a few pics of mine running .035 Fluxcore AND .035 MIG

1st pic is Fluxcore 3 passes

2nd pic is MIG single pass

3rd pic is MIG 3 passes

4th is my Lincoln 180
fluxcore1.jpg   mig1pass.jpg   mig3passes.jpg   lincoln180-.jpg  

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 08:00 AM   #26
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

For 750, I might look at a used welder. You can sometimes get some higher-model ones that are in great shape for that kind of money.
Not that there's anything wrong with the ones you are looking at, by any means.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:05 AM   #27
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you are wanting know the facts on auto hoods..go here........
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/a...facts-1028748/

I had the HF type hood years ago..it worked"OK" but never seemed to have much clarity through the lens to see where you are going,and plus the shade control was never right as far shades,even at the lowest shade setting it was always too dark for my preference,you would have to use and compare an HF to a good quality auto hood to know what i mean.
You don't have to spend 100's of dollars for a quality auto hood anymore,there is plenty out there that are top dog brand names and now competing with these chinese auto's,but they work much better and more clarity through the lens.

Do some reading in that auto hood thread ,its an "eye opener" for auto hoods

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:26 AM   #28
ColdWeatherTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is a very informative thread. I am also looking to buy a welder for use on my jeep as well as other projects. I have been hoping to stay around the $1000 range. The hobart 187 and 210 seem very good. Are there any other welders that I shold be considering or inquiring about in the price range?
ColdWeatherTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 01:22 AM   #29
AKeate
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupendousMan View Post
Well according to the specs it is faster. HF Darkens within 1/25,000 of a second and lets say a Miller Pro-Hobby Series...1/12,000 of a second. Also, your claim about "bad for your eyes" How do you know this?... experience, optometrist? My personal experience with HF one, is that I have used it for about 3 (ish) years and no problems (verified by an optometrist) welding aobut what a hobbist would weld, about 1-2 hours a day 3-4 days a week. Not until I started doing more pulse welding did I see the helmet not working as it should. Not sure if this was a problem since the beginning or the helmet just wore out? So I went to a Miller helmet and have to say, great product! (this is of course is referring to mig welding, low amp tig, you have to have a more sensitive helmet, and usually more expensive)
I used my HF Auto-Helmet to mig weld for a month or so on an almost daily basis. I had several hours of welding with it each day, and I didn't have a feeling anywhere close to arc burn after any of it.. And I've had full on arc burn (long story).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
If you are wanting know the facts on auto hoods..go here........
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/a...facts-1028748/

I had the HF type hood years ago..it worked"OK" but never seemed to have much clarity through the lens to see where you are going,and plus the shade control was never right as far shades,even at the lowest shade setting it was always too dark for my preference,you would have to use and compare an HF to a good quality auto hood to know what i mean.
You don't have to spend 100's of dollars for a quality auto hood anymore,there is plenty out there that are top dog brand names and now competing with these chinese auto's,but they work much better and more clarity through the lens.

Do some reading in that auto hood thread ,its an "eye opener" for auto hoods
For the typical hobbyist, i think it's a great cheap option. If I was going to be using it daily for any extended amount of time I would have gotten a nicer one because you get what you pay for... And... It's HF... Yuck.

And the reason I compare to the Snap-On hood is that's the only one I've used of any significant quality. And while I understand the clarity issue that you have with it, I'd venture to say that most hobbyists aren't nearly that picky. I'd personally rather have a cheap auto darkening than a regular hood. It significantly helped my welding.
AKeate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 03:31 AM   #30
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKeate View Post
For the typical hobbyist, i think it's a great cheap option. If I was going to be using it daily for any extended amount of time I would have gotten a nicer one because you get what you pay for... And... It's HF... Yuck.

And the reason I compare to the Snap-On hood is that's the only one I've used of any significant quality. And while I understand the clarity issue that you have with it, I'd venture to say that most hobbyists aren't nearly that picky. I'd personally rather have a cheap auto darkening than a regular hood. It significantly helped my welding.
True....but...limiting the clarity of seeing the weld puddle clearly limits the quality of your weld..seeing the actual difference between the metal and slag,,seeing if you are creating undercut..too much fill..etc.

I can see much more clearly while welding with just an old fixed shade lens then i could with my old chinese HF type.

I agree for 40.00 or less at times its a pretty good deal..but just my opinion even if just a hobby weldor and only welding a few times a month or less,it still limits you're capabilities to learn it much better..a weldor is ONLY as good as what he can see behind the hood.

Never forget 9/11

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.