750 Dollar Welder Budget - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > 750 Dollar Welder Budget

Ford Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
Bigwillie343
2002 TJ Wrangler 

750 Dollar Welder Budget

I'm looking for some advice from the experts on the forum in this area. I read the whole sticky on welders and feel like I have a better understanding for what I'm looking for however I just wanted to check. I will, in time, be looking to build myself a roll cage a couple years down the road once my welding skills become good enough. In the mean time in looking to build a snowboard rack for the back of my Jeep. Also looking to build some tube fenders. The welders I've had in mind are the Hobart Handler 187 or 210 or a miller comparable to those. Keep in mind the title as I am a college kid and even that much money is painful to spend.

Bigwillie343 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
jusjammmin

187 for sure. itll cover all that and everything you need im getting mine next week TSC has them for 659
jusjammmin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your on the right track.Its nice to see that youve spent the time to research before asking. Will this include a helmet.gas bottleand gloves or can you spend a few more on those. Stick with a name brand and you wont go wrong.
Congratulations on a purchase that will last a lifetime.
Ron
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Bigwillie343
2002 TJ Wrangler 

yeah i have set aside some extra money for those things i was wondering if anyone had any experience with the ....i know .... Harbor freight auto darkening helmet ive seen nothing but good reviews from then
Unread 01-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
coloradojeeper9
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwillie343 View Post
yeah i have set aside some extra money for those things i was wondering if anyone had any experience with the ....i know .... Harbor freight auto darkening helmet ive seen nothing but good reviews from then
I have had people tell me to buy a high quality auto darkening helmet But I already spent all my money on the welder and take so did not have 300 for a helmet so I got 1 from harbor freight and I have had no issues with it. I love it and dont see the point of spending pore on a helmet now
coloradojeeper9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
Bigwillie343
2002 TJ Wrangler 

what are thoughts on the lincoln 180
Unread 01-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
jusjammmin

You cant go wring with that i think it has 4 voltage taps instead of the 7 the 187 has dont quote me on it though
jusjammmin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
baldeagle1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Alot like the miller better. But, I have the lincoln 180 and it has ben a great little welder.
baldeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
Bigwillie343
2002 TJ Wrangler 

there is a Hobart 175 with gas tank and regulators being sold local for 450 bucks is that pretty much the same as the 187
Unread 01-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #10
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
there is a Hobart 175 with gas tank and regulators being sold local for 450 bucks is that pretty much the same as the 187
I think that was just the previous model. I bought the Lincoln 175 right when the 180 came out and got it for $420 to the door new in the box. I think as long as you stay with a reputable machine, Miller, Hobart, Lincoln you'll be fine and should be able to find something well within your budget.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #11
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
One of my helmets is the HF solar powered auto darkening. IIRC, it adjusts from 9-13. No complaints so far & I've had it for years.

Its this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/adjusta...met-46092.html
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #12
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

this is a good thread, im looking for a welder too, with a little smaller budget tho lol, i have a 110 chicago electric that you cant use gas with, makes for some cruddy lookin welds sometimes, but i have the auto darkening helmet from harbor freight and i have no complaints, had it for 3 years so far
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 11:30 PM   #13
StupendousMan

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got my Hobart 210 for 600 new. Some guy on CL was selling it, so check there first. As long as the machine is in good condition and works go, for it. If the seller "can't hook it up" to show you it works, don't even bother.

As for the HF helmets, I have used one for 3 years and works good. After a few months of solid welding, had to get my bi annual eye exam and Dr said saw no signs of flash, so good there. However....For the past few months, I noticed I was doing pulse welding and I would randomly get some flash. No idea why??? So I have since bought a miller performance series, but keep that one around for guests and friends to use.
StupendousMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 11:32 PM   #14
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

i love my millermatic 180. done roll cages, put a whole floor or 14 guage and 3/16 plate in my xj with it ect

amazing machine, have welded 1/4 no issues. you wont touch a whole set up for that price tho.
I think i got the machine, gloves, mask, 1500# argon bottle full, and 2 spools of wire for like 1100 - 1400 somewhere in there i forget now.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #15
AKeate
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you're a beginner welder GET AN AUTO DARKENING HELMET! The harbor freight one I bought, I had the option of getting a warranty so I spent the extra ten bucks on a 2 year warranty.

Totally worth it.

Gets the job done same as the Snap On one I've used... Smaller viewing area, yes. Ugly with it's blue flames, yes. But it doesn't blind me, and it's not 6293429840209 dollars. Totally worth the money. And it's held up well so far! It's one of the FEW things I would recommend to get from HF.
AKeate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.