5.0 ho tj engine conversion - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > 5.0 ho tj engine conversion

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 01-24-2003, 07:20 PM   #31
GEAH

I ran across a deal in a local trader paper and got the complete Transmission and Transfercase from a '78 half ton. Thats an NP435 and Np205 complete for $200 the guy bought the truck for parts and didnt need the drive train just had to replace the bell housing to make it work.

Unread 02-06-2003, 04:21 AM   #32
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Don't know if this has been asked, but which headers are you going to or are you running?

I am doing a 5.0L CJ/YJ conversion and plan at this time to use JBL 1 1/2" dia, shorty header, similar in shape to stock Mustang headers.

The only thing that chaged in my CJ chassis setup is a left hand drop t/c.

Thanks,

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2003, 08:47 AM   #33
drtjmpr17

you should be fine with the shorties....

I am using the stock ford headers in my tj.... work great... plus they have alot of room to grow..

your only problem with them might be some crazy bend that will let it get by the t case...

Josh

[b]proud supporter of jeep forums[/b]
[b][url=http://www.jeepforum.com]JeepForum[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://www.jeeps4me.com]Jeeps4Me[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://www.jeepsunlimited.com]JeepsUnlimited[/url][/b]

[b][size=2][color=green] Green Jeep Club Member #4[/b][/size][/color]
[url=http://groups.msn.com/Joshsjeep/shoebox.msnw]My jeep[/url]
drtjmpr17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2003, 04:13 PM   #34
BorderCityXJ

Hey guys, I'm a newbie, and I've got a question.
Would a 5.0 HO work as a motor swap into an '85 Cherokee? Mine won't pass e-test, and instead of dumping money into the tired old motor to make it pass, I'd prefer to invest a little bit into some power. Plus, I love ford and I have a Mustang GT, so I know a little bit about ford motors.. any input would be cool.

Thanks!
BorderCityXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2003, 06:11 PM   #35
Scafone
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Of course it will work, and well too. A 302 has great dimensions for a V8 (plenty of room in a Jeep), it's lighter than a Jeep 4.0L motor, and we know how nice that torque is, which is exactly what we need.

Just remember you'll need to either adapt to your Jeep trans, or get a Ford trans/t-case, and you'll need different length driveshafts, motor mounts, oh and then you have to wire it in...carbed would be easier, etc, etc. There's a lot to it, but it is very possible. It'll all be worth it.

Let's see...would I rather have a Chrysler or Ford drivetrain....? I made my decision before I bought my '98. Unfortunately DC just happens to make the body-design I wanted. I hope to have my 5.0 TJ done this summer. Good luck!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
--Thomas Jefferson
Scafone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2003, 11:04 AM   #36
BorderCityXJ

The motor is no problem to get, and once I find out which trans/t-case will work best, I can start looking for those as well, since I don't think my Jeep tranny would hold up very long to a 302's torque.

For a different length driveshaft, is there one I can get out of another vehicle, or am I going to have to get mine shortened/lengthened? And I'm probably going to need custom motor mounts, right?

Sounds like a lot of work, but fun work.. I'll have to weigh my options here and see if I think I can pull it off.

Thanks for the motivational words
BorderCityXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 07:33 PM   #37
Scafone
1998 TJ Wrangler 

np435 or a t 18 tranny and a np 205 t-case is what I'm gonna look for behind my 302.

Quote:
am I going to have to get mine shortened/lengthened?
I'd be shocked if you didn't need different length shafts.

I could go for some more motivation myself. Anyone??
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
--Thomas Jefferson
Unread 02-18-2003, 08:29 PM   #38
V8wrangler_idaho

im running a t18 and np205 tranny behind my 302 ya you need diffrent lenth diver shafts. depending on where you put your motor mounts will depend on how long the drive shafts will be. my rear drive shaft eneded up being longer then the stock one and the frount drive line is just slightly shorter. and thats ok with me. you can buy a moter mount that will bolt right into your jeep for the 5.0 just check out

zandm.com

they have alot of cool convertion stuff for the 5.0 to jeep swap. thats where i got all my ideas for my swap. didn;t buy anything from them though.

93 wrangler 8 inch SOA SRS suspention lift 35/12.50 Mt. efi 350 700r4 tranny np 205 t case dana 44s front and rear. lots of extras.
V8wrangler_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 08:46 PM   #39
Scafone
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Z and M never returned my email and I heard somewhere that you shouldn't deal with them for some reason. But that doesn't mean they're no good.

Has anyone dealt with them before??

V8Wrangler: Did you homemake your motor mounts then? Also, would you recommend the cable clutch or hydr.?? I think I'd rather have the cable too. Thanks
--Thomas Jefferson
Unread 02-18-2003, 09:04 PM   #40
V8wrangler_idaho

hydro would be nice but i didn;t want to spend the money on makeing hydro work so i just made my own cable clutch set up i have some pics of it if you want to see them. its pretty simle set up really. but it was kinda pain to figure out all the angles and all that. if your really interested i might be able to make you a cable clutch for your jeep. I work for cheap. and ya i made my own motor mounts that are desinged alot like the zandm ones. but i dont; know anyone that has delt with z and m so i couldn't tell you one way or another on that one.

93 wrangler 8 inch SOA SRS suspention lift 35/12.50 Mt. efi 350 700r4 tranny np 205 t case dana 44s front and rear. lots of extras.
V8wrangler_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2003, 09:37 AM   #41
Jrod-13

Ford trannys

The T-18 was used until the 90's in ford trucks, my F-150 had one stock, behind a efi 302. It uses a external hyrdo. clutch.

The T-case backing it is a compact B-W 1356. The case is made from magnesium for less weight. The low range is a 2.6:1, much better than the 1.97:1 on a NP205. 80's fords also came with NP208's. look for an 80's truck with a 351, it will probaly have a C-6/208 combo.

The other manual used in fords is the m5od. It is a much longer tranny than a T-18, and is taller too. The strong points are the overdrive, the weekness is the gears are all way to high.

I see some people mentioned the AOD, the AOD is a great tranny, but just not stock. With the right parts, they can take well over 700hp. The only bad part is setting up the RV cable, which can be very difficult with a carb.

If your looking for a 5.0L they were used mustangs, lincoln MarkVII's and in some thunderbirds.

The H.O. is alot differnt from a standard 302 efi, H.O.s had a 351 firing order, a bigger cam, shorty headers, and forged pistons from 87-92.

Also, in 89(88 in CA) the mustangs got mass air sensors, older cars were speed density, all lincolns were speed density.

The MAF system is essential if you want to add any mods tot he motor.

Explorers also go the 5.0 motor. The explorer 5.0 is essentaly the same motor as the 93 cobra mustang, only with better heads. The esplorer used the GT-40 intake, and GT-40P heads, as opposed to the Standard GT-40s on the cobra. The GT-40P's flow better, but also use a special header since the plug is angled a little diffently. SOme after market headers will fit, some wont.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
Jared

89 F-150 359W, 600 holley, headman, ported heads, T-18, Ford 9", spool, 5" lift, 35" bfg KM MT

84 broncoII 302, 600 holley, 484"cam, jacobs, ladder bars, fender exits.
Jrod-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2003, 03:18 PM   #42
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

The shorty headers may not work.
I purchased a set thinking they will be OK and they will not work for my 5.0L/nv4500 setup with an external juice clutch.
I had a set of Ranger/5.0 adapter headers from L&L and sold them to buy the shortys, I think they would have worked; I wish I had waiting to sell them just to try them on.

I will have to find a set somewhere and try them out.

The juice clutch will be OK if I can find out about the right master cylinder to use with a Ford Slave cylinder or what to use period.

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2003, 07:56 PM   #43
ninjajeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by drtjmpr17
Yeah the ax-15 that I have has held up pretty good so far...

And I have around 325 horses pumping into it
Hey your "My jeep" link is no longer working...
Unread 03-24-2003, 06:35 PM   #44
drtjmpr17

yeah... i am not on Jf that much anymore so i haven;t updated things... sorry

do you need some pics or something..

also ... I have found that the ford slaves just don't hold up..

I use a chevy --- 4.3l slave... its an alloy and uses a regular line instead of a plastic one... i had mine made for 55 bucks..the line..life time warranty.. and the stock master works just fine with my setup... i say keep the master shell work ....

Josh

[b]proud supporter of jeep forums[/b]
[b][url=http://www.jeepforum.com]JeepForum[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://www.jeeps4me.com]Jeeps4Me[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://www.jeepsunlimited.com]JeepsUnlimited[/url][/b]

[b][size=2][color=green] Green Jeep Club Member #4[/b][/size][/color]
[url=http://groups.msn.com/Joshsjeep/shoebox.msnw]My jeep[/url]
drtjmpr17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2003, 04:29 PM   #45
Scafone
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Josh:

How's things going with your Jeep? Any issues? ...I guess you still have it, eh.

I'm still rounding up the parts to do my swap this summer.
--Thomas Jefferson

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.