48" Press Brake Project - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > 48" Press Brake Project

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #46
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Eddie I was thinking about the bushings, pins and the pivot points. I think I'd make the bushings in the frame itself a slip fit for the pins and use a set screw in the bushing to keep the pin from turning. Then I'd make the arms so that they could use replaceable bushings. That way when the bushings wear out you can take the arms off to press them out instead of trying to get them out of the frame. With no way for the pin to turn inside the main part of the frame that would never wear.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #47
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Jim.. plan is to cut the holes in the frame, arms and shackles to accept a pivot tube of 2.5"x3/8" DOM. That tube has the same ID as the Bushing's OD (1.75". So, the main frame, the arms and the shackles will all receive bushings. The pin will be flanged on one side and use a snap ring on the other to hold everything together. If the snap ring has trouble keeping it all together, I'll drill/tap the pin end for a retaining washer. I may drill the pin to make it greasable..

I just got done cutting the legs, punch holders and shackles out of 3/8" this afternoon. I plan on cutting the 1/2" tomorrow. I'll post some pics tomorrow evening..

Edit: I just reread what you wrote about pinning in the main frame.. good idea. Only wear will be in the arm bushings..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #48
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Eddie if you plan to use the pins from MSC with the heads on them and drill from one end you need to order a them at least 1" longer than you plan to use. Those dudes are about 62 rockwell all over but soft in the middle. Cut them off with an abrasive saw and you can then drill the ends.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #49
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Eddie if you plan to use the pins from MSC with the heads on them and drill from one end you need to order a them at least 1" longer than you plan to use. Those dudes are about 62 rockwell all over but soft in the middle. Cut them off with an abrasive saw and you can then drill the ends.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Yep.. already part of the plan..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 11-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #50
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Okay.. didn't get to the 1/4" plate today but I did finish the 1/2". First thing I had to do was figure out how to get it on the table.. a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" weighs about 640lbs or so. I wanted to use my little ghetto crane but it only has 3/8" hooks on the sling legs. Sooooo.. I made some bigger hooks out of the remaining 3/8" from yesterday..

Got the 1/2" sheet loaded and squared up on the table. Double checked the outer perimeter to make sure I wasn't gonna run the gantry off the track anywhere and then began to cut.

Although the plate was fairly flat, this happened when I finished cutting the punch plate out of the center of the sheet.. I think I can straighten it out though. I'm gonna use a bottle jack and chain to apply pressure and then weld on a piece of 1/4" on both sides to hold it in place.. we'll see how that works.

Since the main frame is longer than 8ft, I had to cut the hydraulic cylinder mount separate and will scab it in. Here's the "keyed" joint that I came up with. This joint will be welded and then scabbed over with the 1/4" plate.. pretty good fit.. just touched the corners with a flapper and it dropped right in place..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 11-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #51
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Here's the shackles.. 2 pieces of 3/8" laminated together. The pivot tube will be 2.5"x 3/8" DOM. I'll bore the DOM on the lathe if the bushings (still haven't arrived) are tight.

Heres the bed supports. These will slide into slots on the main frame and then I'll lay a couple strips of 1"x2" flat bar on them as the bed for the lower die.

Here's the main frame center section hanging from the ghetto crane..

Plan for tomorrow morning is to get both main frame outer pieces cut from the 1/4". I may also dig thru my scraps and see if I can come up with enough 3/8" to cut all the arms. That should at least let me begin assembling the frame... welding a little on it each day..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 11-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #52
Treton
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Holy late post... i wish i could have gotten to this thread sooner so other people wouldnt have already put out the information i have to input (pride)... im curious about your laminating process. heat and pressure? or are they welded and what keeps them from spreading in the center when the pressure is applied.... your math looks good but keep checking... you never know when a decimal might move haha. and its all about the leverage, in the case of the longer arms and leverage when it comes to hydraulic multiplication... sorry if a sound like im trying to be some teen talking down but im going to school for engineering and i LOVE these mechanics.
Treton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 06:23 AM   #53
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

All the pieces that will be "laminated" will be welded together. The two 1/4" outer main frame sheets will have a bunch of "X" shaped holes in them for rosette welding. I'll probably do a few holes at a time.. jumping around so as not to apply too much heat to any one area.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 11-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #54
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=BESRK;12569503]
Although the plate was fairly flat, this happened when I finished cutting the punch plate out of the center of the sheet.. I think I can straighten it out though. I'm gonna use a bottle jack and chain to apply pressure and then weld on a piece of 1/4" on both sides to hold it in place.. we'll see how that works.

The best way we've found out to correct this when we make long cuts with a track torch is use a rosebud torch to heat the opposite side of the bend a little and let it pull back into a straight peice little by little.
Never heat it enough that it turns cherry red,that makes mild steel a little softer.Just heat it enough that you see the steel turn color just a tad,you don't want to heat the whole thing all way through.
Sometimes we'll use Bridge Clamps and cut them in 1/2 to make a 1/2 clamp out them and weld to a fab table to apply downward pressure as we slowly heat the peice,after it cools a little you can actualy see the clamps loosen up on it as it cools,then continue to heat and apply pressure until its as straight as you want it.
You can also spray water on that side when its hot and actualy watch it pull itself straighter,either a little spray bottle with water or some soakin wet wrags and wipe across it.
Once its close to as straight as you want it,tack it to a straight fab table and apply just a little bit of heat again and let cool to room temp before cutting it loose..it usualy does the trick well and no stress in the steel.

Awesome Build!..i've been "secretly" watchin it come together..lol

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #55
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Yeah.. I thought about heating/quenching but my O2/AC tanks are empty.. and I kind of hate to fill them just for this. I'm not too concerned about stressing the plate to straighten it.. all it is is a guillotine.

We got the main frame cut today and did a little mocking up to see if my measurements came out okay..

Basically, I welded the leg pieces together and we "choker hitched" the main frame pieces together. We then dropped them on the legs.. fit like a glove..

Dropped the Bed Supports into place..

I'm going to use 1"x2" flat bar as the "bed" for the dies to sit on. I dropped a couple of scrap pieces of 1x2 in place to check fit.. along with a small piece of lower die that I had laying around..

I'll slide the bed up a bit before I weld it in place. I want it flush with the 1/4" outer main frame pieces. That will leave a 1/2" wide slot the length of the bed for the dies to fit into..

The "X"s are for Rosette Welding the outer plates to the center. I cut a few holes in strategic place for bolts to help pull everything together nice and snug when I begin welding..

Running out of room..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 12-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #56
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

This looks simple, you should just build two to be on the safe side and then give me whichever one is considered "unsafe" or "unfit" :P
addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #57
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I thought it looked simple enough at first... I'm learning otherwise.

Currently, I'm waiting on the bronze bushings for the pivots.. then, I'll size the DOM pivot tubes and start welding everything together..

Wife said she'd buy me a 5hp Leeson Motor for Xmas.. woohoo!!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 12-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #58
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Eddie- Dumb question, but I'm curious. How did you cut the X's?
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #59
webdog
DirtBound Offroad

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post

Running out of room..

Looks great!

If I end up with 1 more piece of equipment I will be forced to get a shop, I have been looking for one and just cant decide when is the right time to pull the trigger...
webdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #60
webdog
DirtBound Offroad

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Eddie- Dumb question, but I'm curious. How did you cut the X's?
The power of plasma!
webdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.