4 link ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > 4 link ?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
spider
1983 CJ7 

4 link ?

New to this forum but not to jeeps. I have a cj7 and am wanting to do a 4 link conversion on front and back...What would everyone suggest going with for ride, do you think some air shocks or coil springs would be better? I do about 50/50 driving between on road and off. Im thinking strongly about air shocks in the front but not sure about rear. I know springs would be cheaper, but is that my only advantage? are there any disadvantages to the air shocks for DD?

Thanks for any input

Unread 01-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
churchofjt
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've been inclined to say that if you aren't trailering it to the trailhead, go with coils. That way, if the shock fails, you can remove it and still drive home. Sure, it'll be a bit bumpier, but you'll still drive. Lose an air shock and you are up the creek, I believe.
churchofjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchofjt View Post
I've been inclined to say that if you aren't trailering it to the trailhead, go with coils. That way, if the shock fails, you can remove it and still drive home. Sure, it'll be a bit bumpier, but you'll still drive. Lose an air shock and you are up the creek, I believe.

this is true, but how likely is an air shock to fail?

IMO best of both worlds would be Coil overs.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
churchofjt
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Not likely, but it's piece of mind to my, I guess. I agree coilovers are the way to go, though.
churchofjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 05:37 AM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Just curious as to why you're wanting to go with a link suspension? Is it just for a smoother ride?.. more flex? both?

I think I'd either use coilovers if the budget allows. If it doesn't, I'd probably go with something like TJ coils.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
spider
1983 CJ7 

im wanting to go with 4 link bcuz of better ride and smoother flexing, also just wanting to do something different than a leaf build. Ive looked at some prices and i think i can get some air shocks for around less than $300 per corner, coil overs seem to be more expensive. Some tj springs are in more my price range but im not sure how i would do the coil bucket on front axle, with having full size axles.

Thought about going with tj springs on back and coilovers up front....How does everyone like that set up? Is there much advantage with going coilover/air shock on back vurses tj spring?

Thanks for the input
Unread 01-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #7
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Coil buckets on full width axles shouldn't be any different to mount than OEM axles.
wushaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 04:29 AM   #8
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Coilovers will clean up much easier making for less obstructions during high articulation and is why most will use them up front first, with all the steering junk in the way. A well made air shock and coils will do nearly the same thing but is just harder to accomplish. One thing I really like about coilovers and is one reason why prerunners use them are the combination springs they can use. For instance, one spring will allow for a soft 10" of travel, the next spring on top will be stiffer for the remainder 6 inches. This makes for really smooth landing while jumping, without bottoming out, and destroying the air/hydralic bumpstops. If you have the money, I would do coilovers, dont have to worry about spring mounts and retainers. They can take a effort to tune though and will need limit straps. If anything go with coilovers up front and coils in the rear. Most of the time you will have to cut into the cab to get good travel with coilovers in the rear and is why Jeeps dont do it a lot like the prerunner crowd, who usually end up with a cut up bed in the back.

I like 3 link up front and triangulated 4 link in the back, pretty easy setup to custom make that way.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.