3M structural adhesive vs acid etch primer. Any issues? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-18-2017, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
3M structural adhesive vs acid etch primer. Any issues?

I'm almost done sanding and scuffing the interior surfaces of my Jeep to spray Raptor liner. But now I have a judgment call to make as far as the Raptor substrate.

Option 1 U-POL ACID#8 etch primer. This is recommended by U-POL as a substrate for bare metal surfaces...which I have a lot of. However my worry is that the acid in the etch primer might somehow compromise the strength and or adhesion of the 3M high impact structural adhesive I've used to adhere my new body panels.
image-2230163149.jpg

Option 2 2K epoxy resin primer. No acid in this stuff so I can just release the hardener, and point and spray wherever I want not having to worry about any "potential" side effects with the 3M adhesive. However, the 2K is considerably more expensive by volume than the ACID#8 especially after all the dangerous goods filing fees required for international shipping. At this point I only have 2 cans of 2K left and It would be nice to save it for a future project if I could.

I've read the technical data sheet on the 3M high impact structural adhesive and there is no mention of acid etch primer. Vise versa there is no mention of structural adhesive in the tech data sheet on U-POL ACID#8,

About all I can confirm from the tech data sheets on all three products is that the 2K epoxy resin primer should not be applied over acid primers.

Has anybody here sprayed acid etch primer over 3M high impact structural adhesive? Were there any adverse reactions between the two?

My Surgical TJ-6 Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-27-2017, 08:16 AM
Bigbob

I'd just use the 2K primer. I see no need for etching primer. And from all I have heard the 2K and etching primers don't get along.

2006 Solar Yellow Rubicon Unlimited
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
post #3 of 4 Old 07-28-2017, 03:04 PM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Epoxy all the way. No etching.

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen

post #4 of 4 Old 07-29-2017, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Sorry I forgot to post an update. I got in contact with a 3M rep last week. No compatibility issues between the Acid#8 and the structural adhesive. I just need to scuff the surface of the adhesive to get a good bond.

I did lay down a couple coats of epoxy though. I didn't quite have enough to do the job. So I'll cover the bald spots with the #8 (also ok'd with reps from both the 2K epoxy and UPOL products)

My Surgical TJ-6 Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.