$30 TJ Fold Down Tailgate (and stuck torx bolt removal) - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > $30 TJ Fold Down Tailgate (and stuck torx bolt removal)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #121
Jersey_96XJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

like those hinges! Will be watching this. Have been wanting to do this for awhile. Just trying to decide which hinges to use.

Jersey_96XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #122
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Where did you get those hinges?
Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #123
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Andrew Nalin
NalinMFG.com
5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters
Facebook Like for a 10% Coupon Code
Connect with me on LinkedIn
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #124
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Did you reinforce the piece below the tail gate? The tailgate itself? Drill clean through the tail gate. Pics would be great! I'm worried of I reinforce the piece below the tailgate if won't sit flush with the tailgate
Unread 10-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #125
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
Did you reinforce the piece below the tail gate? The tailgate itself? Drill clean through the tail gate. Pics would be great! I'm worried of I reinforce the piece below the tailgate if won't sit flush with the tailgate
It's not mounted yet. Not sure if I want to use nutserts or drill through yet. I placed the holes in a way that drilling through would line up perfect with flat surfaces. I think drilling through would be stronger and less expensive. On the other hand nutserts may be easier to install(no need to drop tank to get behind bottom part), and look cleaner because there would be no nuts on the backside of the tailgate.

Also still deciding between black oxide countersunk hardware for hinges or button head 316 stainless. I plan on using small button heads for the other holes.

Andrew Nalin
NalinMFG.com
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #126
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
Where did you get those hinges?
They're strap hinges from McMaster-Carr.

Andrew Nalin
NalinMFG.com
Unread 12-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #127
Doubblea
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just got a tire carrier, saw this awhile ago, and want to do this. Any chance you can get the pics to work again?
Unread 01-14-2014, 11:30 PM   #128
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

damn ive been piecing together this project for a few weeks then i ran across this thread... so far i have cj hinges and ordered a pair of the stock cj cable brackets the the cable mounts to on the tailgate. still need to get the cables and hardware never used nutserts before but i might have to go that route. I like those hinges though lets see it finished!
2001 orange tj 2.5L (113,000) 35" Km2 Black rims D lp 30 Front and d 44 rear with ARB 1"BD MML, 1.25" BL, 4" RC Lift, Flat tc Skid, Adj rear ca's (front soon) TW rear DS, Novak shifter cable, JB ss SYE, RE angled rear trackbar, 8,000Lb Mile marker, Custom front and rear (w/swing) bumpers. Homemade CAI. Lots more to come.
rbkelley89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #129
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i got my cj tailgate cable brackets

planning on mounting them like this guy

does anyone see any problem doing this? I figured cjs came like this and many truck beds are attatched on the side like this so i figured it would look pretty good. This guy just used self tapping screws but id like to use some nutserts that i already have laying around. Never used nutserts so it think ill give it a go. I might use them for the hinges as well instead of dropping the tailgate.
2001 orange tj 2.5L (113,000) 35" Km2 Black rims D lp 30 Front and d 44 rear with ARB 1"BD MML, 1.25" BL, 4" RC Lift, Flat tc Skid, Adj rear ca's (front soon) TW rear DS, Novak shifter cable, JB ss SYE, RE angled rear trackbar, 8,000Lb Mile marker, Custom front and rear (w/swing) bumpers. Homemade CAI. Lots more to come.
rbkelley89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fold down , mod , tail gate , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.