$30 TJ Fold Down Tailgate (and stuck torx bolt removal) - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > $30 TJ Fold Down Tailgate (and stuck torx bolt removal)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #106
chefman
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just measured right and left of the tailgate. It looks super weird at first, cause the vent hole ain't quite center. But I ran the cables through the hole in the tailgate for the original wiring, then took them in the hollow area instead of completely through, and had the third brake light and my liscence plate light come through the vent hole just above my plate. I just used a cheapo liscence plate holder and frame from advance. Been solid since. I would like to have a solid piece of aluminium diamond plate for the tailgate and matching corners, but the powerball ticket I buy just keep saying the wrong thing, or maybe they are just picking the wrong numbers.....

chefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #107
chefman
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NalinMFG

how did you go about recentering your license plate? I've been meaning to to mine, this is what I have so far:

(Left: TJ, Right: JK)
Just saw your vent cover on your website. Very sharp!!! Cause I was using a 18" LED third brake light, I needed the liscence plate to be centered on the brake light, and the brake light centered on the left/right lights. If you don't intend on having a third brake light, or don't need things symmetrical, then those designs would work well, but otherwise you'd need to have a certain amount of optical illusion to accomplish a centered plate. I'll try to upload some pics tomorrow afternoon.
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #108
chefman
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You can see how the centering of the third brake light and liscence plate makes things look a little askew. I should've attached the plate with hinges in case I'm carrying anything that would need to have the tailgate down, but so far just not having the spare and third brake light sticking up in the center has been working very well. I use my TJ more as a pickup than an SUV, and as with most things in my life, form filled function. Eventually I'll have a piece of sheet metal or aluminum diamond plate cut to fit, covering the holes and dimples. Swag makes one, but now I have the hardtop without a good way to lock the glass (no tire), I'll have it cut to come up another inch to secure everything.

forumrunner_20120416_100119.jpg
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #109
ryan6580
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I made a drop down also! Super cheap!
forumrunner_20120416_211142.jpg  
ryan6580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #110
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan6580 View Post
I made a drop down also! Super cheap!
did you drill all the way through and use nuts on the inside of the tailgate? I made one almost exactly like that for a buddy of mine a few months ago, yours turned out pretty slick!

5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters
------------------------------
Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
www.NalinMFG.com
Facebook:
NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 04:55 AM   #111
ryan6580
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well I used a good self tapper. The setup was supposed to be temporary but its worked good so far I just left it. I'll eventually put a tramp stamp under it and do it the correct way.....lol
ryan6580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #112
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here's what I ended up with for mine:

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
www.NalinMFG.com
Facebook:
NalinMFG
Unread 07-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #113
Doubblea
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I love this...just need a swing out tire carrier first.
Unread 07-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #114
kylo
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just finished mine. I used nutserts and countersunk stainless steel bolts. And just painted the old hinge locations. I love how it turned out.
image-1204897401.jpg   image-1354926264.jpg   image-1566597161.jpg  
kylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #115
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

pics on the first page dont work fyi

This thread needs more pics

What did people use to attach the cable to the inside tub of the jeep? Also does the latch open properly without any modification since it was not designed to open downward?
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #116
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
pics on the first page dont work fyi

This thread needs more pics

What did people use to attach the cable to the inside tub of the jeep? Also does the latch open properly without any modification since it was not designed to open downward?
They still show up for me- source link still exists for each.

I should be posting a few this week...have a few things for my tailgate on the laser as we speak.

I'm looking for some different hinges if anyone has input...no problems with the ones on it though. I would just like to have something more professional looking this time around.

Detachable, greaseable, friction(works like a laptop hinge), open/close assist, or anything else you can think of are all still on the table. I will laser cut the hinge's hole pattern into the skin so that everything squares up easily. The plan is to drill straight through the tailgate and use some 2"ish bolts to secure it. This method will be MUCH stronger than self tapping screws...I'm unsure about the "tramp stamp" area for production purposes. I have a fuel cell so it's easy for me to use regular bolts/nuts behind it....most everyone else has a gas tank and would need to use rivets or nutserts.

No issues with the latch.

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
www.NalinMFG.com
Facebook:
NalinMFG
Unread 08-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #117
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

it could possibly be my work computer not showing them for whatever reason, thanks
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #118
higgins192
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylo
Just finished mine. I used nutserts and countersunk stainless steel bolts. And just painted the old hinge locations. I love how it turned out.
Could I have your old hinges?
higgins192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #119
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I ran across some real slick looking heavy duty hinges while working on another project today -- they're for service doors, refrigerators, freezers, and industrial enclosures(and has a nylon bushing for smooth operation.). I may grab a pair and make a skin for the whole tailgate/trampstamp area.

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
www.NalinMFG.com
Facebook:
NalinMFG
Unread 10-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #120
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

start of my new tailgate project

Deciding on hardware.

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
www.NalinMFG.com
Facebook:
NalinMFG

Tags
fold down , mod , tail gate , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.