20 Ton Shop Press Brake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > 20 Ton Shop Press Brake

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
ckhanna71
1983 CJ7 

20 Ton Shop Press Brake

I finally upgraded to the 20ton shop press from Harbor Freight so I made a press brake for it.

Bent 3/8" to alittle less than 90deg, I need to take alittle more out of the springs to let it compress better

Unread 03-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Strong work sir. Press is my next purchase.
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
ckhanna71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raider View Post
Strong work sir. Press is my next purchase.
thanks, it's not something you typically use everyday but sure is nice to have around
Unread 03-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
zboss86
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What size plates did you use and what would you change if you had to do it over?
Unread 03-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
rd94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

that is nice!
I also second zboss86
rd94yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 05:24 AM   #6
ckhanna71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss86 View Post
What size plates did you use and what would you change if you had to do it over?
I used a 3/4" x 8" x 22" plate for the bottom, and 1" x 4.5" x 18" for the press plate. I think I would use alittle bigger angle iron since when I bent the 3/8" flat steel you can see where it flattened out the sharpness of the press plate.
Unread 03-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #7
Bulla
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhanna71

I used a 3/4" x 8" x 22" plate for the bottom, and 1" x 4.5" x 18" for the press plate. I think I would use alittle bigger angle iron since when I bent the 3/8" flat steel you can see where it flattened out the sharpness of the press plate.
It looks like you have a piece of angle welded to the 1" break. My suggestion would be to lose that and have the edge of the one inch plate either milled or torch cut a bevel on it. This will allow you to achieve the 90deg. without distorting the plate. Then instead of having the angle welded to the lower plate you could have a couple of changeable dies. Smaller and larger angle. Maybe a half pipe for a role. Our shop has a piraņa iron worker and is amazing. The idea you shared has already got my wheels turning for my own press at my house! Thanks.
Bulla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
ckhanna71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulla View Post
It looks like you have a piece of angle welded to the 1" break. My suggestion would be to lose that and have the edge of the one inch plate either milled or torch cut a bevel on it. This will allow you to achieve the 90deg. without distorting the plate. Then instead of having the angle welded to the lower plate you could have a couple of changeable dies. Smaller and larger angle. Maybe a half pipe for a role. Our shop has a piraņa iron worker and is amazing. The idea you shared has already got my wheels turning for my own press at my house! Thanks.
Yeah I agree, I need to come up with alittle something different. I am not crazy with this setup and it needs to be refined
Unread 03-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
03ranger4oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhanna71 View Post
Yeah I agree, I need to come up with alittle something different. I am not crazy with this setup and it needs to be refined
Bulla nailed this one right on the head. The angle iron won't ever get you a true 90, but the bevel'ed plate will.
03ranger4oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #10
ckhanna71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03ranger4oh View Post
Bulla nailed this one right on the head. The angle iron won't ever get you a true 90, but the bevel'ed plate will.
I might be able to get a friend of mine who has a kid that does cnc machining to mill the end for me, good idea!
Unread 03-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #11
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

If you take two 90 deg angles and lay them face down right next to each other, you can slightly shim up the outside edges to get the inner "V" closer to 85deg.. the regular "air bending" die angle. Of course, it helps to have the upper punch with the same 85" angle..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #12
ckhanna71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
If you take two 90 deg angles and lay them face down right next to each other, you can slightly shim up the outside edges to get the inner "V" closer to 85deg.. the regular "air bending" die angle. Of course, it helps to have the upper punch with the same 85" angle..
Oh I see, instead of laying them flat creating the matching 90deg, shim them to make a greater angle. Good thing you can change things up but I wish I would have asked these questions before I got a wild hair to make this thing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.