1991 YJ rear seat belt bolt - cant remove - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > 1991 YJ rear seat belt bolt - cant remove

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 09-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
BRI-NYG
1991 YJ Wrangler 

1991 YJ rear seat belt bolt - cant remove

I decided to replace the rear fold and tumble bench seat in my 1991 YJ. The bold holding the belt harness to the floor behind the seat would not come loose. It is a Torx bolt and it became stripped. I tried a hacksaw to create a square angle to get a pair of vice grips on it, but that did not work. I took it to a shop, they said they could remove it but wound up cutting it off. What is left of the bolt is still sticking up about 1/4 inch, so now I cannot even re-attach the lap belt assembly.
Any suggestions on how to get this bolt out?
Also any idea what the rear fold and tumble seat is work in reasonable decent shape?

BRI-NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRI-NYG View Post
I decided to replace the rear fold and tumble bench seat in my 1991 YJ. The bold holding the belt harness to the floor behind the seat would not come loose. It is a Torx bolt and it became stripped. I tried a hacksaw to create a square angle to get a pair of vice grips on it, but that did not work. I took it to a shop, they said they could remove it but wound up cutting it off. What is left of the bolt is still sticking up about 1/4 inch, so now I cannot even re-attach the lap belt assembly.
Any suggestions on how to get this bolt out?
Also any idea what the rear fold and tumble seat is work in reasonable decent shape?

you're saying some of the stud is left sticking out of the floor?

Your best bet is to drill it out, then get a nut and bolt and reinstall that way.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

THIS IS A BIG FYI TO THE OP, WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!
Directly under that bolt is the gas tank so please take proper precautions if you end up drilling.

That being said, if you have 1/4" sticking out then get a nut that fits over it and get it welded on. preferably a large nut say a 3/4" head on it.

If you can't do that, then I would advise dropping the tank and then drilling the bolt out.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Rusty,

Are you 100% on that? the bolt in question is directly above my differential.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Unread 09-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #5
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4x4xgeoff View Post
Rusty,

Are you 100% on that? the bolt in question is directly above my differential.
Trying to do the math in my head here. I thought the ones in front of the diff were the front seat bolts and the rear bolts were above the tank but now that I think about it, they may be on a strip right in front of the skid plate mount bracket.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 09-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
teamgreen666
1994 YJ Wrangler 

heat the bolt head up with a small torch and then try and get it out from the top or the bottom of the jeep as it sticks out.
teamgreen666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Are you planning on replacing the rear seat with a new one, or are you removing it for good? If you're replacing it, you need to use PB blaster and rustywrangler's welded nut method, it should work more easily than drilling that big bolt out & potentially messing up your threads.

If you are not putting a rear seat in it, why not just grind it flush and be done with it?

[QUOTE=SnowdogMarc] YJ's don't get stuck....they get temporarily impeeded in their forward progress.[/QUOTE]

I'm patiently waiting for the "foot-in-mouth" moment to end... but since I've posted, its not today
YJhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
BRI-NYG
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks to all who have replied to this thread. Yes, I am planning to put in a new rear seat. I purchased one with headrests, because I want to protect my kids against whiplash. The seat I purchased came with a bracket that mounts over the bolt holes for the existing fold & tumble bench seat. The front bolts, two on each side, came out fine. The bolt holding down the rear bracket mount, along with the lap belt mount, was stripped when I tried to remove it.

I have been told that this bolt is directly over the gas tank. I did not think about the rear differential. I like the idea of welding a bolt head to the part of the bolt that is sticking out, but that seems rather permanent.

Ideally I would like to have it drilled out and insert a new bolt. I welcome further thoughts on this.

And if anyone has a sense of what a decent OEM rear fold & tumble seat is worth I'd love to know. I am going to sell the one I just took out of the 1991 YJ.
Unread 09-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i sold mine for 75 bucks

Unread 09-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRI-NYG View Post
I have been told that this bolt is directly over the gas tank. I did not think about the rear differential. I like the idea of welding a bolt head to the part of the bolt that is sticking out, but that seems rather permanent.

Ideally I would like to have it drilled out and insert a new bolt. I welcome further thoughts on this.
I think you got the welding part wrong. You weld a big nut on the top of the existing portion of the bolt and then use that big nut to back out the remainder of the bolt, now insert a new bolt.

Unread 09-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
BRI-NYG
1991 YJ Wrangler 

g4x4xgeoff, thank you for the price info. I was think around $50, mine is in pretty decent shape. I appreciate the reply. Thank you and happy Jeeping!
Unread 09-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #12
BRI-NYG
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Rusty Wrangler, thank you for the clarification, that makes sense. Me = dense today. Thank you!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.