1991 XJ rear shock mounting fabrication - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > 1991 XJ rear shock mounting fabrication

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
haloperformance
1991 XJ Cherokee 

1991 XJ rear shock mounting fabrication

Problem is limited reartravel. Relocated the axle mount to the tube itself instead of it catching rocks. Now i need to raise my upper mounts, more than likely trough the floors. I've come up with 3 basic options for this.

1. Put new shocks at and angle,keep them mounted under the truck, and possibly have them come to a point in the center (like this : /\ ) or maybe have them crisscross like an "X"

2. Cut out the floor and fab towers and tie them into the cage, with a near verical shock position

3. Use ford style towers and mount the on the subframe and run them that way.

4. Cantilevershocks.Probably the most difficult,and i can't see a way to do it without moving the gas tank into the rear, which eats up cargo room.

I've got a roll cage in my Jeep already, and have no problem with tying the shock towers into this. Been doing a lot of searching and not really see something i'm sold on. I use the area for storage (toolbox, coolers, etc) for the trail and want to lose as little space as possible.

1991 XJ: 35"s, 4:56s 5.5"LA lift, stretched, locked, skids, caged, high steer, spray paint. I think it was stock at one point.
<-1978 CJ5 parts - click on my classified
haloperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I would go with option #2 it would be really easy to tie them into your cage.

Here's some pictures I've got saved

Unread 10-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
haloperformance
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks. I haven't come across those shots yet. My issue may be that i want to keep the back sealed up if i'm modding it. I do mostly rocks, but occasionally i have to do some water crossing. Just trying to keep water and debris out. I still have my backseat in my Jeep, just incase an extra seat is needed. I'm not opposed to but not wating to run a spanner from side to side. Again, trying to maximize available room. I guess is's time to roll it out of the garage to put the big tires on and start measuring. Just thinking out loud, i might be able to make something that combines a few of these ideas. If I take some 2x2, maybe 1/8 or 3/16" and cut some V notches it and weld it to make a tower that is similar to #2 but allows multiple shock locations to get the best angle, i could run a piece of hrew or dom up to my cage for strength. I think that if I make it this way, i could enclose it to keep the back dry, and still allow a longer travel shock while permitting multiple mounting angles. (Probably 3?) I will still likely run an off the shelf shock for the rear while running a true long travel up front. My leaves do not flex even near what my coils do, so I plan to save about 200 that way.
1991 XJ: 35"s, 4:56s 5.5"LA lift, stretched, locked, skids, caged, high steer, spray paint. I think it was stock at one point.
Unread 10-06-2012, 03:56 AM   #4
ffjs87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just from a geometry point of view, shocks leaning to the center or crossed in an x will not function as needed. Even in severe articulation, most suspension flex is vertical. The center mounted shocks would be trying to go horizontal. Keep with the idea of in the body through the floor. One idea i thought of but never tried is to make an enclosed box of 1/8 steel rectangular tube with a cap. Come through the floor and anchor to the bottom with little ears. Hard to imagine, but from the side it would look like an upside down U with a tab left and right at the bottom. When the shock pushes up, it will try pulling from the surface below.
ffjs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
haloperformance
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I think i know exactly what you mean. I'm thinking of something similar, but a little larger for the sake of adjustability... But even that may be overengineering things. Even though the travel is near vertical, i think putting it in a larger box tube, like a 4x4, would allow slight movement in the shock itself so that it will not damage the tub by constantly rubbing against it. thanks for the input, too.
Unread 10-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Let me know what you do here. I am having the same issue after my 9" swap and I don't want to put them through the floor either. I picked up the JKS adjustable cross-over upper shock mount

http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/me...ory_Code=Shock

and I am going to see what that does for me as soon as I get some time to install it. Hopefully with that and moving my lower mounts our and down I'll be ok.
Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Someone used electrical grommet(like ones coming through firewall) to seal the hoop tubes coming through floor and had used a cv axle boot to seal the shock coming through. Wish I had a pic it was awesome idea that I had been kicking around nut haven't gone that far with mine yet.
Unread 10-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I just don't want to take up an inch of my precious cargo area. I might think differently once I have a cage, but I'm not there yet, so. . . . No holes in the floor for now at least.

Unread 10-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
64tbird

Im going to do a 9" swap in my xj. Is there a issue with running them in the stock location? Maby pictures?
64tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
haloperformance
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Sandy screwed this plan up pretty well. I'm an insurance claims adjuster in NJ. This won't be even started for a few months.
Unread 11-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #11
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64tbird View Post
Im going to do a 9" swap in my xj. Is there a issue with running them in the stock location? Maby pictures?
Could possibly run shocks from stock xj location. but they wont reach the axle mounts. Axle mounts will need to be moved.
Unread 02-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Did you ever do anything with your rear shocks? My XJ is still up on jack stands in my garage. Working on steering now, so I still have time before I have to address my rear shock issue.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.