1" Body Lift Installation Difficulties - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-25-2003, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Moxley

2017 JK Wrangler 

1" Body Lift Installation Difficulties

This thread is not going to provide step-by-step instructions because those will come with your particular kit. It is intended to discuss problems you may encounter and what corrective actions to take. Much of the advice came from members of the YJ forum.

1. The FIRST problem I encountered was the drivers side rear mounting bolt broke off. There was some type of clip nut inside, which I could not get to because it was blocked off in steel. I ended up drilling out the busted bolt using a series of drill bits. Starting with a 1/4" bit and working my way up to a 3/8" bit. I then used a 1/2" tap-and-dye set with an extension and purchased a new grade 8 bolt from the local hardware store. I found that using WD-40 made the drilling and tapping much easier. Also, if I would have used WD-40 or some other lubricant a day or so before attempting to remove the bolts, it may not have broken.

2. The SECOND problem I encountered was barely catching 2nd and 4th gear after the kit was installed. The kit came with a 1" piece of steel to be welded on the shaft, but I have heard that this is not really necessary on 1" lifts. Looking at my Haynes manual about adjusting the shifting linkage, it seemed like a lot of work and there must an easier way. I ended up pulling the shift boots off and then worked the shift-lever to all positions. I saw where it wasn't hitting the body, it was hitting the assembly itself. I just moved everything back about 5/16" and put the self-tapping screws back in using my drill. Other people have told me it hits their tranny cover, so they mark a 1/2" section around it and then trim it away. If this doesn't correct it they cut another 1/2" section and it normally fits. If these steps don't work you can have another person crawl underneath the Jeep and watch where the interference is.

3. The THIRD problem I encountered was my steering, it was extremely tight and needed adjusting. I resolved the tight steering issue by loosening the bolt connecting the steering linkage to the gear box. I wasn't crazy about doing this but it only slid out 1/4" and there was still plenty of shaft going into the steering box. Other people have told me the shaft pictured second is supposed to slide, up to 3". It was also stated that occasionally you must apply some heat to the shaft because there is a plastic-like material inside.

4. The FOURTH problem was the Radiator Fan was hitting the Shroud. Well, this really wasn't a problem since they supplied brackets with the kit. I heard other people say they were not needed for only a 1" lift, but I had to use them.

Finished project:

Hope this helps someone.

Doug

Last edited by Moxley; 11-10-2003 at 03:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-28-2003, 08:21 PM
BIG SEXY

GOOD LORD MAN!!! I wish my jeep was that clean!!!!!

That thing was so clean you didn't have to put arrows on the places you were talking about. Now on mine, you would need arrows and a highlighter!!

That thing must have been repainted not long ago going by the overspray I saw in the engine compartment... Am I right??

91' YJ,4.0 I-6(180,000 mi) 2" Rancho Add-A-Leaf kit, 1.5" shackle lift, 2" BL, 33x12.50 BFG M/T KM's, 15x8 589's, TJ flares, custom F&R bumpers w/ swing-away spare carrier & rocker guards, FULL ROLL CAGE, herculiner, Warn XD9000i (IT'S ALSO MY WIFES... or was!!!)

Rig Rater score= 476RRv1.0

Its a dog-eat-dog world. and I'm wearing MILKBONE UNDERWEAR!!
post #3 of 12 Old 07-28-2003, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Moxley

2017 JK Wrangler 

hey BIG SEXY, you're correct on the new paint job, good catch! It wasn't planned but my 17 year old Son wrecked it so I had to get the front end re-painted. I spend a lot of time keeping it clean after it gets dirty. I spend roughly 3 hours a weekend going over things and cleaning them - yes, I realize I am obsessed with my Jeep but it keeps me out of trouble! This weekend I am going over the entire underbody and coating it with POR-15. It's paid for and I want it to last another 10 years. Nice hearing from you and I enjoy the advice you give people.

Later,
Doug

post #4 of 12 Old 08-06-2003, 09:27 PM
BIG SEXY

Well there is nothing wrong with keeping them up,thats for sure...

Still cant get over your CLEAN carpet. Mine had the same thing but it had to go. I had a jug of herculiner and there was grass growing IN THE CARPET!! I may need some cleaning tips from ya!
Quote:
I am obsessed with my Jeep but it keeps me out of trouble!
Im so obsessed with mine it actually GETS me in trouble. Not enough attention to the wife...

91' YJ,4.0 I-6(180,000 mi) 2" Rancho Add-A-Leaf kit, 1.5" shackle lift, 2" BL, 33x12.50 BFG M/T KM's, 15x8 589's, TJ flares, custom F&R bumpers w/ swing-away spare carrier & rocker guards, FULL ROLL CAGE, herculiner, Warn XD9000i (IT'S ALSO MY WIFES... or was!!!)

Rig Rater score= 476RRv1.0

Its a dog-eat-dog world. and I'm wearing MILKBONE UNDERWEAR!!
post #5 of 12 Old 01-06-2004, 10:24 PM
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG SEXY
I had a jug of herculiner and there was grass growing IN THE CARPET!!
lol. I had sunflowers sprouting under mine before i herced it. Looks sweet Moxley. Nice heads up to all of us out there looking into this mod.

RIP: '88 YJ 2.5L Ax-5 NP231
Posi-Loked. Herculined. Optima yellow top. 1" Shackle, 2" BDS. Cragar 397's Aussie front.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
post #6 of 12 Old 01-12-2004, 09:15 PM
DanG

bravo, thanks for starting thread. definetly needed one here, now if people look at it before asking the same questions we will be all set.
sweet looking jeep. when i did my body lift i had to use a broom to sweep the mud that fell out.

89 RED YJ
sitting in driveway next to wrecked car

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NEOffRoading
H2RT MEMBER
RED JEEP MEMBER #49
POS JEEP MEMBER #3
post #7 of 12 Old 01-13-2004, 06:19 AM
camperguy

2002 WJ 

I just ordered the 1" Daystar lift for my 94.I called Daystar and asked them if the kit included radiator drop brackets and they said no? I did a 3" body for my last YJ.It looks like the 1" should be alittle less involved.Did you have any problems with the fuel filler hose being to short? I also asked them about my YJ being an auto if theres anything I should look out for and he said the kit included a drop down bracket for the shift linkage.

Thanks for the info...

Bill

2004 Rubicon,5.5" Rockkrawler Long arm,37"Boggers,Warn Front and rear Rockcrawler bumpers,Warn spare holder,Stinger/hood bar,Warn XD9000I,Jeeperman Skidz,Jeepmedic oil/trans skid plate,ARB Safari Snorkel,AEM Dryflow,Gale Banks Stinger,JBA header,Edge TrailJammer TB+ECM,Superior 5.13`s,Warn Diff Gaurds,Super 44 rear w/33spline alloys and detroit locker,BW Pocket style flares, Rock Gear soft top,Trans cooler,Amsoil synthetics....
post #8 of 12 Old 01-13-2004, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Moxley

2017 JK Wrangler 

camperguy,

If your kit didn't come with Radiator lowering brackets, then you can simply modify your shroud by trimming the bottom off. You will see where your fan blade will hit it. Many people do this and it really doesn't hurt your air flow. Or if you wanted you could always order 1" lowered motor mounts. With a 1" BL you shouldn't have any problems with your fuel filler hose.

Good luck,
Doug
post #9 of 12 Old 01-14-2004, 01:00 PM
camperguy

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxley
camperguy,

If your kit didn't come with Radiator lowering brackets, then you can simply modify your shroud by trimming the bottom off. You will see where your fan blade will hit it. Many people do this and it really doesn't hurt your air flow. Or if you wanted you could always order 1" lowered motor mounts. With a 1" BL you shouldn't have any problems with your fuel filler hose.

Good luck,
Doug
Cool Man it is to freeking cold to do anything on the Jeep this week

Bill

2004 Rubicon,5.5" Rockkrawler Long arm,37"Boggers,Warn Front and rear Rockcrawler bumpers,Warn spare holder,Stinger/hood bar,Warn XD9000I,Jeeperman Skidz,Jeepmedic oil/trans skid plate,ARB Safari Snorkel,AEM Dryflow,Gale Banks Stinger,JBA header,Edge TrailJammer TB+ECM,Superior 5.13`s,Warn Diff Gaurds,Super 44 rear w/33spline alloys and detroit locker,BW Pocket style flares, Rock Gear soft top,Trans cooler,Amsoil synthetics....
post #10 of 12 Old 06-04-2005, 02:23 AM
yj kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxley
camperguy,

Good luck,
Doug
For your possible fan shroud problems now would be a good time or good excuse to go to an electric fan.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-10-2017, 06:07 PM
ClarkGriswold

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm curious if it's worth doing a 1" body lift or better to put that 1" (or less) in the suspension lift. Any advice?

"That's nothing to be proud of Rusty. .....fifty yards." - Clark Griswold

Red Jeep Club #488
post #12 of 12 Old 03-18-2017, 01:53 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold View Post
I'm curious if it's worth doing a 1" body lift or better to put that 1" (or less) in the suspension lift. Any advice?
I suggest starting a new thread in the YJ Tech section for your question rather than bury it in a 12 year old thread in a low traffic section.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.