1 7/8" tubing or 1 1/2" pipe? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > 1 7/8" tubing or 1 1/2" pipe?

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
TJnProgress
1998 TJ Wrangler 

1 7/8" tubing or 1 1/2" pipe?

Getting ready to rebuild a part of the previously installed "add-a-cage" kit the PO installed in my Jeep. Trying to figure out whether this thing is made out of 1 7/8"x.148 tubing or 1 1/2" pipe sch 40. I can feel the weld seam inside the stuff, but with it all painted up, can't see any markings of course. Thoughts on how to identify it beyond just a micrometer? Any telltale clues to either?

Also, near as I can tell, this thing was installed sometime between 1999-2001...

TJnProgress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
AtTheHelm

Have you cut any of it up? The wall thickness you stated would say sched 40. 1 7/8 hrew tube with a wall thickness more than .120 wouldn't be very common. If it is nominal 1.5 sched 40 it's probably heavy as a mofo...
AtTheHelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
TJnProgress
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It was very heavy compared to the 1 3/4" tubing I replaced it with. Since we were doing so much to the cage anyway, I replaced all the old stuff. Thank you for the response though!
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnProgress
It was very heavy compared to the 1 3/4" tubing I replaced it with. Since we were doing so much to the cage anyway, I replaced all the old stuff. Thank you for the response though!
All that work and no pics?
Unread 03-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
TJnProgress
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry, posted pics of the tire carrier addition on a separate thread. Here's a pic of the old cage with the tubes running down in front of the dash. Serious knee knockers...

Unread 03-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
TJnProgress
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here's the new cage. Still have to add a few gussets and pull the cage to finish all the welding, and I hadn't started on the tire carrier yet when this pic was taken. Decided against the V tubes down the middle of the windshield. Eventually the A and B pillars will be tied to the frame, but for right now they just sandwich the tub with 3/16" plate.

Unread 03-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #7
AtTheHelm

Great work! Even added a legit oh sh** handle!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.