1/4" plate vs 1/4" flat bar? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > 1/4" plate vs 1/4" flat bar?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-17-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

1/4" plate vs 1/4" flat bar?

Is there any difference between 1/4" plate and 1/4" flat bar? I'm pricing some material for my XJ (bumper brackets, winch plate, etc.) and the guy at the metal store said I'd be better off getting the flat bar. It's definitely a cheaper route and it comes in width's from 2" to 12" so I could get what I need - I'm just curious if it's any different than plate?

Thanks.

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
tweba99
2008 JK Wrangler 

No, there is no difference. Flat bar is what I used to build my rear bumper since it came in the widths I needed and I only had to make the vertical length cuts that I needed.
tweba99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweba99 View Post
No, there is no difference. Flat bar is what I used to build my rear bumper since it came in the widths I needed and I only had to make the vertical length cuts that I needed.
Awesome thanks and that's what I was thinking about - only having to make one cut!

COTM - October 2012!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
Unread 11-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Only downside to using flat bar instead of plate would be the "mill scale" on the HR flat bar.. easy enough to clean off though.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Only downside to using flat bar instead of plate would be the "mill scale" on the HR flat bar.. easy enough to clean off though.
Ah - that's what that is. I wasn't sure if it was different material because of that. I've got some 2" flat bar sitting in my garage and I knew it was different than plate - now I know why.

Thanks...

COTM - October 2012!

Quote:
Unread 11-18-2008, 02:41 PM   #6
Dlongj
1997 ZJ 

To be extremely honest right now. All Flat/Plate 1/4" Mild Steel comes with millscale. I am currently a Welder in a shop and the only way it comes off is with a grinder unless! you get cold rolled which is little spendy
Dlongj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlongj View Post
To be extremely honest right now. All Flat/Plate 1/4" Mild Steel comes with millscale. I am currently a Welder in a shop and the only way it comes off is with a grinder unless! you get cold rolled which is little spendy
True, but the millscale on flat bar seems to be thicker for some reason.. it flakes all over when you form it.

Raskull - Metallic Silver '03 Jeep TJ Sport (pic)
http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom front bumper build
Custom rockers build
My build thread
raskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
Dlongj
1997 ZJ 

That is also true. It does tend to flake when you heat, bend, or roll it. But in reality it doesnt hurt much. Just grind her down with a soft pad 40/60 grit works great and then paint her up.
Unread 11-19-2008, 03:31 PM   #9
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

If I'm working with small pieces of hot rolled stuff, I toss it in a bucket with a Muriatic Acid/Water mixture for an hour or two. Pull the pieces out, rinse them off and most of the mill scale will wipe right off.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
Dlongj
1997 ZJ 

That also would be great. A little time consuming i would have to say.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.