ZJ Gauges Compatible with XJ Computer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > ZJ Gauges Compatible with XJ Computer?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

ZJ Gauges Compatible with XJ Computer?

I'm in the process of swapping an OBD2 4.0 from a '98 XJ into my '86 CJ. Here in California, I need to have a functioning CEL in order to pass smog and get registered. I understand that the PCM does not have a direct CEL output, but rather sends a message out on the CCD Bus, and the Gauge Cluster receives and interprets that message to turn on the CEL. My plan is to use a '98 gauge cluster to get the functionality I need, basically creating a "Black Box."

I do not have the gauge cluster from the donor vehicle. My question is, will a ZJ gauge cluster be compatible with the XJ PCM? Or, another way of asking is, are the CCD Bus messages the same between the XJ and ZJ?

I ask because there seem to be a lot more ZJ gauges available out there than XJ. Thanks.

SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Xj computers do not seem to work in zj's. So probably not going to work with the gauges.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 12:05 AM   #3
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I have an XJ(from a 98) one you can have for shipping.

If you want it, let me know and ill figure out shipping.
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansCJ View Post
I have an XJ(from a 98) one you can have for shipping.

If you want it, let me know and ill figure out shipping.
Wow! That'd be great! I'll PM you the details. Thanks!
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.