YJ, SBC, TH400, now what?!?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > YJ, SBC, TH400, now what?!?!

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 02-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
forhiremarine
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ, SBC, TH400, now what?!?!

Hey guys,

Just finished a SBC transplant into my YJ and have been left wondering where to go now. This is why I have come to ask you men for advise on what would be the best route to go. Currently, my YJ has a Rubicon Express 4.5 extreme duty lift, 1 inch body lift, TH400, NP231 w/SYE, Ford 8.8 rear, and Dana 30 front.

My end goal "years from now is to have a 4link front and year but that is a fantasy for now. As far as axles, suspension, etc what advise do you guys suggest I try? My budget has to stay in and around the 6K range. Any lessons learned and suggestions are welcome.

I was toying with putting Chromoly and lockers in the Dana 30, but not sure if it is a waste. Like I said any help would be great.

Semper Fi,

AC

forhiremarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
forhiremarine
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Help anyone??
Unread 02-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
jason m
Web Wheeler

We really cant help you make a 6K purchase on new/ used parts or axle's until you tell us the end goal. Your throwing out a general question that needs info from you for us to make a better guess at your needs

Still going to be driving on the street? do you have a trailer/truck to pull it with? what size tries are you thinking about?

If you search around you will find the normall answers, well from anyone in adavanced, just put a 60/14 bolt in it and 39" tires. But thats cause we dont know what your end goal is, cant help you till you help us with more info.

This is not Pirate no ones going to call ya name's, but no one is going to walk you threw it only to have you say "well thats not my direction I want my build to go"

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
forhiremarine
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Jason,

Thanks, good point. So here are my goals for this YJ. I don't have a truck or trailer to haul it, and I still want to be able to drive the kids down the road for a burger.

In the a few years I would love to install a Genright Stretch coil over system, ton axles front and rear, sporting 40+/- tires. however my budget is to small for that at the moment leaving me with these questions: 1.can my current suspension handle the ton axles until I can afford the coil over conversion? 2. If not, is upgrading my front Dana 30 a waste?

Also a little concerned wheeling to much with the current suspension / axle setup considering my engine dyno'ed at 403hp/438tq.

Let me know what else you need to know.

Semper Fi,

AC
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
CKjeeps
1987 J-Series Truck 

I'm currently doing coils on my yj now. I bought the axle brackets from rough stuff. I'm using TJ front springs on all four corners. I'm going straight from frame to axle so no offset on the rear. I'm unsure on the front yet. If you buy everything individually ( you don't buy parts like truss and buy the tubing in stock length, not precutt) and not use a DIY kit its cheaper. i'll have about 1k in parts for front and rear axle coils. that includes high steer for my 10 bolt. im using a 14 bolt rear. my truss is just 2x2 square. I have 700 dollars in a 4:10 front and rear axles. that includes 30 year old axles, new brakes and calipers. 2 sets of calipers on the rear axle. two for pedal, two of hydrualic handbrake.

What im getting at, is if you are smart and piece together your own kit. it takes some research, but you can get the axles finished for and easy 2 k (that is including lockers). There are dozens of lists of good and bad axles to go from, im doing the ten bolt cuz it has lock outs and I can weld the front and forget about it. the 14 bolt only has a 1k ARB locker so i would look at a dana 60 rear for locker availability. the suspension for 1 k. then add another 700 bucks for miscellaneous stuff no one exspects. It wont be competition grade. it's not gonna be as good as a 10k gen right kit. But it will be road worthy. I'm building for 37's. I have the 5.3 vortec ect.

Being a road warrior, you may consider body cutting, im cutting my rear and raised my front fenders three inches. Boat sides are sexy as well. Don't forget cages and good seats. Seat belts. Safety first.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-betty-white-1464639/
CKjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
forhiremarine
1995 YJ Wrangler 

CKjeeps,

Thanks for your post, very informative. I will definitely have to give a shout one day for pointers. I have a lot of metal tools, the only fear I would have is getting the geometry correct.

Thanks

AC
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
CKjeeps
1987 J-Series Truck 

it's a great time to stretch when your doing this if your wanting to. as for the geometry, there are plenty of calculators. I don't have everything in my skull but i know im doing uppers and lowers at the same length, that way when the axle drops it keeps the same pinion angle. but it does change other aspects of the driveline as well. I think there is a 4 link bible on pirate. if you end up needing any specific help, PM me and i'll do my best to answer or help you look for a answer.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-betty-white-1464639/
CKjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.