YJ Project - Trannies to T-case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > YJ Project - Trannies to T-case

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 12-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
Dunce

YJ Project - Trannies to T-case

Hi,

First off, I'm a complete dunce in the realm of off road. I know very little of the various tried and tested components but trying to absorb everything so beer with me.

Picked up my first Jeep, 87 YJ, a couple weeks ago and ready to start rebuilding. It came with a rebuilt 4.2l, np435, twin stick np205, d44 front, ford 9" rear, detroit lockers, and some other goodies. So, I'm going to take the 4.2 out and put in a cummins, now my question has to do with marrying a new tranny to the 205.. I've read countless articles and threads of builds and mods, but some are incomplete or have some variation that's not applicable.

I'm considering an NV4500 or the G56, but the nv4500 is alot cheaper so leaning toward that. I have the ford 205, counted 31 splines on the trans output. if I want to use the nv4500 and my 205 i think I only have a few options

1. buy the AA adapter kit w/ the spud shaft and shorten the nv4500 output shaft (http://www.northwestfab.com/Dodge-NV...ter_p_251.html)

Does anyone have experience with this? Would the spud shaft be able to handle the cummins torque?

2. Install 29 spline female input in the 205. I believe the proper dodge 205 had the small bearing

I'm not crazy about the adapter as I have to shorten the trans output, but I have read posts of people using the adapters with success if I must. Thanks for your inputs

Dunce is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Why not get a tcase that will mate to the nv4500?
Unread 12-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunce View Post
Hi, First off, I'm a complete dunce in the realm of off road.
In that case, why in the frell are you thinking of changing things before you even know what you're doing with the Jeep or what it's weaknesses may be? It sound's pretty decent the way it is.
Unread 12-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep sounds solid as is. Don't go all overboard on the first round. Wheel it, or spend time getting it to wheel before you swap engines and all that. Second, as much as a Cummins sounds fun it has its place, in the tow rig. If you have more dollars than sense you'll end up in the middle of "I wish it was simple". If anything, engine wise, I'd fund a 4.0 engine and a HO harness and upgrade to obd1 and build a stroker.

4.2 is solid, as is the trans/case you have. Keep and wheel it.
Unread 12-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
Dunce

yea jp, that was the easiest path; I picked up a 29 spline 205 that'll bolt right up to the 4500. I have to upgrade to the d60 front anyways so switching to a passenger drop isn't a problem. I'll save my ford 205 for another project.

I bought it to do the diesel swap, cause I can and it's what I want. It was a solid wheeling rig but it sat for some time and needed some rebuilding
Dunce is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.