YJ Project Ideas. T-bird M90 and motor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > YJ Project Ideas. T-bird M90 and motor

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 11-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
thE_iyE

YJ Project Ideas. T-bird M90 and motor

This is my first post. I'm new. Hello all
So having a jeep is something I've always wanted since my older sister bought her '95 2.5l red hardtop. She has since destroyed that car. It has bad oil leaks, the transfer-case is in-trouble, and it's got all kinds of smaller issues. I don't know everything that's wrong with it, but she's made me an offer of her jeep for a very nice computer of mine, so within the week I'll be having a jeep!
Now, the reason I'm posting is that I'm interested in actually using my jeep, not just looking bad-*** in it. I've got an m90 from a '90 thunderbird supercoup and the block, heads, and all the goodies apart from the rotating assembly (because I used that in my 'stang ) and I was wondering if it's first, possible, second plausible to put that motor in, or if I should just rebuild the 2.5l stock and transfer-case and pop-in the m90 with an IC. What could I expect in HP with both and how challenging will it be?

thE_iyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
thE_iyE

bump
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

If you did some research I'd be fairly certain it could work with minimal adaptation. However, you will likely want to upgrade all drive train to ford stuff. It will be cheaper than adapting ford engine to the fruitless ax5 trans that barely keeps up with a mighty 2.5L. If you ran this setup in another car in gonna assume that you have the technical knowledge to transplant into the yj. Its like anything else, time, money, and a ton of research. Personally not a huge ford guy.
Unread 11-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
thE_iyE

Money is the issue, sadly. Would it be cheaper for me to drop-in a 4.0l from another Jeep? I'm looking at the cost of adapter kits for doing a motor swap and those on-top of the actual parts make me sad.
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

sell off stock parts, purchase ford trans and case. Axles will need a little attention if you want them to live(driving style determining longevity) . I beat stock axles but was never more than a 4.0 with a medium foot. Broke u joints luckily before axles. Not sure how they like forced induction. If you have a basic set of fab tools(or access to) you can easily build mounts and cross member to make this work, and keep a budget.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.