YJ LS Gen III 5.3L Swap - Exhaust Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > YJ LS Gen III 5.3L Swap - Exhaust Questions

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
95YJLS
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yj YJ LS Gen III 5.3L Swap - Exhaust Questions

I'm looking for opinions & experience on exhaust headers/manifolds for YJ LS-family engine swaps. I'm using Novak's mounts.

My original plan was to go with the center-dump C6 Corvette manifolds like many of the YJ-LS builds use with the Novak mounts. Earlier in my swap planning they were cheap and plentiful on E-Bay. I've been watching for a few months, and it appears this is no longer the case. A new set used to go for <$90 for new take-offs (shipped). Now a used set is running $200+

At that price point, I'm thinking of making the jump up to ceramic coated block-hugger headers instead. It seems like there are really only 4 options:

Sanderson Headers (~$500) - These are what Novak sells & uses for their YJ swaps
Hooker 2313HKR Headers ($412)
Advance Adapters 717043-HDR Headers ($242, not coated)
Hedman 68526 Street Rod Headers ($774)

A friend of mine is doing an XJ LS swap, and he wasn't very pleased with the quality of the Sanderson headers. After some research, a lot of people in the engine-swap world seem to be unhappy with Sanderson header quality.

I'm leaning toward trying the Hooker Headers, but I have not been able to find a YJ build thread where somebody used them. Any experience out there with these headers?

Maybe I should just ditch the Novak mounts and go with Advance Adapters mounts - they claim you can keep your rear-dump truck manifolds in YJ swaps with their mounts. Has anybody gone this route with their YJ LS Swap?

Thoughts/Opinions/Experience?

95YJLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
Matt@Flowmaster
Vendor

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Flowmaster also offers a ceramic-coated shorty block hugger header for 5.3L LS motors.

Phone: (707)-544-4761 M-F 6AM – 5PM PST Sat 7:30AM – 5PM PST
automotiveforums@dpbrands.com
Matt@Flowmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
95YJLS
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for adding to the list, Matt.

I snagged a set of C6 vette manifolds for $175 from Ebay. It was more than I wanted to pay for used manifolds, but they have been proven in many swaps, and are still much cheaper than headers.
95YJLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
Matt@Flowmaster
Vendor

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95YJLS View Post
Thanks for adding to the list, Matt.

I snagged a set of C6 vette manifolds for $175 from Ebay. It was more than I wanted to pay for used manifolds, but they have been proven in many swaps, and are still much cheaper than headers.
Sounds like a safe bet. The C6 manifolds should give you about as much clearance as a shorty header. Good luck with your swap!

Phone: (707)-544-4761 M-F 6AM – 5PM PST Sat 7:30AM – 5PM PST
automotiveforums@dpbrands.com
Matt@Flowmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The truck manifolds dumped too far back and hit the firewall when I was placing my drivetrain. On the suggestion of a few LS builds I grabbed some 2010+ Camaro manifolds for $140 shipped from the classifieds on a Camaro forum. they are rear dump but they turn down much sooner and gave me plenty of firewall clearance. I used Advance Adapters motor mounts.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't spend money on any aftermarket headers with less than 1.75" primaries, since most factory manifolds are at or close to that size. You're paying extra, to lose flow.

I had the Hooker blockhuggers on my old buggy (had a YJ grille, does that count?) before I knew better. Fit tight, but had restrictive small primaries and collectors, which leaked constantly.

I build my own now. Cheaper and better. No special tools, just a band saw, a welder, effort and patience.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.