yj 2.5 to tj 4.0 swap questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > yj 2.5 to tj 4.0 swap questions

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
rusty92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

yj 2.5 to tj 4.0 swap questions

Hey guys i just started doing my motor swap. I have a 92 yj with a 2.5 five speed and i got a complete swap from a 99 tj five speed. My motor brackets are being moved right now. My question is more geared to the wiring harness. Im under the impression i need to get a pcm and wiring harness from a 4.0 yj to convert the new motor back to obd1. Can i use my 2.5 harness and just add wires for the two new injectors? Or are they completely different? Also i read somewhere that i should change my flywheel to a yj 4.0. Is that necessary. Any help or links to more info would be really appreciated. Ive been doin alot of research but most swaps are between same years i havent found much info on tj motor into yjs thanks

rusty92yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
rusty92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Anybody?
Unread 04-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
colaman24
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You need the engine harness and PCM from the 99 engine, you could make your own harness. But better off going on eBay and finding one
colaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Convert to the yj 4.0 obdi set up. Unless you have the tool to add pins to the connector at the ecu, adding writes isn't much fun..of course, the wires would have to come from a 4.0 harness anyways, or extra 2.5 harness
Obdii would be better, but is an order of magnitude more work. I'd do it personally. Obdii is a much better system to work with.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
madyj90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Rusty92 YJ, I was wondering how far did your motor mounts need to be moved for the swap?
madyj90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
tequilamike
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Some things you will have problems with

Crank position sensor is in a different location.
Tranny mount holes have different diameter . Tj bolts are larger.
Clutch setup is different.
If you get creative you can use tj external slave with yj clutch master cylinder.
tequilamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
rusty92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry i never got back to this site. Swap went well, pain in the butt but its done and she runs great. Had many issues and many hour of modding brackets to make everything work. Couldnt get my ignition to work with the swap, so installed a starter button and she is still running great.
Unread 12-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
rusty92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

To mady j90, i dont know exactly how far the brackets were moved. I bolted mounts to engine, droped it in place, adjusted it where i thought it should be and drilled and screwed the brackets in place, pulled motor back out trailered the jeep to my friends house and had him weld them in place
Unread 12-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
rusty92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Also i swapped everything to obd1. It was worth it in the long run, but shoulda did the chevy 5.7 swap. Only reason i didnt is because i was told i woukd b changing the rear end cause of the torque. Shorty after the swap i exploded the rear anyway haha u live u learn

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.