Y-link front suspension - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Y-link front suspension

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Reply
Unread 12-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
Scooter402
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chester Springs, PA
Posts: 566
Y-link front suspension

I've been scouring the net...

I'm going to build a coilover front suspension for my CJ...No, it's not a crawler/trail rig, this is for mud racing. So I don't need 28 feet of wheel travel. I've been thinking of doing a radius arm setup, but in my "mind drawing board" I'm having some issues with where/how to mount a panhard.

Then I started thinking again...what about a y-link? Unless I'm thinking about it completely incorrectly, I don't think a y-link needs a panhard for lateral axle movement...or does it? Who has run a y-link? Do you really need a panhard? I mean, the only way I could think to figure it out was to just do it and see, seeing as I have over 5 months til racing season here...any input from the pros?

Scooter402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
jkl
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Under my Jeep in Lakeland, Fl
Posts: 1,701
Yes you need a trackbar. Mount the driver side on the frame and pass side on the axle keeping it flat as possible but the same length and angle as the drag link. Ruff stuff specialties has a nice kit with everything you'll need.
__________________

'13 10th Anniversary Unlimited Rubi
'05 LJ on 35s
1 Ton XJ on 40s...went up in flames :(
1 Ton Scrambler Build Thread:"Project Taildragger"
...now parting out
jkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
Scooter402
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chester Springs, PA
Posts: 566
I can come across enough scrap steel to make myself a trackbar, the problem is as low as I want to get it, I'm not sure what kind of room I'm going to have...

My question is why do I need a track bar? With the upper "links" of the Y essentially being triangulated, does that not eliminate lateral movement?
Scooter402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario, Cali
Posts: 6,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter402 View Post
I've been scouring the net...

I'm going to build a coilover front suspension for my CJ...No, it's not a crawler/trail rig, this is for mud racing. So I don't need 28 feet of wheel travel. I've been thinking of doing a radius arm setup, but in my "mind drawing board" I'm having some issues with where/how to mount a panhard.

Then I started thinking again...what about a y-link? Unless I'm thinking about it completely incorrectly, I don't think a y-link needs a panhard for lateral axle movement...or does it? Who has run a y-link? Do you really need a panhard? I mean, the only way I could think to figure it out was to just do it and see, seeing as I have over 5 months til racing season here...any input from the pros?
All depends what you are building if you use the Ylink/ wishbone as an upper control arm you do not need a panhard bar. The thing that gets screwy is the steering, unless you use full hydraulic, this is more of an issue for street/offroad rigs since this setup is hard to make work without getting bumpsteer. For mudpit/ and sand drags it shouldn't be as big an issue
__________________
My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Scooter402
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chester Springs, PA
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
For mudpit/ and sand drags it shouldn't be as big an issue
This is exactly what this jeep is built for. No more, no less...



I suppose I need to do more research on the setup, though. Not entirely sure I'm following you on using the y-link/wishbone as an upper control arm...I thought that was the whole point of the y-link?

My impression of the y-link was the lower part of the link going from the frame to the underside of the axle, then a link going from somewhere in the middle of the "lower link" to the top of the axle, some distance inboard of the lower.

I understand my description is very crude, but is that not the basic understanding? Or are you talking about a wishbone upper control arm?

The steering is something I'm not entirely worried about at the moment. I've got a couple of plans in mind for that...I'm really more concerned with getting the suspension set up right. The steering should be "fairly simple..." I'm putting that in quotations because I'll probably come back and kick myself square in the arse for saying that.
Scooter402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
jkl
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Under my Jeep in Lakeland, Fl
Posts: 1,701
This is what I was refering too, and I think the op is too




I believe aw12345 is refering to this

__________________

'13 10th Anniversary Unlimited Rubi
'05 LJ on 35s
1 Ton XJ on 40s...went up in flames :(
1 Ton Scrambler Build Thread:"Project Taildragger"
...now parting out
jkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
Scooter402
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chester Springs, PA
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkl View Post
This is what I was refering too, and I think the op is too



That's exactly what I was referring to. The triangulation involved with the "upper link" is why I'm still confused as to why one needs a panhard bar. And what about putting that on both sides? I don't really know if that would help or hinder the situation, though.

I guess at the end of the discussion, what I am describing is a glorified radius arm setup...but my confusion still lies in the original question of the panhard.
Scooter402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
jkl
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Under my Jeep in Lakeland, Fl
Posts: 1,701
You have to have that setup on both sides. You need a panhard cause that setup does not address lateral movement. A triangulated 4 link with full hydro steering would not require a panhard bar.
__________________

'13 10th Anniversary Unlimited Rubi
'05 LJ on 35s
1 Ton XJ on 40s...went up in flames :(
1 Ton Scrambler Build Thread:"Project Taildragger"
...now parting out
jkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario, Cali
Posts: 6,408
Front trilink is just the same as a rear trilink provided you use a wishbone either upper or lower which takes care of the trackbar issue. You are thinking more along the lines of three straight links and a trackbar. If you use a wishbone in a trilink setup the trackbar isn't needed. It's easy to get these two confused since they are both considered trilinks
__________________
My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #10
Scooter402
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chester Springs, PA
Posts: 566
Okay, I thought I had seen some Y-link kits for TJs that only had the upper link for one side of the axle, I guess so it gets better articulation. I understand that the triangulated 4 link does not need a panhard, but I guess I still don't quite see the light here. I guess maybe I'll just have to get things set up on jack stands and see what kind of room I'll have under the engine. I don't think I've heard of many use a 4 link front unless it was on a retarded amount of lift. Just for perspective on what height I'm going for here...I'm looking to have a "stock-ish" height CJ on 38.5" Boggers....so low is where I'm going here. The coilovers I've got are 9" travel (I believe...pretty sure they weren't 7). So obviously 4.5 inches travel in either direction if they were set up to ride in the center.
Scooter402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
Scooter402
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chester Springs, PA
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Front trilink is just the same as a rear trilink provided you use a wishbone either upper or lower which takes care of the trackbar issue. You are thinking more along the lines of three straight links and a trackbar. If you use a wishbone in a trilink setup the trackbar isn't needed. It's easy to get these two confused since they are both considered trilinks
I'm not really thinking of three straight links...What I'm thinking of is a modified radius arm setup with no track bar. Basically a 2 link, if there really is such a thing. I've seen the wishbone 3 link setup in a rear suspension, and seen pics of the same on a front, but once again as previously mentioned with a ton of lift. I'm trying to keep it low...once too often I've come out of a mud pit pretty hot, gotten a little squirrly, and ended up on 2 tires and nearly had to test out my roll cage. A lower COG (which is really my target here) would help things tremendously.
Scooter402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 05:25 AM   #12
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario, Cali
Posts: 6,408
For keeping the nose down with coilovers a center limit strap works wonders.
No reason a wishbone cannot work you can use the wishbone as the lower arm and to upper links if clearance for a upper wishbone is an issue.
A friend of mine uses an upper wishbone in the front on his TJ/LJ 6
Gives good flex and what not, just causes bump steer.
__________________
My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 05:30 AM   #13
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario, Cali
Posts: 6,408
A Y link or wishbone would mount 2 points on the frame and the one center point on the axle holding it in place. from there you could still use radius arms to axle to hold it in place.
__________________
My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 05:31 AM   #14
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario, Cali
Posts: 6,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkl View Post
This is what I was refering too, and I think the op is too




I believe aw12345 is refering to this

Yup that is a wishbone.
__________________
My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 05:33 AM   #15
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario, Cali
Posts: 6,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter402 View Post
This is exactly what this jeep is built for. No more, no less...



I suppose I need to do more research on the setup, though. Not entirely sure I'm following you on using the y-link/wishbone as an upper control arm...I thought that was the whole point of the y-link?

My impression of the y-link was the lower part of the link going from the frame to the underside of the axle, then a link going from somewhere in the middle of the "lower link" to the top of the axle, some distance inboard of the lower.

I understand my description is very crude, but is that not the basic understanding? Or are you talking about a wishbone upper control arm?

The steering is something I'm not entirely worried about at the moment. I've got a couple of plans in mind for that...I'm really more concerned with getting the suspension set up right. The steering should be "fairly simple..." I'm putting that in quotations because I'll probably come back and kick myself square in the arse for saying that.
What you are looking at is like the Rubicon express long arm radius arm or what ever it called setup and yes that definitely needs a trackbar
__________________
My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.