Xj rear coil mounting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Xj rear coil mounting

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 03-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Xj rear coil mounting

A lot of people mount the coils under the unibody for a rear coil conversion. What would be some pros and cons of mounting them inside the frame rails.

Most of all thanks too Ian Johnson and the xtreme off-road crew for all their work, and 4 wheel to heal for their part in it too.
egodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
MDNacy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

There is no down fall if done correctly. IMHO it is required if you want to increase the flex compared to leaf springs. By cutting out half of the frame rail you are decreasing strength significantly so you must reinforce the side that you keep and make sure your coil box is strong. I made mine out of 1/4 plate and I reinforced the inner frame rail wall on both sides (this requires dropping the gas tank which I had to do anyways to make new shock mounts). The inner frame wall is now 3/8" thick in this area. I have frame stiffeners, now I just want to plate the rails up to the coil buckets, I was waiting because this requires removing the front leaf mount.

I made mine very similar to Clayton's coil conversion kit as far as the upper coil buckets and mounting.

Here is a picture of mine, notice that I also tied it in to the floor and wheel well.
img_1066.jpg  
MDNacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Stiffer rate coils will probably be better for mounting inside the unibody rails

Most of all thanks too Ian Johnson and the xtreme off-road crew for all their work, and 4 wheel to heal for their part in it too.
Unread 03-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
MDNacy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by egodfrey View Post
Stiffer rate coils will probably be better for mounting inside the unibody rails
Why do you say this?

The spring rate should not depend on the length of spring or the location in which it is mounted (assuming its not mounted on an angle).

It is important to chose a spring rate close to that of the front, this way you get equal flex out of front and rear of vehicle.
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by egodfrey
I think you are correct on this. The further inboard your springs, the more leverage your axle and the weight of the body puts on the springs.
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

That was my though stiffer spring rate will keep the weight of the body more stable reducing body roll when mounted inside, but should flex the same because the axle will leverage the, more, same concept as using a cheater bar

Unread 03-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
MDNacy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ahhh.... I did not understand the question I guess, I thought you meant mounting under the frame rail (like Treks kit) vs inside the frame rail (like Clayton kit). If you are talking about mounting the spring inboard of the frame rail then yes I would agree with the stiffer spring rate.

I imagine that mounting them inboard of the frame rail would cause more body roll, so you would need to keep your sway bar (most people remove the rear for coil conversion). This is because the countering force when turning is closer to the center. Take this to the extreme...think about a very narrow spring stance the counter balance from the body will not effectively keep the body straight as it would for a wider spring stance.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.