XJ 6.0L LS Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > XJ 6.0L LS Swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
XJ Jeremy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

XJ 6.0L LS Swap

The swap has started.

2000 6.0L LQ4 and 4L80E in to a 2000 XJ. Headers and engine mounts should be here Thursday.

I know there may be better options, however this is a budget build (I have a hard time saying BUDGET on this project) and I got a deal on the engine and tranny. I am taking my time working on it in between customers cars, so this may take some time. I will do my best to make this as clean of a swap as I can.

This is what I started with. (Yes that is a 2wd 4L80E, I will be converting it to 4wd).

Repairing the 3 exhaust manifold bolts.

After new gaskets and some paint.

Trimming the intake.

Waiting on the headers, mounts and oil level sensor plug from Novak.

XJ Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice. My next build must have an ls. I've got a stroker in one and tbi 350 in another project. Glad to see it staying efi. I've seen too many brand new engines with carburetors lately.
Unread 01-16-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
XJ Jeremy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Removed the dash and started removing the engine today. I'm removing the dash so I can remove all unnecessary wires and make room for the ECU. I want the engine bay to be as clean as possible.

I also picked up a new p/s pump for a 03 1500 dew to the fact the LQ4s have a pump with hydroboost. You can plug the extra return port on the pump, but I don't want a hose with a bolt in it and now I know I have a good pump.

I tracked the Novak order and everything will be here today.

Unread 01-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome! Dont see motor swaps in XJs often.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #5
XJ Jeremy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The headers, mounts and oil level plug came in from Novak.

Installed the mounts and test fit the headers.

Cleaned the headers with acetone.

Baked at 250 degrees for 30 minutes.

Took one out at a time and coated with VHT High Temp header paint wile it was still hot so it would bake the paint.

Reinstalled the headers with 1/8" bead of Permatex Ultra Black high temp RTV.

Unread 01-18-2014, 10:36 PM   #6
XJ Jeremy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Today I was able to finally get some work done. First I removed the engine and tranny. Then removed the main harness and started removing unnecessary wires. NOT fun at all! My plan is to try and use the factory gauges (I have not seen a wright up where anyone had success) and mount both ECUs in the passenger area and fender tuck all of the wires.

Unread 01-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
XJ Jeremy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Still working on the harness at night. But I have made some progress. I test fit the engine to see where I want the harness to enter the cab and see where I could run the fuel lines. Very tight, but she fits. I am VERY glad I did not waste my time trying to make engine mounts. Novak did a great job on these and well worth the money. I got the bay clean and started painting.

Has any one used the Novak Fuel System Integration Kit?
http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/f...uel_module.htm

Unread 01-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #8
XJ Jeremy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The GM harness is almost done. I just have to extend the trunk of harness to the PCM. I tucked the harnesses under the fuel rails to hide them the best I could.

Unread 01-27-2014, 09:03 PM   #9
XJ Jeremy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well, it was a very productive day. I was able to finish the GM harness, mate the trans, and install the engine and trans for the last time.

Unread 01-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #10
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sub'd. Holy crap so awesome!

cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #11
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Beautiful! I'll have to wait a while to do this but id rather learn from someone else's mistakes, thanks in advance!
Unread 01-31-2014, 02:37 PM   #12
XJ Jeremy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have not been able to get much done due to the weather in Atlanta. Driving around these people who have never been in the snow is not fun but its good for business! However we did get out and play a little with our other XJs.

I finished putting the frontend back together to measure for the radiator. Put on the 6.0L emblems. I got the power steering plumed using the stock 6.0 pressure hose and the Jeep return hose. I did have to bend the lines and trim the return to make them work. I will have a new pressure line made later to make it look better in the bay, but for now this will work.

[URL=http://s147.photobucket.com/user/JeremyB07/media/2000%20XJ/20140130_164048_zpsx3ah2ile.jpg.html][/URL
Unread 02-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #13
Bama_WJ
2001 WJ 

Great work!

I love the attention to detail in the wiring and not making it look like a rats nest. Look forward to seeing how you incorporate the stock gauge cluster.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #14
XJ Jeremy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Today I was able to get the battery relocated to the back, run the new 2ga to the starter, install the starter, make new 4ga grounds, and start on replacing the wire harness in the 4L80E. The 4L80E is notorious for the harness to leak at the seal or through the connectors. I ordered a revised harness to prevent this issue.

Unread 02-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #15
XJ Jeremy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I was able to finish replacing the harness in the trans today and send off the ECU to lt1swap.com for programing. Then I started working on installing the Jeep under hood fuse box and PCM under the back seat. Then took a drive to Summit Racing to look at radiators. After looking and measuring 20+ I picked one to try out. Its a Griffin Pro Series 22x19x3 2 row rated for 400hp. I know its not a direct fit and its not the typical 35x11 XJ radiator, but if my measurements are correct it will work way better and save me tons of money $170 vs $650+.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.