Willys pickup-front driveshaft hits - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Willys pickup-front driveshaft hits

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
bikenstud

Willys pickup-front driveshaft hits

On my Willys pickup (somewhere between 1956-1959) someone shoehorned in a BIG gm v8! There is an Advance Adapter between the trans and the bellhousing. Shifts fine(after new synchros). The yoke on the front driveshaft is loose (or has been loosened) from hitting the edge of the bellhousing. The bellhousing is open on the bottom (I've seen the same on automatic transmissions that use a sheet metal torque converter cover). I know the clearance is not right. What is the correct bellhousing that is usual in the swap? ALSO- with a v8 does everyone's distributor hit the firewall. This was a well used farm truck- if something broke or fell off they just welded it back on.

bikenstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
lar308

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The early GM bell housings are steel, and wide where the rear engine mounts were located. You can gain clearance by using a smaller fly wheel bell housing, at the lose of clutch strength. what distributor are you running now? There are smaller cap designs than the larger cap HEI's. Ron
"Snowball" 1990 YJ, 4.2, Weber, HEI, 1"bl, 3.5" superlift springs, .5" ground pounder fab boom shackles, dana 44 front, 4.10, powerlok, 4340 axles, 1 ton tierod ends, dana 44 rear, 4.10, grizzly locker, 4340 axle shafts, Tom Woods SYE & rear shaft, 35" MTR's on V5 cragars, home fabed front bumper, M8000 warn (for now, 8274 soon)
lar308 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.